Rep. Larry Kissell’s integrity problem

While Rep. Renee Ellmers wins the contest for most lies told per minute about the Affordable Care Act, Kissell should be honored for flipping and flopping more than any other member of Congress when it comes to his votes and views on health reform.

Kissell, of course, justified his vote against health reform by misrepresenting the measures in the law aimed at curbing Medicare fraud. Then things got interesting.

In 2011 Kissell said that he opposed repealing the Affordable Care Act and even voted against repeal. As recently as June 27, 2012, he was celebrating new funds flowing to Cabarrus Community Health Centers. He even had the gall to claim credit for securing the grant. This money is from a provision in the ACA that expands community health centers. That means Kissell voted against funding for Cabarrus Community Health Centers.

Now we come to yesterday’s vote. After saying that he opposes full repeal, and after taking credit for ACA funding of community health centers, Kissell changed course and voted for full repeal of health reform. That would mean snatching back the grant he recently took credit for.

Obviously, the Congressman’s contortions are due to the redrawing of his district lines. And even with his new stance he is unlikely to win reelection. And if this is his last year of service it will be sad that a career that began with such promise ended with such pretense.

1. gregflynn

July 12, 2012 at 10:59 am

The irony is piled even deeper when you realize that Cabarrus Community Health Centers, Inc. has been run by Fletcher Hartsell and Jeff Barnhart, both organizers of Right Change, which has spent millions attacking Obama and the Affordable Care Act.

2. Adam Linker

July 12, 2012 at 11:01 am

Indeed.

3. Rev. Carl Johnson

July 12, 2012 at 11:24 am

We need leaders with the moral courage to fight the good fight on our behalf. Not those pretend leaders whose votes and positions are like sails in the prevailing winds. I have more respect for those who stand and fight, rather than those who change sides so easily.

4. david esmay

July 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

One would think directing tax dollars into one’s pocket would be right up Hartsell’s alley. (cockney accent),He’s got ‘is dirtee little fingers in ev’ry dirtee lit’l pie in Cabarrus county. It’s got be spoken like “Brick Top” from “Snatch”.

5. Nicht

July 12, 2012 at 2:53 pm

The blogosphere’s integrity problem is more interesting.

It’s almost like Adam Linker and the rest of Chapel Hill can’t vote here and just scream in a vacuum of their own making.

6. Paula Wolf

July 12, 2012 at 3:05 pm

He also portrayed himself as pro-choice when he first ran. His voting record on the insulting, misogynist, and theocratic bills the House passed would tell a different story. One of the main reasons that I do not give money to parties or caucuses is that they would turn around and give it to Kissell or McIntyre. The Dems say it is about numbers. But if you can never count on their votes, what good is it?

7. Adam Linker

July 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Nicht, first let me address your most insulting barb. I don’t live in Chapel Hill. I live in Pitt County. Some of my family is from Concord and I certainly have no desire to live in Kissell’s district.

Second, did Kissell promise you that he would oppose repeal of health reform or did he tell you he would vote for repeal. I guess since he has done both then it doesn’t matter how he told you he would vote.

8. Nicht

July 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Fair enough Adam. Appreciate your willingness to engage a real Democrat from the 8th instead of just blogging about how stupid we all are.

To answer your question, Kissell never promised anything about Romneycare. He just promised to protect Medicare, which the original version cut by a half billion.

He’s a really awesome family man and true shooter which is something I continue to find lacking in the armchair class of bloggers and wannabe democrats.

9. Adam Linker

July 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I don’t really have opinion about whether or not you should vote for him. I just don’t think he has been honest about health reform. I even engaged Kissell during a meeting – in the midst of the ACA debate – and went through the different changes to Medicare. I asked which of them he opposed and then he changed the subject to make a different excuse for voting against reform. Then he said he would vote against repeal, which he did. But then he voted yesterday for repeal.

I don’t know how he is on other issues but he has not been honest about the ACA.

10. Nicht

July 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Again, I find the GOP brilliant for making us fight about what was originally termed ROMNEYCARE.

Don’t wedge me.

11. Adam Linker

July 12, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Ha, it is Romneycare indeed.

12. Millenial Democrat

July 21, 2012 at 1:45 am

It is sad to see a congressman who campaigned as a progressive in 2008 to do complete 180s in 2012. I know his district is more Republican, but he his ticking off his own base a lot. My prediction is that he will lose.