New report exposes “crisis pregnancy centers”
As Chris notes today in Monday numbers and Raleigh’s News & Observer reported yesterday, the good folks at the NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina Foundation have a new report out entitled The Truth Revealed: North Carolina’s Crisis Pregnancy Centers.
This is from a release that accompanied the report:
* The investigation, conducted by a team of NPCNCF staff and volunteers from October 2010 to July 2011, included 27 in-person visits, 47 website analyses, and 40 phone calls to 66 of the state’s CPCs. Key findings in the 36-page report include that:
* More than two-thirds of all North Carolina CPCs (44 CPCs) provided medically inaccurate information. Of these, 32 will receive funding through the “Choose Life” license plate program.
* Investigators were told medical inaccuracies including, “The AIDS virus is smaller than the holes in condoms,” and “30 percent of women attempt suicide after an abortion.”
* In total, 61 out of 66 facilities did not report any medically trained or medically supervised personnel on staff.
* Even in the rare cases of centers that are overseen by medical professionals, there are no regulations in place to ensure that confidentiality is protected and that women will receive medically accurate information and services that meet an appropriate standard of care with respect to all reproductive health options.
“No matter how a person feels about the question of legal abortion, everyone can agree that women should never be misled when seeking information about pregnancy, birth control, abortion, or sexually transmitted infections. Yet it is happening across the state,” said Carey Pope, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice North Carolina.
You can and ought to read the entire sobering report by clicking here.