Lighten up, Francis (and Pat)

Governor Bev Perdue has never been the world’s greatest at ad lib speechifying. Eight dreary years in the dreadful and anonymous job of Lt. Governor probably didn’t help, but whatever the reason, all can safely agree that the Guv just can’t help herself sometimes when it comes to giving voice to a wacky thought or two.

In some ways, it’s almost endearing. For better or worse, one rarely has the sense of listening to a pre-programmed, automaton politician when Perdue speaks. Some of the things she says may be silly or cringe-inducing, but you have to admit Perdue is herself. She doesn’t pretend to be something she isn’t.  No one ever has to call up her key staffers and beg that they “let Perdue be Perdue.”

All of which brings us to this  ridiculous flap that has developed in the last 24 hours with respect to a very Perdue-ish remark the Guv made yesterday. According to a story on WRAL.com, Perdue said the following at a Rotary luncheon:

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said.

“The one good thing about Raleigh is that for so many years we worked across party lines,” she continued. “You want people who don’t worry about the next election.”  

Perdue was obviously not serious. She was trying, rather inartfully, to make a point that was a good one about the poisonous tenor of politics in Washington. 

But, of course, it didn’t take long for gubernatorial candidate-for-life Pat McCrory and his de facto campaign staff at the Pope Civitas Institute to claim that the Governor was practically threatening to declare martial law.

Francis X. De Luca, head of the Civitas group (who, for some reason, has to remind us in every letter that he’s a retired Colonel from the Marine Corps Reserve) sent out a fundraising email last night claiming that Perdue was talking about “dictatorship.” McCrory claimed Perdue was “ignoring the Constitution.”     

Lighten up boys.

The Governor was doing no such thing and you both know it. She was attempting to make a point about the paralysis that has afflicted government in recent months. It was clumsy, yes, but no more clumsy than when conservtive demigod Ronald Reagan “joked” about a nuclear attack on the Soviet Union prior to a national radio address.

In other words, Pat, if you ever want to get anywhere with this perpetual campaign, you might want to try taking the high road every now and then.  Act like a grown up, Pat,  and stop spending all of your days with low rung attack groups. Act like the quasi-centrist mayor you supposedly were instead of trying to be a political attack dog on the leash of the Pope empire.    

There will plenty of time for very spirited debate in the next 13 months. For now, do everyone (including yourself) a favor and show a little class.



  1. Real Talk

    September 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

    Ya lighten up! it was just a joke! Later on she joked about how irrelevant the U.S. Constitution is!!! Pphff…. LMAO!! Whoa! Progressives tell the FUNNIEST jokes! :D
    Kind of like that time when the President was at La Raza and joked how it would be easier if he could just override Congress and make the laws himself (to the cheers of the crowd)?? Crazy funny!
    And it was so funny when Fareed Zakaria proposed redrafting a new Constitution through Facebook and Twitter, like Iceland, because their Constitution was SO OLD it was from the 1940’s! LMAO!!! The funny little Viking people, why did they go 60 WHOLE YEARS with an old dusty piece of paper!! LMAO!!
    It’s so funny how our media and our politicians joke about how messy and inefficient our system is! Because that’s how those stupid old racist white guys designed the government, because for some reason they viewed government as a necessary evil, and they viewed authoritarianism as oppression and they viewed democracy as tyranny of the masses so they designed a form of popular government, divided and limited, called a republic!! LMAO!!! What a bunch of idiots!!! And than the American people voted in Democrats in 2008, and Republicans in 2010, and we have a divided government, WOW this system is just so stupid!!!! whew… so hilarious…. because dictatorships are so much more efficient and get things done so much faster, think of all the jobs and free healthcare we could have!!!

  2. DRH

    September 28, 2011 at 12:44 pm

    The audio has been released and it’s fairly obvious, listening to it, that she’s either not joking (99% chance), or now holds the record for worst deliverly of a joke in *all* of human history (1% chance).

    Click for audio.

  3. Francis De Luca

    September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm


    Is your problem with all US service members proud of their service, or just with Marines?


  4. Rob Schofield

    September 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm

    Not at all, Francis. I am the proud son of an Army vet and have lots of friends and family who are either vets or on active duty.

    I’m genuinely interested in what the deal is — none of them ever sign their corespondence by mentioning their military service (unless, perhaps, it’s related to a military matter).

    I’m happy to be enlightened as to why you always do — especially since it bears no evident relation to anything you’re doing for Civitas.

Check Also

Latest polling in NC shows close three-way race in Dem presidential primary

Pollster: “Trump’s done” if Democrats unify behind a ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

As temperatures fell last week, a few inches of snowfall led to school closures and hot chocolate in [...]

WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell doesn’t allow many bills to get floor votes thes [...]

Superintendent lauds program designed to help students become "lifelong voters" School fie [...]

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Where does a trail end and the land beneath it begin? That’s just one of the thor [...]

The North Carolina General Assembly’s Republican majority is down to what looks to be its last-ditch [...]

Tim Moore is looking for a “gold parachute.” That’s the news that Policy Watch reporter Joe Killian [...]

The post A pirate’s plunder appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

After a few months of unemployment I was going stir-crazy so I got a job as a cashier at a local gro [...]