Hidden story in Alabama and Mississippi poll results

Our good friends at the nationally acclaimed polling firm, Public Policy Polling generated a lot of national headlines today when they reported that a huge chunk of Republican voters in Mississippi and Alabama (Surprise!!)  have some pretty distorted views of reality.

“In Mississippi only 12% of voters think Obama’s a Christian to 52% who think he’s a Muslim and 36% who are not sure. In Alabama just 14% think Obama’s a Christian to 45% who think he’s a Muslim and 41% who aren’t sure.”

Of course, if you think about it, this all makes a lot of sense. After all, the President’s name obviously sounds downright Mooslim, er ah, Muslim, right? In the words of George Cleveland, “I mean come on. Give me a break!”

Not surprisingly, however, it appears that Deep South voters continue to be thrown off by the names of other major candidates as well. According to a recent, less-well-reported poll result, more than two-thirds of Alabama and Mississippi Republicans also think that:

• Newt Gingrich is a rare South American salamander.
  • Rick Santorum is the name of the Albanian parliament.
  • Ron Paul is a famous guitar inventor.
  • Mitt Romney is the back-up catcher for the Atlanta Braves.

1. Frank Burns

March 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm

It’s not proper that we speculate on a candidate’s religious preferences. What we do know is there has been an investigation into Obama’s birth certificate and selective service cards and the evidence shows them to be fraudulent.

2. Rob Schofield

March 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm

In another less-well reported result, 94% grumpy conservative men were discovered to have disavowed the concept of humor sometime around 1977.

3. Frank Burns

March 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I’ve been told that conservative men are not gumpy but are very kind hearted and would give you the shirt off his back if you asked for it and have a great sense of humor. Having put up with 4 years of the Obama Administration sharpens your humor, without we would have gone mad.

4. Doug

March 12, 2012 at 5:07 pm

The question I’ve always had would you consider Jeremiah Wright a Christian ? Personally, I wouldn’t classify him as a Christian, or anyone else who would listen to him !

5. Frances Jenkins

March 12, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Rush, David and Rob same blood line, same meaness, and they talk about the right, give me a break.

6. Rob Schofield

March 12, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Goodness people. Lighten up a bit or I’ll start writing actual mean pieces instead of lame attempts at humor.

7. ABUTOM THE AMERICAN FUN DA MENTALIST

March 13, 2012 at 11:19 am

THIS IS AMERICAS LAST DAYS OF FREEDOM. WE ARE AT THE CROSSROADS OF LIBERTY.
    THE ELECTION IS NOT DEMOCRAT VS REPUBLICAN. IT IS GOOD VS EVIL AND EVIL IS WINNING. THE FIRST COIN HAS JUST BEEN MINTED WITHOUT IN GOD WE TRUST.
    OBAMA HAS DECLARED WAR ON THE ENTIRE SOUTH. HIS WEAPONS ARE NO JOBS AND HIGH GAS PRICES.

8. ABUTOM THE AMERICAN FUN DA MENTALIST

March 13, 2012 at 11:30 am

SANTORUM IS OUR BEST BET AND SARAH PALIN WOULD MAKE A GOOD VP ON THAT TICKET. SO WOULD MARC RUBIO. I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO WATCH NEWT MOP THE FLOOR WITH OBAMA. BUT NEWTS CHANCES ARE TOO SLIM. I EVEN OPENED A WEB SITE FOR NEWT IN VA. WHEN ROMNEY HAD A LANDSLIDE FOR HIMSELF. I DON’T TRUST ANYBODY FROM MASSACHUSSETTS. THEY EVEN SCREWED THEIR OWN FISHING INDUSTRY AND CONGREASE MOUSE MARKEY VOTED NO WATER FOR CALIFORNIA FARMERS. THE KENNEDYS ARE IN BED WITH HUGO CHAVEZ. ROMNEY IS TAINTED. THE LAST THING WE NEED IN DC IS ONE MORE LAWYER AND ONE MORE MILLIONAIRE. WE ARE OVERUN IN THAT CATEGORY. I PRAY THAT SANTORUM GETSV THE NOD. THAT KEEPS EVERYBODY HONEST. EVEN FOX STIFFED SANTORUM AND WENT FOR THE MONEY. TRUMP ALWAYS GOES FOR THE MONEY. WHAT CAN SANTORUM DO FOR HIM? THE FATE OF THE NATION IS IN THE HANDS OF ALABAM AND OL MISS. DON’T BUY I LIKE GRITS ROMNEY Y’ALL.

9. Ricky Leung

March 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

OMG WHY ARE YOU YELLING SO HARD?

LAY OFF THE SHIFT KEY. I KNOW YOUR CAPSLOCK IS NOT ON BECAUSE YOU TYPED http INSTEAD OF HTTP.