Anti-health reform group with White Supremacist name is coming to a state near you!

I take them at their word when far right commentators say that ideology, and not race, is why they oppose the policies of President Obama. It makes you a bit skeptical when folks claim that health reform ideas originating from the Reagan and Nixon White Houses are suddenly Socialist plots to destroy America. And one would have to be painfully ignorant of our nation’s fractious racial history to not understand why carrying a sign portraying Obama as a clown is problematic.

It all just makes one wonder. Then there is this.

A Minnesota based organization is coming into states around the country to fight the implementation of health reform. The nonprofit’s name is the Citizens’ Council for Health Freedom. Citizens’ Councils, of course, spread quickly in the 1950s in a desperate attempt to fight against racial integration.

This modern version namesake of the white supremacist group is battling the creation of health benefit exchanges in the states. But, again, I’m sure the names are just a coincidence. None of this has anything to do with race.

1. Frances Jenkins

February 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Are you sure this is correct information or just your negative thinking?

2. AdamL

February 14, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Um, it’s correct that this group’s name is Citizens’ Council and that Citizens’ Councils were founded in the 1950s to fight integration. I’m not sure what else there is to say.

3. Disinterested observer

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Even by NC Policy Watch standards, this is horrendous reasoning. An Minnesotan organization opposing full implementation of PPACA healthcare exchanges until the constitutionality and political future of the law is sorted out is not equivalent to white supremacist scumbags that resided in the mid-century segregationist South. I can’t believe I even had to type that.

4. AdamL

February 14, 2012 at 8:24 pm

You didn’t have to type it. I didn’t say they are the same. I said they have the same name. I can’t believe I had to type that.

5. Disinterested observer

February 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

You called the healthcare policy organization “This modern version of the white supremacist group”.And just to be clear that you view anybody who opposes any aspect of President Obama’s agenda as basically Bull Connor attacking civil rights protesters with police dogs, you snarked, “But, again, I’m sure the names are just a coincidence. None of this has anything to do with race”.

So I challenge you: Come up with a single racially motivated policy position this organization promotes,

6. AdamL

February 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm

You’re kind of missing the point. Either this group is harkening back to the states’ rights argument of the original Citizens’ Council or they are painfully ignorant of what the name evokes.

Many Citizens’ Council members in the 1950s, by the way, claimed that there was no racial motivation for their resistance to Brown.

Oppose Obama all you want. Just don’t name your organization the Anti Health Reform Klan unless you want people to ask some questions.

7. Disinterested observer

February 14, 2012 at 9:04 pm

So you are just “asking questions” now? You offer no defense of your assertion that the organization is a “modern version of the white supremacist group”-except the idea that they might have super secret racist motivations, because segregationists also claimed not to be motivated by race. (As if opposition to Brown and opposition to the PPACA are even roughly equivalent)

You aren’t claiming they had an ill-advised name choice, you are directly accusing them of being a political descendant of anti-integration groups. You should either offer proof or withdraw the claim.

8. Adam Linker

February 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm

OK, then I’ll write “namesake” if that makes you feel better.

9. David

February 16, 2012 at 3:49 am

I don’t believe they are racist. Clueless, yes. Racist, probably not.

You only have to visit their website and read a few “special reports” to see that this group is a few eggs short of a full basket. The report on evidence-based medicine was especially delicious.