Unemployed held hostage by GOP: Day 20

Tomorrow marks the three week mark in the ongoing crisis in which the Republican leaders in the House and Senate are holding 37,000 innocent North Carolina families hostage by denying them unemployment benefits they deserve until Governor Perdue agrees to their 2012 budget target.

One of their supposed reasons for not acting on a stand alone bill, of course, has been the claim that they haven’t had enough time to act.

Not that it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that this claim is transparently dishonest, but just in case you had any doubts, note the fact that today’s House and Senate calendars include: a bill to make NASCAR the “offical state sport,” and a resolution celebrating Cinco De Mayo.

1. Johnston County Rez

May 5, 2011 at 11:22 am

The Republican legislators are holding teachers, state employees, and many others hostage, as well as the 37000 whose benefits are exhausted. My benefits ran out, still no work, yet I am not counted among the 37000. Does this negate my needs?

2. johnathon

May 5, 2011 at 11:46 am

they don’t care about the people of nc so less lay them off

3. Mike

May 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm

IMPEACH!!!

4. [...] other thing: As NC Policy Watch notes, it’s been three weeks since GOP leaders threw 37,000 N.C. families under the bus by linking [...]

5. [...] bad enough that legislative Republicans have been holding 37,000 families hostage for three weeks by refusing to authorize the continuance of federally-funded unemployment benefits to which they [...]

6. Alida Hartley

May 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm

All we can do is pray. The Republican Party claims to be so Christian. Yea, right. It really looks that way huh! Remember this in 2012 people. I hope all the poor Republican can now see the light. Is this what Jesus would do. There are people losing everything and being thrown out in the streets while the Fat Cat Republican do nothing to help.

7. Barbara Nix

May 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Amen Alida! Beautifully said!!!

8. Tolisha

May 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

I am one of these 37,000. I have 3 kids. I was laid off from my manufacturing job in late 2009 and have been advertly trying to seek other employment. Those benefits were the ONLY means of income and support that I had. Me and babies are going to be thrown out in the street if something isn’t done soon. I can’t even afford gas to continue my job search at this point.