Anti-gay lawmakers speak their (very troubled) minds

In case in anyone was thinking that this week’s cringe-inducing anti-gay press conference was just an undisciplined slip-up by the the House and Senate GOP, think again. As this story in the Gaston Gazette makes clear, the muzzles are off for good.

The following passages from the story refer to anti-gay marriage amendment sponsor, Senator James Forrester:

“Forrester, a physician, said the lifespan of homosexuals is decreased by at least 20 years due to the increased risk of developing AIDS and other sexually-transmitted diseases.

‘We need to reach out to them and get them to change their lifestyle back to the one we accept,’ he said.

“‘He then called the city of Asheville ‘a cesspool of sin’ and said if he was a homosexual, he’d ‘target’ North Carolina to practice homosexual ‘mischief’ because there is no constitutional law prohibiting it.”

Forrester was joined at the event by Sen. Kathy HarringtonRep. Kelly Hastings, Rep. John Torbett and Rep. Bill Current. It looks like next week should be a very scary and embarrassing week for North Carolina.

BTW, the Gazette story features two minutes of video – if anyone else has video of the event, let us know.

1. AdamL

September 9, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I hope Forrester will change his lifestyle back to one we can accept.

2. [...] more from the original source:  Anti-gay lawmakers speak their (very troubled) minds « The … AKPC_IDS += "21211,";Popularity: unranked [...]

3. James Tunstall

September 9, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Forrester is a total jackoff…but his hair looks faaaaabulous!

4. Frances Jenkins

September 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

I can not decide which group would win the award for being the most mean spirited, the folks wanting the gay rights amendment or those who are opposing it.

5. Steve

September 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm

If by “cesspool of sin” he meant “open-minded community that believes in equality”, well, then yes, that is Asheville in a nutshell.

His mind is a cesspool of idiocy…

6. Anon

September 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I know this is completely unfair, but whenever I see square old white guys who voice inexplicably dire warnings about the “dangers” of homosexuality, I just can’t help thinking of Mark Foley, Ted Haggard and Larry Craig – equal parts maddening in their hypocrisy and sad in their pathetic, closeted self-loathing.

I want to give Sen. Forrester the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly don’t which is worse; that he is a closeted homosexual lashing out at people he envies for living (and being accepted) for who they are, or that he comes by ignorance and bigotry honestly.

7. Todd

September 14, 2011 at 4:06 pm

In the future, video footage of these men spouting their homophobic rhetoric will appear as bizarre and backward as the footage of 1960s segregationists look to us today.

@Frances Jenkins – What/who has been mean-spirited among the opposition to this amendment? I’ve encountered only nice, ordinary people who want the same rights as everyone else; Greensboro’s candlelight vigil, sponsored by Equality NC, was entirely peaceful, and the speakers (many of whom were ministers or rabbis) were thoughtful.

8. Mark

September 17, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I am a gay man living in his district. He is a do nothing heap of crap as a senator. He has done nothing for our district. I can only hope that someday I will have someone I can believe in in Raleigh before I move from this horrible state. I’ll let the bigots have it. The state that my family has lived in since 1670. He has built a fine new home while most people living in his district lives in poverty. And all he can go on about is how GLBT people are living in sin. I think the real sin is on him. God have mercy on his soul!