Perdue left with no choice but to veto unemployment bill

Veto-2011News reports this morning confirm what we’ve known for the last couple of days: Governor Perdue will veto House Bill 383 today — the bill advanced by legislative Republicans in an effort to use 37,000 unemployed workers and their insurance benefits as a bargaining chip to force the Perdue to agree to overall GOP budget targets for the fiscal year that begins in six weeks.

It was a cheap and pointless maneuver to which Republicans knew from the start the Governor would never agree.

Fortunately, if they want to, legislative leaders can still pass a clean unemployment extension bill and have it on Perdue’s desk as early as Monday night.  At this point, it only remains to be seen whether the Republicans will persist with their Wisconsin-like tactics of political brinkmanship or get back to the business of actual governing.

1. PHL

April 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I voted for this woman, who promised to take care of all North Carolinians. I wish she had clarified that she meant only those who can live comfortably. Have you seen her house? Guess we know who she caters to, now don’t we? If balancing your own state budget to prove your abilities means ruining the lives of 37,000 people in this state, then I have one thing to say: sleep well, Governor. We won’t be.

2. Chris Manning

April 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Go governer at this rate your ego matters more than the
    37000 familes living hand to mouth ! Sleep well !!!!

3. PHL

April 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I’d like to add two more things – not that many will read this. I find it interesting that the governor’s website for contact from the public is conveniently down today. The other is that since 37,000 people in this state are unemployed, they should all visit the Governor on Monday.

4. Annette

April 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Website is conviently down, how can you live with yourself knowing 37,000 people in NC will have nothing to live on, I am sorry I voted for you.

5. Doug

April 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Wonder what are the chances of a clean bill being passed Monday are?

6. Richard Stonehouse

April 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Why is it that people can’t figure out the house republicans are adding something to the bill which would be almost impossible to meet. I’m not for the Governor, but give her a break. Why do politicians always have to add a blackmail item to an otherwise needed bill?? The republicans in DC are doing the same thing.

By the way, I am a registered Repulbican, but would like more parties to choose from..

7. f8nbther

April 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

The pubs share culpability in this mess. They can blame Perdue all they want but they are the ones who put together this horrid bill. They are cowards for hiding behind the people who needed this money so they could punch Perdue in the nose. They are worse than terrorists who use human shields. Come on Democrats learn something here and make the republicans own this mess.

8. Clare Bogard

April 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm

The Republicans are squarely to blame in this!! They knew that she would be forced to veto this–yet went ahead and did it ANYWAY!! It just shows that the Republicans are still as MEAN-SPIRITED as they ever were, and care less about the 37,000 people’s families that will be effected by this. The money would not come out of state funds—rather, they are North Carolina taxes paid to Washington coming Back to this state—90% or better would be spent soon–and HERE!! This would help the economy of THIS STATE. YOU GET IT!!

9. Rob Schofield

April 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Thank y’all for your comments. Those of you attacking the Governor on this matter, however, need to get better informed.

Perdue certainly has her faults and has made plenty of mistakes through the years, but in this instance, she had no choice. Had she signed the bill she would have consigned hundreds of thousands — if not millions — of North Carolinians to disastrous service cuts for years to come.

A clean bill can be passed in hours. All that’s required is for legislative Republicans to back off of their nonsensical and mean-spirited position.

10. S. Graves

April 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

well lets just hope it gets done…. cuz if not… the crime rate, homeless rate, ad poverty level is sure to increase dramatically… but hey… then maybe the PD and Sherriffs departments will start hiring…. smh…

I trust no politicians from the countres president all the way down to my old high school class president…… because everyone has an agenda…

Lets get this done people…

11. Rob Schofield

April 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Amen — especially in light of the terrible damage to North Carolina this afternoon, it’s time for people to pull together and halt the partisan games.

12. STEVE

April 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Thanks Ms Perdue,guess welfare line I will be next.

13. frances

April 16, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I am so sorry for the 37,000 unemployed people in NC. My friends and neighbors do not know where to turn. Shame on Perdue. This state should be about our people, not Bev’s campaign to be Governor again. I hope our churches will step up to the plate and give more than ever before. This will be a linger as a disgrace on our state for many years.

