- The Progressive Pulse - http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org -
Early Childhood Expert Explains Why Pre-K Makes for Smart Economic Development
Posted By Ed McLenaghan On September 20, 2011 @ 12:46 pm In Uncategorized | Comments Disabled
Respected economist and early-childhood expert Timothy Bartik has a great post  on why investing in high-quality early childhood programs is a smart, effective strategy to improve local economies and create jobs.
The whole post is short and well worth reading, but here are his top five reasons for local business leaders and policymakers to support investments in early childhood programs:
- Human capital is the key local competitive factor for businesses that is not readily portable.
- Human capital matters not just to my individual business, but to building regional clusters of businesses.
- Early childhood education is one of the most cost-effective methods of developing better local worker skills.
- Early childhood education is particularly good at increasing soft skills, which are of great importance to businesses.
- A large percentage of early childhood education participants will stay in the same local economy as working adults.
Article printed from The Progressive Pulse: http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org
URL to article: http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2011/09/20/early-childhood-expert-explains-why-pre-k-makes-for-smart-economic-development/
URLs in this post:
 great post: http://investinginkids.net/2011/09/16/top-5-reasons-why-investing-in-early-childhood-education-can-drive-better-local-job-creation/
Copyright © 2014 The Progressive Pulse. All rights reserved.