Senator Davis: Anti-gay marriage amendment “beyond my comfort zone”

Freshman state Sen. Jim Davis is the latest conservative lawmaker to express an uneasiness about the anti-gay marriage amendment that will be on North Carolina’s ballot next May.

The Macon County Republican told constituents at a November town hall meeting that while he voted with his party in passing the ballot initiative, restricting the freedom of others was “a little more beyond my comfort zone.”

As reported by The Macon County News and QNotes, Davis made it clear to his audience that he considers “a heterosexual marriage” to be the bedrock of society, but he felt uneasy about the over-reaching amendment.

Here are Senator Davis remarks:

“I have a lot of libertarian in me,” he said. “I believe firmly, passionately that a marriage should be defined as being between one man and one woman. But I also believe with all my heart that in a free America people who choose to live a different lifestyle should have a legal right to do so. Just don’t call it marriage,” said Davis.

“The marriage amendment is so important because these gay and lesbian, transgender people want moral equivalence to a heterosexual marriage, and it never can be in my opinion. A heterosexual marriage is the bedrock of our society. I feel passionately about that, but I don’t think we need to restrict the rights of people who do not choose to live our lifestyles,” said Davis.

Last month when House Speaker Thom Tillis visited Appalachian State University he acknowledged that he too has “a personal difficulty with [that] constitutional amendment because I don’t believe government should be telling us what to do…”.

1. HunterC

December 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

This defines political homophobia:

When you’re more afraid non-existent gay threats, than staying true to your supposed liberartian core.

Why didn’t Senator Davis try to rework the language in the Senate so that the amendment pertains only to marriage and not all the other benefits he says he supports?

Actions speak louder than words, Senator Davis. And you offered no amendments on the Senate floor and voted for the overly broad language.

2. david esmay

December 2, 2011 at 12:56 pm

With the NC GOTP words mean nothing, they say whatever they have to in order to present a somewhat palatable front for their constituients, whatch what they do.

3. JeffS

December 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

“The marriage amendment is so important because these gay and lesbian, transgender people want moral equivalence to a heterosexual marriage,”

See, that’s the problem right there. Marriage, as far as the state legislature should be concerned is a LEGAL issue. No one is looking for the government’s moral stamp of approval.

The christians are out to defend the “sanctity” of marriage, but with their poor grasp of history they seemingly cannot comprehend that marriage has always been about property rights.

4. Jack

December 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Heterosexual marriage is the bedrock of our society!? I think Al Bundy would disagree.

The bedrock of our society is “The Illusion” that everyone lives, believes and does everything the same way. Look around and you can see it everywhere. (Between Raleigh and L.A. all the stores and fast-food stops look the same.) When the illusion is revealed and the spell is broken, because the curtain is pulled back, all hell breaks loose. Once the illusion is broken the politicians and religious leaders have to make sense and therefore can be held accountable for squelching the richness of life. We are not all the same because we are intelligently designed to be unique. Yet John and Jane Dow are continually pressed into the mold of sameness to keep the genie in the bottle. (I knolw, mixed enough metaphors.)

Members of the NCGA are frightened that the richness of life is going to come into its own and that an old ages conflict and its supporting myths will be resolved. Perhaps due to their continued push of the marriage amendment the richness of life will reveal itself at the polls and put an end, at least for a while, to this fear based behavior of our state politicians.

5. Mary Waterton

December 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Sounds to me like Senator Jim Davis doesn’t want to be re-elected. If he doesn’t want to get 100% behind the Marriage Amendment, then we can find someone to replace him in the next primary.

6. Jack

December 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Another fearful, narrow minded Republican control freak heard from.