14. f8nbther

April 16, 2011 at 8:43 pm

It’s interesting that when the legislative season started, the republicans had a golden opportunity to bury the democratic party through responsible governing and showing they were different in a good way. They chose ideology over responsibility and showed their true colors when they could have involved dems and Perdue. I think it is too late for them now and people see them for what they are. The truth is that the pubs are almost dumber than the box of rocks in my backyard. They are way worse than the democrats ever thought about being. I find it interesting that Tillis is as dumb as he seems to be. I recall him describing his dad as a practical man who taught him a lot, yet Tillis throws tools out of his tool box. And that “no tax” pledge is about the most insane thing I have ever heard of. I just don’t understand. Well, maybe I do. This session has nothing to do with responsibility, rather it has everything to do with punching democrats in the face. It’s all about paybacks, nothing else. Why else would the pub leadership rule with an iron fist. Most of the pubs will tell you that even when they disagree, they will vote with the leadership. And to think they accuse the dems of being in lockstep. Hopefully it will bite them in the ass.

15. f8nbther

April 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Shame on Perdue, Frances? She didn’t put the “extra” crap in that bill. That falls squarely on the shoulders of the republicans. Perdue isn’t my favorite politician right now, but she had no choice BUT to veto that bill. They could have sent Perdue a clean bill. But nooo, they had to punch her in the face while they were at it. No Frances, the republicans are responsible for 37,000 people losing those benefits. Not Beverly Perdue.

16. frances

April 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Perdue established a situation in which she she could blame the Republicans in the General Asssembly. She withheld information, hoping she could lay the blame at the feet of the Republicans. Her polling number reflect the people of NC do not believe her.I do not believe her along with about 70% of the people in NC. Perdue had a choice and she did not choose the people. She selected Bev as she always does. Bev has just handed the Governor’s job as well as the General Assembly to the Republicans for the next several years.
    Choose the unemployed people over your career.!!!! People are hurting and they need your help. For once, think about the suffering of our people.

17. hopin4miracle

April 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm

What are the chances of the Republicans accepting a “clean bill”? Really, the likelihood of them voting it through is not very high. They have used us (the 78+ weekers) as pawns in their budget argument with Perdue. They have to know that without their collateral, their position on the budget must be altered and they aren’t exactly known for their flexibility. In the meantime, I, a single mother of 2, must “do the best I can” to support my children without help from NC Child Support Enforcement… let me guess, no funding to track him down. The little bit that I DID receive in UI was nothing compared to what I made in furniture. Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience to compete with the countless other displaced furniture workers. Thanks a lot House of Representatives… by the way, who are you representing?

18. deg

April 16, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Since I am one of the 37,000 I feel like I am qualified to speak on this, and I say to all the people out there crying about this. What did you expect they are politicians both sides do this all the time. Have you ever seen a bill go through that didn’t have riders on it. Let me spell this out for all of you. The Democrats spend too much money, always have. They like having a dependent class of people. The Republicans are cowards they knew we can’t continue to spend money like we are but because they have no balls they want to try and hang this on her neck. I have been on unemployment for 2 1/2 years. NO ONE SHOULD DO THAT. I hate to break this down for you folks but the system is rigged. The problem is it why should you take a job and work 40 hours when you can do nothing and make the same amount. Had Government been out of all of our ways we would all have jobs and good ones. In the words of the last good President ” Government isn’t the answer to our problems it is the problem” time to go back to work folks.

19. hopin4miracle

April 17, 2011 at 12:28 am

deg, I am also one of the 37,000. I feel like I’ve been on UI forever!!! I used to make $30k / year… nowhere near that on UI! The decisions “our” government made years ago are hitting the “younger” workers in the face. Trust me, I want to go back to work. I want that more than anything. For one of the 37,000 to say it’s “time to get back to work” is like our struggle and efforts are being minimized. I would LOVE to see a “clean” bill passed and I really do believe that the veto of 383 could be the wake-up call that some of the unemployed have needed… that just “getting by” isn’t enough!

20. PCV mom

April 17, 2011 at 9:23 am

THANKS Bev! How many of these 37,000 people live in areas that were affected by yesterday’s storms? And now, with no UI benefits, they essentially have NOTHING. What a great start to Holy Week. Is your goal to let us feel the pain that Christ suffered on his journey to the cross? Both sides need to come together on this issue and reinstate EUI benefits. And it needs to be done NOW. Let’s not waste time debating semantics. You were elected to serve ALL people in NC. Yes, cuts will hurt some who aren’t hurting now, but cutting EUI benefits is an automatic, immediate hurt to 37,000 of the people that YOU represent. Please, rethink this bill, and make it happen.

