Shaw University Needs an Angel

The tornadoes that devastated so much of the region hit Shaw University in downtown Raleigh hard. The 145-year old college closed its doors for the semester due to the widespread damage across campus.

Shaw University founded in 1865

Shaw, which is the oldest black college in the South, played a pivotal role in the civil rights movement. Fifty one years ago last Friday April 15th, Ella Baker persuaded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to invite university students to the Youth Leadership Conference at Shaw on Easter weekend. At this conference, the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) was born and history was in the making.

SNCC’s contribution to the civil rights movement includes a major role in organizing sit-ins, freedom rides, the 1963 March on Washington and the Mississippi Freedom Summer.

Even before the devastating tornado, the University has struggled financially. In 2009 Shaw took a $31 million federal loan to cover its debt.

Shaw University may need an angel to get back on its feet fast – Oprah are you listening?

1. Joan Jones

April 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm

God bless them and those in that area.

2. Stacy

April 19, 2011 at 1:57 am

What a wonderful piece of history we have here in Raleigh. We need to get this out to the world!

3. Alex

April 19, 2011 at 7:04 am

Shaw is not the oldest college in the South.Maybe you are referring to black colleges. The College of William and Mary was founded in 1693, about 200 years before Shaw.

4. Barry

April 19, 2011 at 10:26 am

Alex, re-read the blog. It states the oldest Black college. And I agree, Oprah, are you listening, or perhaps Bill Cosby

5. Duane

April 19, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Or Michael Jordan!

6. leigh dickens

April 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

It is a constant amazement to learn of the many gems we have right within our reach. What a deeply historic place, so deserving of protection and aid. What can we do to get the word out??

7. Fredrica Clark

April 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm

My daughter is a senior at Shaw University. She’s really hurting to have left the school without closure of her her senior year, I really understand the hurt. But the most important thing that there weren’t any serious casualties in this catastrophe. God allow things to happen for a reason! Maybe this is a gift from go to renovate this historical school.GOD bless the students and faculty! GOD is good all the time!

8. Jane Saidu

April 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm

My daughter is a junior at Shaw University and I am really sorry about the destruction of the school caused by the recent tornado. I am requesting that all parents with children at the school get online and search for charitable organizations that will help rebuild the school. Our children need to go back to school in the fall semester.

9. BeckyA

April 20, 2011 at 9:45 am

Does anyone know if there is a recovery fund set up? I can’t give Oprah level money but I’m sure every little bit would add up. Shaw needs a million angels!

10. Admin

April 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

@BeckyA Information on the Shaw University Disaster Relief Fund can be found here: http://www.shawu.edu/News_and_Events.aspx?id=2720

11. Bill

April 20, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Hey Alex…have you taken a moment to revisit the blog? God bless Shaw U. You shall overcome!!

12. elmer

April 22, 2011 at 12:54 am

How much money has Mr. Willie E. Gary, Chairman of the Board of Trustees for Shaw University, contributed to the clean-up effort so far? In 1991– 20 years ago– he pledged to donate $10 million to the school. He hasn’t made good on that pledge yet. Shaw could certainly use that money now.

13. James Parker

June 28, 2011 at 2:51 am

I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns for Shaw University. My name is James Parker a current Junior at Shaw University in the Fall of 2011. I love my school to death wouldn’t leave it for the world. Shaw staff faculty and administration and staff have been the stepping stones to my world of success. No one understands Shaw University the life lesson we are taught the skills we are taught to compete in this competitive workforce. Shaw made my school HOME and my HOME school. I find my comfort at Shaw University and It’s staff. Please give all that you can, anything that you can to help us rebuild our school pennies, nickles, dimes anything would help. Thank you guys so much and may God bless you all.