Uncategorized

Budget experts debunk AFP/Civitas distortions

In a document entitled “Real solutions require real facts,” the experts at the N.C. Budget and Tax Center shined more light today on the numerous distortions found in the new half-million dollar ad campaign financed by the Pope-Civtas Institute and Americans for Prosperity.

It’s definitely one of today’s “must reads.” Click here for more information.

2 Comments


  1. Nonanon

    March 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm

    From the article, “Doing so will require policymakers to raise revenue in a way that moves North Carolina forward towards an adequate and equitable tax system that supports economic opportunity and prosperity for all.”

    Didn’t Dems squander an opportunity to change the antiquated tax system during an election year?

    Why is it so important now? You had the opportunity, but apparently, it isn’t quite as important as you make it out to be.

    The real problem, in addition to everyone paying their share, is a spending problem. We cut 10 percent of the budget last year, and will have to do so again after January 2013 when long term unemployment benefits run out, Bush tax cuts expire, and automatic spending cuts are triggered from the Super Committee’s failure to agree on spending cuts. Do you think NC will get more or less federal dollars in the coming years? Heck, it’s borrowed money anyway. I don’t want to be anywhere near it when that credit bubble collapses.

    So, if we cut 10% and real services to real citizens are cut, where is the other 90% being spent. I already know, if you don’t, it’s on a lot of high paying high level positions within the Executive Branch.

    Put that in your Progressive Pulse peace pipe, and smoke it.

  2. jlp75

    March 20, 2012 at 2:34 pm

    Wow another misinformed conservative which comes as no surprise to me. Last I checked Policy Watch is not in the legislature so it would have been hard for them to make these changes. If you were a long time reader and not just some drive-by conservative blow hard you would know that they have been calling for tax reform for quite some time including when the Democrats were in control of the General Assembly. I know that facts rarely make it in to the conservative fantasy land you guys live.

Check Also

Burr and Tillis stick to their irresponsible, NRA-funded lines in aftermath of Florida high school massacre

Raleigh’s News & Observer reports this morning that ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

On a sultry day last September, Megan Stilley arrived at Lanier Farms, a large swine operation in ru [...]

When North Carolina lawmakers approved what one Republican described as a “historic” investment in r [...]

Lawmakers late last week released two new versions of a judicial redistricting bill, making these th [...]

An omnibus bill alleviating some of the headaches associated with North Carolina’s class size crisis [...]

The General Assembly’s latest mashup legislation is an example of government at its worst In the com [...]

The post Tied up in knots appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

Every day brings new reports that Congress is interested in further whittling away at the programs c [...]

When Congress finally passed a continuing resolution last month allowing the government to re-open, [...]

Upcoming Events

Friday, Feb. 16

12:00 PM

Crucial Conversation – Prof. Peter Edelman discusses his new book, Not a Crime to be Poor: The Criminalization of Poverty in America

Prof. Edelman is coming to the Triangle to mark the 50th anniversary of Durham-based nonprofit MDC. His visit is the first of a series of MDC-sponsored events focused on ways that Southern leaders can work together to create an Infrastructure of Opportunity that shapes a South where all people thrive.”