The company they keep

The folks on Right Wing Avenue will be having a little gathering this Saturday in Sanford. The event is billed as “A Citizen’s Constitutional Workshop.” It’s co-sponsored by the Locke Foundation, a Locke initiative known as the North Carolina History Project, the Lee County branch of Americans for Prosperity and a group called Moore Tea Citizens.

By all appearance, this is but the latest in a series of such events of this ilk — ultra-conservative Pope employees with degrees waxing poetic and nostalgic about the genius of propertied old white guys in wigs and knee breeches.

Still, it’s always fun to check out some of the co-sponsors of these shindigs to see just how long it takes to get to the seamy underbelly of the modern American right.

Check out, for instance, the website of the Moore Tea Citizens and some of the places it leads.

There’s this page entitled “1963 Communist Goals” in which the rant of Florida congressman from a half-century ago is reprinted as some sort of prescient prognostication.

This page in which the group promotes the rather pathetic idea of Glenn Beck building a clothing manufacturing business in Mt. Airy.

And then there’s this page entitled “I believe” in which visitors can listen to a sermon by a Baptist preacher about “The Heart of America” and learn about a conservative Christian group called the Black Robes Regiment. This group, in turn, happily redirects visitors to its website to a virtual who’s who of the extreme right – from the John Birch Society to Worldnet Daily to something called the Free State Project – a strange little initiative to recruit 20,000 “libertarians” to move to New Hampshire as part of an effort that the founders say was inspired by separatist movements elsewhere,

Of course, these people are entitled to their beliefs — however wacky they may be. It would be interesting, however, to hear what the Pope groups and their allies in politics have to say about them and their causes (and to find out which ones they endorse and which ones they’re willing to disavow).

1. Wrenn

September 7, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Anyone wackier than James Hoffa Jr ? What an idiot !

2. Rob Schofield

September 7, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Hoffa clearly has his issues, but I think these guys have him beat when it comes to out and out delusional paranoia and plain ol’, run-of-the-mill ignorance.

3. A Free Stater

September 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

“Oh they’re crazy/ignorant/stupid!”

Care to actually make a real argument? If so, posit a theory, then provide supporting evidence.

Otherwise you two are just monkeys hurling feces (ad hominems)…

4. Rob Schofield

September 8, 2011 at 10:48 am

Theory: Many of the things included on the Moore Tea Party website and the websites of the groups it endorses and links to are ridiculous.

Evidence: Talking about Communist conspiracies in 2011; promoting theocrats and other out and out nutlogs like Glenn Beck, Joseph Farah and the Birch Society.

Sorry if I offended by including your little libertarian separatist movement in with the theocrats. Seems wacky to me (and the references to the Quebec separatist movement have to raise a few eyebrows), but y’all do deserve credit for disavowing the haters and religious nuts.

5. A Free Stater

September 8, 2011 at 11:20 am

Ah, thats much better! I think we are capable of having rational discourse (so rare online).

I confess I haven’t even looked at the Moore Tea Party website (I’ll do so now).
    Ew. Boring ‘conservative’ (reactionary) website is boring.

While the original idea of the Free State Project may owe credit to earlier ‘separatist’ and ‘secessionist’ movements, its long evolved past what it was a decade ago. I consider this a very good thing, as that change has been born by the 1k+ active participants, making it the most ‘democratic’ and decentralized project in which I’ve ever taken part (I joined in 2007 and moved to NH in 2009).

Do you wish to debate the libertarian philosophy, or the efficacy of concentrating a minority?

=)

6. Rich Paul

September 8, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’m a Free Stater. Never heard of these southerners who linked to our site. You should follow the link. If you love Liberty, you might like our site better than theirs. http://freestateproject.org/

7. Mike Ruff

September 8, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I moved from NC (my folks live outside of Sanford) to NH in 2006 as a participant in the Free State Project. I love the folks in NC, and I liked the culture and the climate in NC. I really miss the BBQ (as we all know, Eastern NC BBQ is the best there is). But I have to say, it’s really nice in NH. The folks are friendly, the Free State folks are great, and I can live more free up here. The economy is better up here. There aren’t as many useless, obstructionist bureaucrats sticking their nose into every little thing. And the politics aren’t as driven by big-money corporate interests.

I hate the cold and snow–but it’s worth it to leave all the government interference behind.

8. tom ploszaj

September 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

The Free State Project http://freestateproject.org and Statement of Intent http://freestateproject.org/soi is of improving life of NH residents.

The FSP and all its members I know are just the opposite of what Mr. Schofield posted. The FSP members do not make jest of the studying the Constitution nor belittle property ownership, learned elders or make racial remarks as in his 1st and 2nd paragraph.

I invite all to investigate the FSP and what people in NH are doing to advance personal liberty, and to come visit us and our events, Liberty Forum http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum and PorcFest http://porcfest.com/ to see where you fit in better, in NH with people who respect each other, understand personal liberty, property ownership and small government.

Readers may open their eyes to what Mr. Schofield post may be really about. Referring to the FSP, and its SOI of were one may work towards greater personal freedom as part of the “ …the steamy underbelly … of American right … and… wacky…” while Mr. Schofield himself opposes Americans joining together (TeaParty), he supports communist ideology, and does not like private business moving to Mt. Airy.

Reading Mr Scofield’s comments which are not what the “The Progressive Pulse”and the “NC Policy Watch” claimed goals of “ultimate objective is to improve the quality of life in the state, in this case by promoting the development of an informed, energetic and progressive online community” are.
    You, who follow this forum know better than I about Mr. Schofield and the Progress Pulses actual agendas.

9. Josh

September 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

The Free State Project is about as wacky as giving woman the right to vote. The FSP is an amazing opportunity for those seeking liberty in their lives to come together and build a society based on liberty, peace and responsibility for ones actions. Do some research, its a beautiful thing!

10. K. Darien Freeheart

September 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

In 2007, I made my transition from moderate liberal (Kerry got my vote in 2004) to anarcho-capitalist, a form of small-l libertarian that’s a bit more… complete.

I do not support the Tea Party, I have no idea who most of these groups are that are linked her. I have no idea who Pope is. Glenn Beck is a douchebag… if douchebags are capable of containing that much hot air.

In 2009, I moved from the DC area to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project. In my move from liberal to anarchist, the main thing that changed for me wasn’t so much philosophy but methods. I still like fairness. I like progress. I like peace and prosperity. What changed was the realization that the people who act are the people who bring that about. Passing a bill won’t create prosperity. Legislating “equality” doesn’t actually preserve rights. It’s the people out there, on the ground who act on a daily basis to make those things tangible and ever-present in the minds of people.

The community of activists, compassionate people and DOERs is amazing here. And since many of us are anarchists (or on the way), it’s really hard to call the FSP a political organization. When the politics, which so many of us eschew forthright, somehow brand and pigeonhole the individual actions of people who moved for their own reasons are lumped into the collective of “bag guys”, I have to question the integrity and merit of any assumptions drawn from it.

In short, anyone can post a link to anywhere else on the internet. Investigate it before you grab a brush and paint in broad strokes. Also, thanks for the linkback to freestateproject.org. :)