Uncategorized

2,000 more Pre-K slots this year

Gov. Bev Perdue has identified $9.3 million that will allow 2,000 additional at-risk 4-year-olds to attend NC Pre-K this year.

Wednesday’s announcement comes seven months after Superior Court Judge Howard Manning directed the state to provide quality pre-kindergarten services to any eligible four year old that applies.

The Republican-leadership of the General Assembly had earlier rejected the Governor’s plan to spend more on Pre-K, saying the state could not afford the extra spending.

The additional funding for the 2,000 new slots will reportedly come from child care subsidy funds on a one-time basis.

Here’s more from the statement released by the governor’s press office this morning:

“NC Pre-K is a nationally recognized, academic program that helps prepare children to succeed in kindergarten, throughout school and in life,” Gov. Perdue said. “This additional investment in our children will pay big dividends for all North Carolina because these children will be less likely to fall behind and drop out later in life.”

“All children in North Carolina, regardless of where they live, deserve a chance at a successful future and we know that NC Pre-K changes lives,” Gov. Perdue said. “We have one shot to give these children the benefit of Pre-K. They can’t wait, and we can’t either.”

You can read the full release here.

One Comment

  1. Alex

    February 23, 2012 at 6:39 am

    Interesting that Rahm Emmanuel is now bucking the teacher’s union in Chicago, getting rid of bad teachers, closing non-performing schools, and developing more charter schools. I can’t believe a Democrat is finally seeing the light on the poor-performance of public schools. Maybe there’s hope after all.