School superintendents to talk about cuts today
This afternoon, the N.C. State Board of Education will break with their normal routine and hear directly from public school superintendents about what the drop in funding from last year’s budgets had.
Whether the cuts meant doing without the 915 teachers who were laid off, custodians, teacher’s aides, new books and field trips, superintendents will be able to talk about what the scenarios were in actual classrooms.
More teacher lay-offs are expected this upcoming year, unless the state comes up with a way to replace the expiring federal EduJobs money that was given to North Carolina to help weather the economic recession.
This is the first time the superintendents have had a chance to talk about the real-world effects of last year’s budget to decision makers in Raleigh. A promised invitation by N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis last year to have the school leaders talk at a legislative oversight committee never materialized.
Also speaking at today’s forum will be Gov. Bev Perdue, the state’s outgoing Democratic governor who had said she’ll make use of her final months in office by pushing to restore education funding levels. Perdue wants to see a 3/4 of cent sales tax restored, but the leaders of the Republican-led legislature have been emphatically opposed to the idea.
N.C. Policy Watch reporter Sarah Ovaska will be there too, and you can follow her live tweets about the superintendent’s comments at @SarahOvaska.
Here’s the schedule as speakers, provided by the N.C. Department of Public Instruction:
12:30 PM Call to Order, Dr. William C. Harrison, Chairman of the North Carolina State Board of Education.
Welcome and Opening Remarks, Dr. Harrison
Updates from North Carolina Public School Superintendents
12:40 PM Northeast Region Education,
- Superintendent Don Phipps, Beaufort County Schools
- Superintendent John Farrelly, Washington County Schools
- Students Shamari Spencer and Landon Manning of Columbia High School, Tyrrell County Schools
- Superintendent Dwayne Stallings, Perquimans County Schools
- The Honorable J. Carlton “J.C.” Cole, Superior Court Judge, First Judicial District
1:10 PM Southeast Education Alliance
- Superintendent Kathy Spencer, Onslow County Schools
- Superintendent Michael Bracey, Jones County Schools
- Superintendent Dan Novey, Carteret County Schools
- Superintendent Ethan Lenker, Sampson County Schools
1:40 PM Northwest Region Education
- Superintendent Randy Bledsoe, Elkin City Schools
- Superintendent Jeff Cox, Alleghany County Schools
- Superintendent Steve Stone, Caldwell County Schools
2:10 PM Break
2:20 PM Western Region Education
- Superintendent Dan Brigman, Macon County Schools
- Superintendent Ronald Wilcox, Madison County Schools
- Superintendent Ira Trollinger, McDowell County Schools
- Superintendent Scott Penland, Clay County Schools
2:50 PM Southwest Education Alliance
- Executive Director Ric Vandett, Southwest Education Alliance
- Superintendent Mark Edwards, Mooresville Graded Schools
- Superintendent Reeves McGlohon, Gaston County Schools
3:20 PM Break
3:30 PM Sandhills Region Education Consortium
- Superintendent Jeff Moss, Lee County Schools
- Superintendent Rick Stout, Scotland County Schools
- Superintendent Dale Ellis, Montgomery County School
4:00 PM Piedmont Triad Education Consortium
- Superintendent Lillie Cox, Alamance-Burlington Schools
- Superintendent Rodney Shotwell, Rockingham County Schools
- Superintendent Don Martin, Forsyth County Schools
4:30 PM Central Carolina Regional Education
- Superintendent Patrick Rhodes, Orange County Schools
- Superintendent Ray Spain, Warren County Schools
- Superintendent Tony Tata, Wake County Schools
5:00 PM Closing Remarks and Adjournment , Dr. Harrison