Small Business Owner Speaks Out on Health Reform

Last week I sat down with Lou Meyers, a small business owner in Durham since 1986, to talk about his vision for national health reform. Lou has a great perspective as a small business owner who has to deal with rising costs and insurance company red tape. His views on health reform are worth hearing.

YouTube Preview Image

1. North Carolina Dating

May 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm

I totally agree with Lou. This ideas should mobilize to our government officials! particularly the Department of Health!

2. Andrea Miller

May 29, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Hear, Hear! Everything that Lou says is absolutely true.

3. [...] video is worth each of its four [...]

4. Ann E Malone, RN

May 29, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Lou, you are my hero!!!!!!!! I am a nurse who is so ashamed of our country’s profit-driven health care system that I can barely stand to work within it, so I spend a lot of time volunteering as an activist for far-reaching health reform. The ideal solution is improved Medicare-for-All (aka Single payer), yet I do believe that due to our corrupted political process teh best we can get in the first step this year is a strong public plan option alongside strict new rules on the private insurance industry.

Lou and other small business owners, and every other type of decent caring person in this country can help make these changes happen. It will take lots of us to create the Tsunami that Lou talked about, but as he said in so many words, we’re fired up and ready to go! Kudos to the NC Justice Center and btw I sent this out to activists all over the country who’ve sent it out all over the world.

5. Ray Stever

May 29, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Great Job! All small business owners should watch this. As we say in Jersey Single Payer is Simple, Economical and Human.

I will post this on my coalitions website.www.njoneplan.org

Thanks Lou

6. Tom

May 29, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Lou,
    I too am a small business owner.. Everything you said is right on the money.. I’m tired of having to cut my coverage every year because the insurance companiy raises their rates..Meanwhile they make billions in profits.. The fact that our government allows this travesty to exist is a disgrace.. People like Sen. Max Baucus need to be exposed for what they are and that’s whores for the special interests. Single payer is our only hope for a just and humane healthcare system..

7. H. seiler

May 30, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Have you joined your local “single payer” group? If not, go to Healthcre-NOW.org to find out where the local groups are in your state.
    It is the grassroots that must push Congress and Obama to enact a single payer bill, HR 676.

A healthier economy, a healthier populace.

8. H. Seiler

May 30, 2009 at 8:58 pm

OOPs, please fix my typo in the web site in the last message. That should be Healthcare-Now.org

9. Sussan Miller MD

May 30, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I was a small business owner, 15 employees and 5 family doctors. I was embarrased not to be able to provide really first class insurance to my employees because it was too expensive. It is hard to make a living in primary care when the insurance companies cause your overhead to be 65% in order to hire the staff to jump through their hoops. And while the companiy is denying care to my patients and bundling my charges and underpaying doctors (I know that is hard to believe, but true) the CEO of United Health Care took home $20million . I support single payer. Go to PNHP.org for the truth about single payer.

10. Joan

May 30, 2009 at 11:51 pm

Lou is right on target and tells it the way it is. I hear the same comments here in Pennsylvania. Our local media also pretends we don’t exist.

11. sidney moss

May 31, 2009 at 7:13 am

In this small business man;s honest and crttical statement about the need for single ;payer instead of his private insurance plan. The insurance plan gets steadily increasing rise in costs but doen’t provide the service exprected which create a groundswell of disgruntled staff who don’t get the care needed..

this video should be made available in the highest quarters of heath care planners in the democratic party– from Baucus, and kennedy to President Obama and his staff..

12. applepie

June 1, 2009 at 5:15 pm

We should all contact our Congressmen in DC to demand a more equitable national insurance program.

Why should anyone have to pick and choose from dozens of different insurance companies who each present complicated options. One agency should filter out the fine print and offer a comprehensive plan that would shelter every citizen through a graduated rating system. It need not be one plan for all, but a plan that could be adjusted for every income level.

Insurance companies will still get a cut of the profits, but not the whole enchilada. Rise up consumers and speak out loud and clear !!!

13. Peggy

June 6, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Lou,
    I agree that something must be done. I cannot tell you what that solution would look like since I haven’t spent much effort on that thought. My time is spent trying to educate the average employee on how to simply utilize the complicated insurance plan we have in place. It is not only the very small businesses that are gritting their teeth at renewal. I work for a company of approximately 115 employees and can tell you that we start dreading renewal upon receipt of our mid-year utilization report from the carrier. Most public documents are written at the 8th grade reading level. Take an average American and ask them to explain their basic health plan and you’ll not get much of a response. Try explaining to them that they must pay a weekly premium for coverage out of their paycheck, then a co-pay at the doctors office, a co-pay for brand, preferred or generic (depending on the prescription written) to the pharmacy. If the individual needs outpatient surgery the cost will go towards the deductible. Oh, and if are not too ill and can plan the outpatient surgery they may be required to make a substantial deposit prior. On top of all that, I hope someone did not miscode a procedure. That will surely further complicate the issue.
    Let’s talk about trying to be an educated consumer of health care. What a joke. I personally had a procedure and could not determine what the cost would be for me and I work directly with employee benefits. The lab couldn’t tell me how the carrier would pay. The carrier couldn’t tell me what they would pay until they received the coding. The doctor’s office could not tell me how the lab would code the procedure. Can someone please tell me how to get out of this vicious circle? Let’s not talk about introducing the high deductible health plan to the average employee. We’re still trying to educate them on the way the current plan works and get them participating in FSA. FSA – That’s another conversation in itself.
    I could go on…
    If you want the simple twisted and turned into something unrecognizable just give it to Washington. This is exactly what has happened to our health care “prevention” system.
    I fully support your efforts in getting the ear of Washington!

14. [...] affordable option is available to all. National leaders would do well to listen to people like small business owner Lou Meyers of Durham and the other participants in our ongoing series of small business roundtable discussions [...]

15. The Progressive Pulse – Warning

June 18, 2009 at 2:56 pm

[...] business owner Lou Meyers and his son Kohen put this cartoon together. You can click the image to see it in more [...]

16. [...] 10.The Progressive Pulse – Small Business Owner Speaks Out on Health Last week I sat down with Lou Meyers, a small business owner in Durham since 1986, to talk about his vision for national health reform. Lou has a great perspective as a small business owner who has to deal with rising costs and insurance company red tape. … The Progressive Pulse is a blog about the issues, debates, http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2009/05/28/small-business-owner-speaks-out-on-health-reform/ [...]

17. louis vuitton mahina