New “On the chopping block” feature shows the toll taken by budget cuts

Here’s a new website you ought to bookmark: It’s called “On the chopping block” and it was developed by the folks at Together NC.

It features some extremely cool — if extremely sobering — graphics detailing the destructive impact of the 2011-12 state budget adopted by the General Assembly this past June. By moving your cursor around a map of North Carolina, you can see just how many people are losing their jobs and what kind of essential public services and structures are being destroyed.

Warning: Visiting the site can be a bit of grim exercise. It’s also likely to produce some level of perverse pleasure over in the flat earth camp. But at this point, there’s no better place to to see just how royally the right-wingers running the legislature have screwed up state in just 10 months. Caring and thinking people owe it to themselves to check it out.

Click here to visit the site.

1. Eunice

November 16, 2011 at 9:06 am

Am I forgetting something , or did we not have a large budget deficit that required cutting expenses ? We also absorbed a 2.5 cent per gallon additional gasoline tax which puts us among the highest in the nation. Do we not have the highest state income tax in the Southeast ?

2. Rob Schofield

November 16, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yes. You’re actually forgetting a lot…as usual.

3. Eunice

November 16, 2011 at 10:02 am

Snippety comments don’t deter me from presenting the facts. Maybe, other folks should follow that same practice.

4. Rob Schofield

November 16, 2011 at 10:05 am

Unfortunately, something is deterring you from reading and absorbing the facts.

5. James

November 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

How about the fact that a trivial tax increase on millionaires and billionaires would have solved the budjet problem in a single stroke?

And before you get uppity, let me say that I am a millionaire and I know what I’m talking about. A quarter percent increase in my tax rate would have ZERO impact on my spending or quality of life. But to protect me from the masses, the Republican General Assembly has sacrificed the environment, teachers’ aids, class sizes, after school care, early childhood programs and more.

I, for one, came to North Carolina because it was NOT like the other crappy states in the south. It seems the Tarheel Taliban would love to see us ranked behind Mississippi and Alabama as last in education and first in child poverty.

6. James

November 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

I meant “budget” of course.

7. Eunice

November 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

James, I think California has done exactly the things you describe with the high tax rates. Where are they economically now–a big mess!

8. Jimmy

November 16, 2011 at 10:35 am

Yeah James, why don’t you move out to California if you enjoy paying high tax rates so much ? There are lots of good and worthy things you could do with your money besides giving it to the government.

9. Jack

November 16, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Jimmy, you make sense, to four year olds. Is it really necessary to itemize all the things that our tax dollars do for us? I’ll give you one: clean drinking water in our homes.

Let’s not forget who created the economic down-turn here and around the world. It certainly wasn’t taxes but rather the greed of Wall Street that spread the seeds of economic failure around the world. The story has been framed to blame “the people” for wanting a piece of the American Dream. While the executives walk away with millions in bonuses “the people” are left in doubt. How do you feel about your tax dollars going for corporate bail-outs and bigger homes and the third car in the garage of the executives? From what you’ve said you should be out-raged. Where is your out-rage.