NC Blue Cross Sending Nasty Postcards Opposing Health Reform

NC Blue Cross Circulating Nasty Postcards Opposing Health ReformNC Blue Cross is sending postcards around the state. The goal? Get people to fill them out and send to Senator Hagan to oppose a “government-run” health plan. Of course, what Blue really wants is not to compete with a public option health plan, despite their 96.8% individual market share and billions in reserves. This sort of nasty, last-ditch effort to oppose real health reform is just what you would expect from the company who brought you the $3.99 million nonprofit CEO salary.

1. AdamL

October 22, 2009 at 8:03 pm

To think that Barbara Morales-Burke would have her hands in this sort of campaign is just sad.

2. Alex

October 22, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I am glad to find out where the money the State spends on my health care is going. I could not see my Doctor for a rotator cuff injury last week because I have to space Doctor’s visits out with my BCBSNC plan. The money to treat my shoulder is going to fight health care reform. I have alieve and ice.Thanks BCBSNC

3. Adam Searing

October 22, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, Alex has a good point. Every dime of this campaign NC Blue Cross is spending is a dime out of hard working average North Carolinians’ pockets. We’ve asked for a policyholder rebate for years as the profits have rolled in to Blue Cross, but I guess we know what they want to spend their money on.

With the history of the company as an organization whose formation was “never pecuniary gain for those who promoted it” (from the history of NC Blue Cross compiled by the Health Access Coalition), it is a far fall to stoop this low. Disgusting.

4. Lou Meyers

October 22, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Our premium dollars at work!

If these postcards are going to Blue Cross customers whose premiums are jacked every year as their plan deteriorates before their eyes —- this may well backfire.

Probably a better approach would be to mail these to the free riders
    who are worried about mandates that will force them to finally pay their fair share.

5. EBB

October 23, 2009 at 11:06 am

Why to Senator Hagan? I thought she was still ambivalent about a public option?

6. Mason

October 23, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Since the postcards are postage pre-paid, my wife and I edited them in bright red ink to tell Senator Hagen that we support the public option and sent them in.

7. Adam Searing

October 23, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Mason – great idea! I love it!

8. Barbara

October 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I also edited my postcard to Senator Hagan to ask her to support a public option. Maybe if everyone did that . . . . Spread the word!

9. tomdupuy

October 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

You may want to check out these sites also

http://www.PrintsMadeEasy.com <—they are currently offering 100 FREE business cards that you can custom design on their interactive website and they will ship right to you.

You may also want to check out http://www.Postcards.com <— same deal, custom printing, any size, high-gloss, excellent quality and service

10. Marsha V. Hammond, PhD

October 23, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Madame Defarge II : Scrutinizing BCBSNC

Friday, October 23, 2009
    Call Senator Hagan & Support her Against BCBSNC Whom is Waging War on Her

Here’s her D.C. number: 202 224 6342. They’ll ask for your zip code.

Call Senator Kay Hagan and let her know that you stand behind her re: making competition available for BCBSNC. If they’re so good, then they won’t mind the competition….for after all, that’s what capitalism is supposed to be about. Better yet: take the nasty BCBSNC postcards and send them to Senator Hagan—-ON BCBSNC—-w/ a comment that you want her to stand up for a public option and competition for BCBSNC.

11. Olivia

October 23, 2009 at 8:28 pm

I did our card in ORANGE and called, emailed and notified state officials andour reps about this…everyone including Will at AARP who has sent this on. Our Retired STate School Personnel Group had just had a district meeting, and PACS were, as always in my NCAE work stressed as separate fund groups by law from our organizational monies. I bet BC/BS doesn’t even bother tho think that we would question them, but our email to them came back witha verification received from their Customer Service rep. The same day, we got their notice that our youngest son’s individual premium, which we pay, hs gone up 25%…He is healthy, has not gone to a doctor., has minimal coverage, and a $186 new premium..(see the rotator cuff sufferer above), and is all of 23. I am so angry with this abuse of funds by a non-profit (HA!)…and angrier yet at their position which makes health care for so many unaffordable, and useless for those of us who are insured.

12. AdamL

October 24, 2009 at 8:35 am

Great work Olivia!

13. Adam Searing

October 24, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I know, their behavior is outrageous – let’s keep the pressure up!

14. Roberta

October 25, 2009 at 12:20 am

Is is actually legal for a non-profit insurance company to use subscriber money to lobby? I didn’t see any notification on the card that it was paid for by a PAC so it must be coming straight from BCBSNC. I’m going to call Wayne Goodwin’s office on Monday & complain. Shouldn’t we all organize a phone/email campaign to both Goodwin & BCBSNC’s president? There is a possibility this campaign could backfire.

15. Karen

October 25, 2009 at 9:51 am

Let’s hope it backfires big time!

16. The Progressive Pulse – Top of the morning

October 26, 2009 at 6:48 am

[…] up on Adam Searing’s report that BCBSNC is sending out pre-paid postcards to its policyholders encouraging them to send the […]

17. John

October 26, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I just “fired” Blue Cross today as insurer of our Group Health Plan and signed with another company, principally because of this patently naked political attack using OUR subscriber payments without our consent. I sent them a certified letter telling them exactly why they were being fired, and sent a copy to:
    Wayne Goodwin, Commissioner of Insurance, and
    Roy Cooper, Attorney General.

18. […] rate increase – they do control a whopping 53% of the market in North Carolina after all [pdf], and 98% of the individual market and billions in reserve dollars, so they can get away with that kind of thing – and with the other, tries to enlist these same […]

19. […] move is not shocking, given the recent behavior of BCBS of North Carolina. But it is disturbing because while BCBS has some say over national […]

20. advantage web » Blue Cross NC

October 12, 2010 at 5:53 am

[…] 11.The Progressive Pulse – NC Blue Cross Sending Nasty Postcards NC Blue Cross is sending postcards around the state. The goal? Get people to fill them out and send to Senator Hagan to oppose a “government-run” health plan. Of course, what Blue really wants is not to compete with a public option health plan, despite their 96.8% individual market share and billions in reserves. http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2009/10/22/nc-blue-cross-sending-nasty-postcards-opposing-health-reform/ […]

21. ppo web » Blue Cross NC