NC Budget and Tax Center, Uncategorized

Bring Jobs Home

On this Independence Day, it is time to bring jobs home. Too many jobs have left the United States and North Carolina in the last few decades as a result of our growing trade deficit and policies that support the outsourcing of jobs.  In combination with the effect of the Great Recession, the result is a growing job deficit that puts a strain on families, communities and the long-term growth of our economy.

In North Carolina alone 107,000 jobs have been lost to China in the last decade while jobs lost to Mexico in 2010 alone totaled 18,900.

Currently, U.S. companies can take a tax deduction for their moving expenses every time they outsource jobs, a policy that is grossly un-American.  The Bring Jobs Home Act would give companies a tax incentive for moving jobs back to America and eliminates the tax deduction for moving expenses.

Greater focus on North Carolina’s job deficit is needed and fixing the federal tax code can help do that.  Such a step is critical for the state to rebuild and workers to produce goods and provide services here.

1. Frank Burns

July 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Indeed, yes a greater focus is needed. This should be the number one priority of every single member of the NC legislature, the Governor and the President of the United States. We need to bring the jobs back. This issue is much more important than health care, fracking, or college tuition. Priorities need to be re-directed.

The Bring Jobs Act would be an excellent first step.

Thanks for this article and call for action!

2. jrf12

July 5, 2012 at 9:43 am

The outsourcing of jobs is a good thing. It allows capital at home to be spent towards producing jobs that create goods and services that there is a higher demand for and that will improve quality of life. Of course, capital can only be reinvested if the market is free enough for improved industry to move in and for people to gain access to re-education opportunities to adapt to it. For instance, a few decades ago, pretty much all of the steel industry in Pittsburgh was bought by Japan and relocated to places with lower production costs and wages for workers. Instead of lamenting this fact, Pittsburgh deregulated its economy and the software industry jumped on it. Now Pittsburgh is a much wealthier and cleaner place to live in (I would know. My family’s lived there since the fifties when steel particle dust would cover the lawn every afternoon.). Of course, there was a painful adjustment period. Things don’t happen over night. Rome wasn’t built in a day. I grant that providing incentives to keep jobs here that we don’t need and are too costly to maintain might look like a great short-term solution. But such a faulty economic policy will actually stalemate our economy and lead to a decrease in the standard of living over time. Are you looking for a quick fix with horrible long-term effects? Or are you looking for sustainable economic prosperity? This is economics 101. There’s a book you should read. It’s called Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. After reading it you should be better able to inform your audience. Just trying to help you out.

3. Frank Burns

July 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

JRF,
    There has to be a balance and righ now it’s tilted too much the other way and our economy is suffering due to people being out of work. I’ve seen how Pittsburg has transformed itself and it’s a good story. I’m not satisfied with the over reliance on outsourcing which ends up helping Red China, India, et al while our citizens suffer. The other problem is we are getting lower quality products from Red China and I’m willing to pay more for products that are higher quality which are typically made in the US. How many diswashers, washing machines have you purchased recently?

4. jrf12

July 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

Mr. Burns,

I appreciate the comments. Those are good points. I would suggest that there is an imbalance because there are so many barriers to entry (regulations) for new businesses. Again, outsourcing is not itself the problem, though I do agree that we are losing jobs faster than we are making them. It is the result of a century-old problem in our economic policies. Do you want to treat the symptom or the disease? Like I said above, it comes down to whether people want a quick Keynesian fix or a solution that will lead to real economic growth for future generations.

Also, I see no problem with helping people in other parts of the world (i.e. Red China) obtain employment and earn wages (even if they are meager by our standards). It helps people living under those leftist regimes to learn the virtues of the free market. I do think you have a good argument, though, and I’m definitely not in favor of propping up dictatorships and socialists or justifying their regimes. I will have to think about that one a bit more.

As to your last comment, I have yet to purchase a dishwasher or a washing machine. I only make 8 bucks an hour. Such is the life of a recent college graduate who graduated top of his class from the most difficult school in the country. I did buy a used car once, though. It was from Japan. And my computer is from the U.S. Both of these purchases support my point 100% (I think you’ll be able to understand why.). ;)

5. david esmay

July 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Good grief, two trolls in a circle jerk.

6. Jack

July 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Red China? The use of such Cold War language is so 20th Century.

7. Frank Burns

July 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Excuse me Jack. I never got the message. As long as they continue to be Communist, they will continue to be Red. Taiwan is free China.

8. jrf12

July 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Wow. It must be a sign of ignorance that Jack and David choose to dish out insults and meaningless critiques of word usage instead of participate in rational discussion. Until I hear a compelling argument on why I’m wrong or why Mr. Burns is wrong, I will consider you two as novices. And yes, China is definitely Communist. And the symbols of its government are literally red in color. What world do you live in?

9. Jack

July 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

Then Red Russia is appropriate as is Red Viet Nam and so forth. And thanks for enlighten me that China is a communist country. Doesn’t seem to matter to the major American companies doing business in China selling American products. Because times have changed the baby boomers need to let go of their 20th Century worldview and step into today’s world.

I’m not saying that Red before China is inappropriate I’m saying it is so Joe McCarthy and Cold War language that those who use it are behind the times in understanding where things are today in a world of globalization. Such language doesn’t even come out of Washington today.

By the way, insults and meaningless critiques are in the eye of the beholder. Get some classes to see the world for what it is.