21. hopin4miracle

April 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

The way I see it, our only recourse is to contact our representatives and remind them who they represent and ask for a clean unemployment bill. This is a viable option… if they’re willing to disallow riders. I do believe Bev felt our pain, but how much of it is to set the State up for a shutdown so she could blame the republicans? It’s all just a big mess!

22. deg

April 17, 2011 at 11:48 am

hopin4miracle, This is what I am talkin about We have people on unemployement for over 2 years because they are not making the same money. I don’t know about your money but I had to learn to do with less. My point was is we can’t rely on the Government to help us. They are either stupid or evil, I haven’t made up my mind yet. When I say go back to work I mean you will not be making what you made before that is just the facts of life we can sit and complain or we can get out and work 2 jobs. Let me ask you a question when you went on it did you expect to be on it this long. If you are like me you had to know it would not last forever. There is ZERO confidence in the economy confidence comes from the top. Our President should be the commander and cheerleader but he is not instead he tells us all the things we have done wrong and spent the first 2 years of his administration blaming the guy before him. This deal sucks but it is what you make it. I was able to go back to school and I am close to being done. I hope you look at it the same way. I will be very surprised if they pass a bill with nothing else in it but we can’t wait on them. Unemployment can’t go on forever it has to end at some point and we need to ready ourselves for it

23. Karen Brown

April 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm

All of you holy than thou talking about you have been on unemployment for two years too many. What a joke did any of
    you refuse your benefits the answer is no you did not and I’m almost willing to bet my right arm you are all republicans. I too
    voted for Govenor Perdue a vote i surely wish I could take back.
    All of you saying why are we blaming her, I’m blaming her because just like the president she has allowed the republicans to play tit for tat with peoples lives. Those of you who say you got too much unemployment and became lazy are you working and just, how many job offers do you get a week. If you are like the average unemployed joe those offers are few and far between. And yes we thought we had the option of refusing a $7.00 an hr jobs for $9.00 an hr jobs so we could continue to eat and pay our mortgages, car insurance and car payments. I have complied with
    searching for my two jobs plus a week and have had few offers. So
    don’t give me any crap about becoming lazy I have been pounding
    the pavement for 15 months. Put the blame where it belongs and
    stop blaming the president how do you people expect him to
    clean up a mess that he didn’t start. Bush had eight years to make this mess and you all expect the president to pull a miracle
    out of his ass. Give me a break!!!!!!

24. deg

April 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm

That’s where your wrong Karen I don’t expect him to pull a miracle out of his ass. That would mean I believe he could do it. We are getting exactly what I expected out of him. He is Bush just WAY more of it. What do you think he will do. The only thing any President can do to help the economy is to get out of the way. You don’t really think he’s going to do that do you? And for the record I never said lazy What I said was there is no incentive to get off of the unemployment. That’s a lot different than lazy. Also I wouldn’t place the bet on whether I am a Republican. You either didn’t read my post completely or you didn’t understand you said the same thing I said. Bush was no prize but, what has made it last this long was all the crap that was done after . I don’t just blame Obama I blame the people who controlled the congress and the senate too. I blame the banks, the unions, people who took out loans they couldn’t pay for. I blame bleeding heart liberals that think everyone should own a home and thinks the Government can take care of us.

25. PCV mom

April 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Let’s stop playing the blame game and become proactive! Talk to your legislators. How many people have written to them? Called them? Shown up on their doorsteps? Yes, unemployment has to end at some point, but when it has been determined that we are, indeed, eligible for benefits, I don’t think too highly of those benefits being discontinued. Yes, I will continue to search for work, but why should I be FORCED to accept a considerably lower salary, when I lost my job through no fault of my own. Will I make my voice heard? YES! But not through engaging in the blame game. At this point, it doesn’t really matter whose fault it is, what matters is that we are losing our benefits, and people are hurting. What matters is that we find ways to fix the current situation.

26. NR

April 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Wow, for those of you blaming Perdue, I would suggest you stop and think about what happened. The republicans added something to this bill that would have forced her to agree to their budget (regardless of what they wanted – most likely cuts to the middle class, poor, education, etc.). This was not only pure evil, but it was also against the NC Constitution (which I believe may even be illegal). They attempted to force her hand in an offensive, disgusting, and manipulative way. They did it to enhance their corporate agendas and bring more money to those that are either massive corporations or the super wealthy, i.e. John Locke, Americans for Prosperity, Art Pope, etc. These are the real enemies of America, both working and unemployed. It is time to start thinking about what these people are actually doing. They have a chance to help the unemployed. They can do an extension without bribery or acting in an illegal manner. Let’s see if they do it or if they bow to their corporate masters and let 37000 families & NC down!!!

