WRAL.com reports on today’s meeting of a legislative study committee on reintegrating ex-offenders into society.
Among the excellent recommendations preliminarily advanced:
- Strengthen and support nonprofit groups helping ex-offenders integrate back into their communities.
- Increase contact between offenders and their families before an offender gets out of prison.
- Assign inmates to both educational and work programs to increase participation.
- Improve job training opportunities for inmates.
- Build networks with private employers and provide incentives to hire ex-convicts.
- Establish incentives to develop housing for former inmates.
Let’s hope elected leaders have the courage to keep pressing ahead with these common sense solutions. Kudos to Attorney General Cooper for taking a lead on this issue.