John Locke Foundation Fumbling in the Cold

by Richard Littlemore (cross posted from his DeSmog blog )

The John Locke Foundation's environmental front EnvironmentNC has this goofy post celebrating record snowfall in Switzerland and cold temperatures in South America as proof that the climate isn't changing.

As even the most rudimentary primer would affirm "global warming" is calculated on the basis of global average temperatures, not on one-off weather events in a single region or country. All theories of global warming also suggest that as the average temperature in earth's atmosphere increases, there will be a corresponding increase in weird weather.

The Locke Foundation either missed this memo or is motivated by some other agenda to try to ignore or deny what is actually happening.


  1. Jerimee

    November 26, 2007 at 10:19 am

    Hopefully global warming deniers are right and 9 out of 10 scientists are wrong.

    Nonetheless it seems that, considering the consequences, we ought to err on the safe side.

    Here is what the NCGOP has to say about global warming.

    Here are North Carolina Democratic Party statements on the environment.

  2. Pirate

    November 28, 2007 at 9:27 am

    That would be 9 out of 10 social and physical scientists, not just physical scientists, Jerimee. About 40% of climatologists disagree with the idea that human activity is the cause of global warming and the other 60% disagree on the extent to which human activity is having an affect. Most solar scientists believe the sun is the actual cause of global warming and that variations in the output of solar energy have an affect on global temperatures. It is only when you through in the opinions of political scientists, sociologists, and philosophers who have no training in climatology whatsoever do you get that 9 out of 10 figure.

    “‘global warming’ is calculated on the basis of global average temperatures, not on one-off weather events in a single region or country.” Why is it that Katrina, wildfires in California, the tsunami and virtually every bad thing that happens in the world is blamed on global warming then by the alarmists on the left?

  3. ncprogressive

    November 28, 2007 at 10:01 am

    The 9:27 AM comment from “Private” is a cheap, clumsy and reprehensible attempt to cloud the issue. Not a shred of documentation accompanies its odd claims. Its failure to reference the international panel on climate change, or mention the sheer volume and clarity of the evidence of climate change shows this submission to be irresponsible and diversionary. The last paragraph’s complaint that “alarmists” blame “virtually every bad thing that happens in the world” on global warming is ridiculous on its face.

  4. Pirate

    November 29, 2007 at 10:06 am


    “A more recent indicator comes from the U.S.-based National Registry of Environmental Professionals, an accrediting organization whose 12,000 environmental practitioners have standing with U.S. government agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy. In a November, 2006, survey of its members, it found that only 59% think human activities are largely responsible for the warming that has occurred, and only 39% make their priority the curbing of carbon emissions. And 71% believe the increase in hurricanes is likely natural, not easily attributed to human activities.”

  5. Max

    November 29, 2007 at 11:31 am

    What’s even goofier than this objection is that ACC (anthropogenic climate change) dogmatists refuse to acknowledge a) natural variability, b) the notion that warming may result in net benefit even if its anthropogenic, or c) that the Union of Concerned Scientist is not composed of climatologists. I’ll pass over the problematic issue of consensus.

Check Also

Response to Sticker Shock: More Expensive Than What?

From Guest Blogger Cathy Hope of the Georgetown ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

When Andrea Hudson was pulled over for a routine traffic violation in 2013, the police officer found [...]

Right now in Shenzhen, which, with 12 million people is the fastest-growing city in China, a young c [...]

On Tuesday, Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger—one of the state’s most powerful Republican politic [...]

Unsurprisingly, the agenda for the General Assembly's "short session" that commences [...]

The post Bite the Apple & NC’s HB2 Legacy appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

When I headed off to college, I could not have predicted that many of the funding streams, positions [...]

For those who pay only periodic attention to the ins and outs of lawmaking in the North Carolina Gen [...]

The post Know your ‘Thug’ appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

Now hiring

NC Policy Watch is now hiring a Managing Editor – click here for more info.