27. Randy Dye

April 17, 2011 at 9:53 pm

28. ricky

April 18, 2011 at 12:49 am

well i voted for her and yes i been looking for a damm job all i can get is a temp jobs and her cutting unimployment out well i know i wont vote for her no more need to cut the mexican that come here and get everthing free and the sorry ones that get welfare they sure dont cut there benifit i work for 21 damm years and got shit can so dont tell me about jobs and how the unimployment down in nc that bull shit ill rember you for this gov

29. frances

April 18, 2011 at 8:00 am

I am so glad Perdue is back in North Carolina after watching the horse race in Kentucky. It is sad the the citizens did not hear from her until 11:00PM. We did hear from her staff she was going to veto the unemployment bill. I wonder if she made the decison to veto the unemployment bill for 37,000 people in North Carolina while watching the finest horses in the world race? Is it possible this rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous colored her vision of how her people back in NC were suffering? What color hat did she wear? When I saw her on TV at 11:00PM, she appeared to lack some clarity. Perhaps the decison to stay in the Blue Grass State and veto unemployment benefits came as a result of other factors.

30. Carol is concerned

April 18, 2011 at 10:01 am

How sad that no one in our government can put politics aside and pass House Bill 383…tacking onto it was intended to harm people who need help at this time in their lives….lets get this back on the table, and do it NOW! No riders, please.

31. frances

April 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

So, what should be Perdue”s part to get back on the table? I guess by telling the N&O the truth about her activities.

32. hopin4miracle

April 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

deg, I have been proactive while receiving UI as well. I didn’t live as if it would go on forever. I’ve also been in school for a diploma program so I can “get to work” and then it bridges to my Associates Degree. Ya know, McD’s is doing a mass hiring tomorrow. I’m not saying this to be a smart ass. Truth be told, I could probably bring home more from McD’s than I drew in UI. I have taken temp jobs during the course of the life of my claim. The jobs that were presented as “temp-to-perm” have on more than one occasion ended up being “temp”. The job market has us where it wants us too. They know they can offer a job as “temp-to-perm” and they will most likely get someone experienced to come in, bust their ass (trying to keep the job), and when the work’s caught up, they’re done with you. Unfortunately, they only served as ways to drag out my benefits by working p-t or temp. I was only 3 weeks into my EB when they stopped so at least I MIGHT be able to get retroactive benefits. Ya know, if McD’s doesn’t work out… probably over qualified… again.

33. hopin4miracle

April 18, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What is really troublesome to me is that there are so many workers who began working in the hardest-hit industries when education did not have the value it does today. They chose (if they graduated from HS) between going to the military, getting married, or going to work at the plant. These people are fighting like hell to create opportunities for themselves. They, like rick, have been shoved out of what they’ve known for the better part of their adult lives. I know it isn’t a popular view to have right now, but I do not blame “Mexicans” for our plight. They came here in search of a better life, they were willing to do the jobs that no one else wanted for the pay that others wouldn’t have settled for, and they got their better life. And many of them are in the unemployment line as well. Our government has forgotten whose hands this region was built by… and who, from behind a desk, signed a document that tore it down…they need to be reminded. That’s being proactive. I think I’m done now.

34. hopin4miracle

April 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Do you realize that Indiana managed to pass a clean unemployment bill on 4/14/11. Their unemployment beneficiaries will see NO LAPSE whatsoever. They also did it soon enough that the people who were not currently on EB would be able to receive those benefits as well!!!!!! NC is looking really backward right now…

35. frances

April 18, 2011 at 11:28 pm

But NC has a Governor that does not care about her people.

36. pleasePASSthebill

April 19, 2011 at 12:08 am

I don’t care who’s fault this is! If the bill does not pass me and my kids will be begging for food. I have been trying to go back to school to get a new career and will not be able to finish. I have 5 children to support which i did faithfully without governmental assistance until the economy hit a nose dive. WE need this to pass! I have applied for ALL jobs and can’t get anything!

