New petition keeps up the pressure on Limbaugh

It appears that at least eight corporate sponsors have now dropped the Big Gas Bag. Hooray for them — though one might ask the question: what in the heck took you so long?

Now there’s a movement afoot in North Carolina to extend the effort. As noted on Blue NC this morning, signatures are being gathered by activists to get UNC Tar Heels athletic program to drop its affiliation with Limbaugh stations. Here in the Triangle, for instance, UNC football and basketball games are broadcast on 106.1 FM “Rush Radio.”

You can sign the petition to support this latest “dump Rush” effort by clicking here.

1. Rob Schofield

March 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

The number of sponsors to drop Limbaugh is now up to nine.

2. Sheryl

March 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I am going to not use the companies who advertize with Limbaugh. We were going to buy a new washer but it won’t be from Sear’s. I also use Proflowers several times a year. They’re history unless they stay away from him. The same with Lifelock. We’re dropping it.

3. Jack

March 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Rush has been the squeaky wheel for the Right-Wing for so long I wander if anyone on the Right event noticed that he said something offensive to so many women by directing at one woman.

If the Republicans don’t make an appropriate response to Limbaugh’s comments then it a good indication that the party is steeped in institutional misogyny.

4. Michael Romanos

March 5, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Rush should have to leave the “air ways”. This is not the 1959 and wowen should have the right to choose about birth control,

5. Michael Romanos

March 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Rush Linbaugh should have his broudcast liscense revoked. This is not 1912 and women should have the right to choose birth control or not.

6. barry

March 6, 2012 at 8:32 am

Rush’s comments about Sandra Fluke go well beyond the first ammendment. It seems to me they are in the category of slander and libel. It also seems to me that since his comments were made in a public forum with no data to back them up that a law suit against not only Rush Linbaugh, but also the station for slander and libel is in order. It is time for Rush’s sensationism by making outlandish remarks, that that the ditto heads all echo since they don’t know how to form a logical opinion of their own without being led like sheep, be relegated to the shelf for antiques. I am glad to see sponsors pulling their sponsorships from Rush’s show. Hopefully a petition will finally bring an end to Rush’s devisive, poisonous and vitriolic attacks on others. The attacks are not constructive criticisms, but baseless sensationist garbage delivered, unfortunately, on a public forum for the mere purpose of making money for Rusha dn his station and sponsors. Hopefully the end is in site.

7. Kerry Lynn

March 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Michael & Readers,
    You are quite right when you say that women should have the right to chose to use birth control or not to use it.
    The difference between this statement and this student is that she was going to testify that you and I should HAVE TO PAY for her to be promiscuous.
    In that she does not have the right to chose that I or you would HAVE TO PAY for her to have birth control.
    She does have the right to INSIST that any and all of her men interrupt ‘the moment’ to slip on the contraception. At their cost if she does not have the means to buy a pill.
    Michael and the rest of you please listen.
    1. I am a woman
    2. I am a former victim (over comer) of sexual abuse
    So I am not some quirky male chauvinist, I am speaking truth. Everyone is demanding people to be nice.
    In Latin ‘nice’ is nescius meaning ignorant or stupid.
    It is time for Americans to stop acting ignorant or stupid and to stand up for what is right.
    If I act ignorant and ignore that this woman wanted to stand before congress and demand that you and I pay for other peoples brothels then I would not speak up.
    If I were stupid and thought that it did not matter that she was going to stand before congress and demand that you and I pay for other peoples brothels then I would not speak up.
    It is only because I am not being ‘nice’ (STUPID OR IGNORANT) that I will speak up. I will demand what is just, right and fair. It is only fair I keep my $$ in my pants and if she chooses to not keep things in pants than she needs to pay instead of demanding me to pay.
    It is also not o.k. for yellow belly companies to pull advertisements from Rush after they have made so much money on him. *Why do you think they advertised with him in the first place? He was their gold.
    Rush will survive and Rush should refuse to take those sponsor’s back.
    While people may not like what he said and you may not like what he said, you explain to me what you would call people who are demanding that Americans pay for them to sleep with people. If she or anyone else wants to sleep with people that is their choice but to demand that you and I pay so that they can be promiscuous ‘without consequence’ is going too far.
    It was not that long ago that such a testimony would be considered heinous by the American public. Have we really let the plumb line go this far from what is right that when someone is called on the carpet that we do not know what is right and what is wrong?
    What she was doing was what was wrong. Rush was pointing it out.
    Could he have been more diplomatic in what he said? Why should he be. Why should he act ‘nice’ (STUPID AND IGNORANT)
    I will tell you this. You may have changed the pendulum but God has not. America needs to be on her knees in repentance for her many sins and her idolatries! Judgement is coming. He is merciful if you will repent He is waiting for you. Stop saying good is evil and evil is good.
    She was in the wrong!

8. Kerry Lynn

March 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

FYI for many Americans it is different. They will only use the companies that stay with him instead of those how acted hypocritically. After making their fortune off of his popularity run with their finger to the wind.
    Those are the companies you should not use. You think they have enough integrity and back bone to think about you the consumer. There is NO integrity in people like those companies.
    No matter if you think Rush was right or wrong you would have enough sense to see that these companies are not backing out because of moral right and wrong. They are backing out because they have no integrity.

9. Ricky Leung

March 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

Kerry, have you read her statement? She was testifying on behalf of women’s health, stating that insurance companies need to cover contraceptives for women for matters of health. It’s not a matter of choosing to use birth control. It’s a matter of having affordable access to healthcare for women.

10. Jack

March 8, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Kerry, considering the subject you’re addressing I have one word in response to your posting. Phrasing!