Cross-posted from BlueNC
Last Monday progressives, civil rights leaders, unions, churches and business allies launched the Reform Immigration FOR America Campaign. Events were held in Raleigh and in Charlotte. And today was the first day of RI4A summit in Washington DC.
Our current immigration law creates a black market for labor. The consequences of this are dire. Because of the outdated system:
- our economy suffers
- families are torn apart
- crimes go unreported
- our neighborhoods are divided by racism
- worker safety and workers’ rights are compromised
- human trafficking flourishes
- white supremacy groups are growing
- our nation is more vulnerable to terrorism
- low-income neighborhoods are under-counted and under-served
- our American values, as enshrined on the Statue of Liberty, are rendered hollow
Democrats need to pass comprehensive immigration reform in order to protect our status as the party of equality, justice, and compassion. Republicans need to pass comprehensive immigration reform in order to promote good business, preserve the rule of law, and prevent their party from being further marginalized. Both parties need to get a bill passed or risk being seen as ineffective and unjust. Elected officials and candidates should think twice before standing in the way of immigration reform.
The suffering caused by our inadequate immigration laws is unacceptable.