I agree with Renee Ellmers — let’s focus on the issues

After Rep. Bob Etheridge apologized for roughing up an annoying camcorder toting blogger his opponent, Renee Ellmers, appeared at a press conference with Republican Party officials.

This is what she said about the incident:

But Ellmers, his opponent, appeared at a news conference Monday afternoon with state Republican party officials. She is so new to politics that a GOP news release on the event initially misspelled her name.

The National Republican Congressional Committee, which seeks out good local candidates, was in touch Monday with her campaign staff.

Ellmers said she wants the campaign to focus on Etheridge’s voting record and not on this gaffe. “I hate to stick the dagger in deeper,” she said.

But, she added, the video is out there now and cannot be ignored.

I agree, let’s focus on his voting record. Bob Etheridge stood up for struggling families by voting for health reform.

Here is the 25 word health care policy offered by Ellmers:

I’m a nurse and my husband is a doctor. There are right ways and wrong ways to improve health care. Obamacare is the wrong way.

Sorry children with preexisting conditions, no help for you here! To be fair, her health care proposal is twice as long as her tax proposal. And, as I’ve noted before, the Ellmers campaign is a fount of misinformation. They are lying about health reform. They are lying about a program that helps low-income elderly people obtain basic emergency phone access.

There is no doubt that Etheridge made a stupid mistake. But to suggest that his rash actions on a Washington sidewalk mean we should ignore the good he has done and elect his empty shell of an opponent is an insult the electorate.

1. Adam Searing

June 15, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I wonder if the guy who stuck the camera right in Etheridge’s face is going to benefit from the health reform bill Etheridge helped pass – if he’s under 26, he’s got the right to stay on his parent’s health plan even if he isn’t in college – which seems to be a question!

2. bry

June 15, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Twist the truth to the left a little further? The annoying (asked one question) Blogger (student) was assaulted by a man who thinks he is to important to answer honest questions. Etheridge made a stupid mistake? Tell it to the judge.

3. dave w

June 15, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I wish i was the man with the camera. this would be a bigger story than it is. But mr. Etheridge would not have done this to a man just a kid. Say good by to cogress.

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by north_carolinaBNN, Adam Linker. Adam Linker said: I agree with Bob Etheridge opponent: let's focus on the issues http://tinyurl.com/25pbgru [...]

5. Todd

June 15, 2010 at 11:10 pm

His actions are indefensible. Trying to defend him Adam is almost as bad. Now on the internet is your name attached to a blog defending a member of congress assaulting a student. You should have more respect for your name than that.

6. Nik

June 16, 2010 at 7:53 am

Gaffe? Mistake? Where are you finding these words. A “gaffe” is a verbal miscue. A “mistake” is an unintentional error. Etheridge might be a fine man with a good record, but his actions were a deliberate assault, not a gaffe or a mistake.

7. AdamL

June 16, 2010 at 7:54 am

I’m of course speaking from the perspective of an annoying camcorder toting blogger. Saying that Etheridge made a stupid mistake is not defending his actions. I’m defending his long record of helping North Carolinians. And I’m saying that Ellmers, his opponent, has nothing to offer.

8. AdamL

June 16, 2010 at 8:05 am

His opponent, or the paper interpreting his opponent, used the word “gaffe”, not me.

9. Adam Searing

June 16, 2010 at 9:26 am

From the letters on the N+O editorial page today, apparently quite a few of Rep. Etheridge’s constituents wish he had been even harder on the two fellows with the cameras and blurry faces!

10. Nik

June 16, 2010 at 9:44 am

I would probably want to “gaffe” the little punk right in the nose, too. But let’s be clear – Congressman Etheridge really has to know better, and it won’t help in the long run to try to justify his actions based on what he thinks of the motives of the kid asking the question.

Ellmers’ campaign is helped only in the negative, Nothing about this incident makes her platform any more palatable. He numbers go up only to the extent the Etheridge numbers go down – and that is largely within his control in how he handles the situation. He really needs to put a lasso on the national party folks who released the awful “talking points” I read this morning, too. That was not at all helpful.

To his credit, the Congressman owned up to the situation like a man and said he was sorry. In my neck of the woods, I’d then buy the kid a beer and talk baseball, but I’m not sure that works because we don’t know who they are.

11. WILLIAM MURRAT

June 16, 2010 at 11:13 am

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the N & O letters since they are hand-picked by the Democratic- leaning editorial staff which usually sends any voices of dissent to the trash can.

12. EBB

June 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm

It seems that most of the responders to your comment, Adam, are continuing to be distracted from the important issues: electing representatives who are well informed and have a record of fighting to improve our health care system.

13. Student

June 17, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Bob: WHO ARE YOU? WHO ARE YOU?

Me: (in bear hug) Well Bob, a second ago I was just a student. Now I’m the guy who, in self defense, is going to knee you in the sack till you puke blood – you psycho!