37. Jeff

April 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I have been unemployed for almost a year and half. I mde 42K a year and now make 20 on UE. I am on tier 4 and have no hope of getting a job anytime soon. I have applied, been interviewed and turned down. I have management skills, and a degree in textiles. I guess I could move to China and use that now since several years ago thats were that job went. Its time for someone with balls to stand up and say enough is enough and stop allowing the State and Federal Governments from attaching anything to any bill except its only intent. The health care bill that the Feds passed is proof enough that we have a F%^$& up system just wait till 2014 people….SURPRISE

38. runningwolf1980

April 20, 2011 at 7:16 pm

i was in prison for a couple years then when i got out i went to work in a plant, i worked my way up in there ranks to be a lab tech with no formal education mind you, i lost my job after a car accident and drew unemployment…ive been to interveiw and interveiw….i have 3 kids and one due in 5 weeks not to mention a tornado came a destroyed my shed and car…..let me ask you a question america…..what am i supposed to tell my kids when the power goes out? of when the water stops coming out the faucet? its sad that a man who did everyday of his sentance cant get a job because he went to prison…..have i not served my time? tell you what before i hurt people in the same boat i am…ill bring it to the front door of these rich snob s.o.b’s

39. FOREVER HUMBLE

April 29, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I’M ONE OF THE 99ER’S, AND MINE WASN’T SUPPOSED TO END UNTIL JULY!,YES, I’M LOOKING FOR WORK LIKE EVERYONE ELSE,BUT IT’S LOW TO CUT OFF PEOPLE’S ENTITLEMENT AT THE END ALMOST.I LOST MT JOB THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN, I WOULD HAVE STILL HAD MY JOB IF I HAD NOT WORKED IN AN PREJUDICED ENVIRONMENT INFESTED WITH CLICK’S.EVERYONE NEED’S THAT BILL TO BE REINSTATED !,IT’S NOT OUR FAULT, WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ALL OUR LIVES!, WE ARE ENTITLED TO RECEIVE IT ALL!AND TO THE MAN THAT SAID”I’VE BEEN ON IT TWO YEARS” well….. THE REST OF US WANT OUR TWO YEARS ALSO!,IT’S ONLY FAIR!.

40. Faith

May 9, 2011 at 10:37 am

Since writing the statement below, one friend who has a wife and two children had his electricity cut off yesterday. If benefits are not reinstated they will be evicted at the end of May. I have also just been told that a 50 year old woman who had no family and was evicted killed herself. As there has been no media mention of this I am not sure as to the validity of that statement. However, I do understand that people just get tired some times and my heart broke upon hearing this at all. I have worked for over 40 years and had hoped to be treated better than this.

Warm regards,

Of the 37,000 impacted, several are also tornado victims. A double slap in the face. Others are rolling off Tier 4 on Federal and are now behind the 37,000. A friend had to move out of his house, rent it and move in with relatives as of the 16th he has no income. Another’s electricity will be cut off tomorrow. One cannot fill medicine as her family has to eat. Another cannot afford gas for his car and is facing eviction. The stress this is causing individuals and families with children of all ages is indescribable. All the while our elected officials know each day that they will have 3 meals, water for a hot bath, electricity to run the AC, gas for their vehicles and that their mortgage payment will be on time.  Many of us are in our late 50s and early 60s and have worked all of our lives. This is the first time we have been unemployed. HB 676 was filed April 5, 2011, first reading passed on April 7, 2011. There was and is absolutely no reason to attach the extension of benefits to any pending legislation. Now this morning we read: “Senate Leader Phil Berger told reporters today his caucus doesn’t plan to try again to extend benefits for 37,000 jobless north Carolinians.“Our position all along has been, we passed the bill that extended the benefits. It’s really up to the House to override the governor’s veto”  Senator Apodaca, can you please tell us  exactly what you meant in your interview with the Asheville Citizens Times? And Senator Tillis what did you mean by the following response to Jeff from a web chat (CharlotteObserver.com) on 4-29-11: Jeff: “When will Speaker Tillis allow a vote on HB 676, the bill that will extend unemployment benefits to 37,000 North Carolinians who lost them two weeks ago on April 16th?” Senator Tillis response: Whether HB 676 or another bill, I am hopeful we will work something out this week. We need to extend the benefits AND we need to avoid the future risk of temporary job losses if we reach an impass on budget negotiations.”  We need help and do not need to be used as leverage in a battle between the elected officials who in actuality work for us. So I respectfully request of our elected officials, in this one instance please join together, set “politics” aside and pass HB 676.