Government by tantrum

Here is the kind of thing that was being referenced when we reported recently that the North Carolina General Assembly was starting to resemble the U.S. Congress.

According to this report, opponents of President Obama are so set on blocking consideration of any judicial appointees during the fourth year of his term that they’re even filibustering a judge with overwhelming conservative support!

As you might recall, leaders of the General Assembly have stymied several of the Governor’s appointments to the state Board of Education (and other important state panels) in a similar and wholly political fashion.

1. Frank Burns

July 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I see this trend happens when the chief executive; governor or president is weak, he or she loses all respect. This applies both locally and nationally.

2. jlp75

July 30, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Well Frank I don’t believe the powers granted to the executive are contingent upon the perceived strength according to Frank Burns.

3. david esmay

July 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I see this trend happens when tea party morons decide obstructionism is a form of government. This is what happens when conservatives elect those who are to incompetent to govern. This applies universally.

4. Frank Burns

July 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm

JLP, There isn’t much enthusiasm for a legislature to support a weak leader regardless of the balance of powers. Can you blame them? I can’t.

5. jlp75

July 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

So if you or the GOP or the dimwits in the General Assembly do not deem the next executive worthy they have the right to continue to ignore their duties and we can go four more years with out confirming appointments? It is irrelevant if they respect the executive. It is their job to either confirm or deny the appointments, not sit on their rear and twiddle their thumbs. Surely you patriotic stewards of the tax dollar should be appalled by the General Assembly sucking tax payer dollars for their salaries and failing to meet their obligations.

6. Frank Burns

July 31, 2012 at 6:21 am

JLP,
    See next blog regarding Perdue and the Asheville Water for an example of weak leadership.

7. jlp75

July 31, 2012 at 7:16 am

Frank, I am not defending Bev Perdue. I don’t think she has been an effective leader and you will not find any instances of me suggesting otherwise. My problem is the General Assembly’s inability to do the job they were elected and paid to do. Again there is nothing in the law that says confirm or deny appointments only if you respect the executive. Part of their job is to confirm or deny the appointments end of story. If they fail to do so they are not doing their job. This isn’t complicated.

8. Frank Burns

July 31, 2012 at 8:25 am

JLP,
    Ok I understand and feel your pain. How do you feel about the US Senate Dems refusing to pass a budget for over 3 years now? I’ve been raining tweets to our Dem Senator Kay Hagan. She is not doing her job. It’s a clear case of dereliction of duty.

9. jlp75

July 31, 2012 at 8:48 am

Well Frank, I am pretty much fed up with all of the BS that is going on with our elected officials so I am not going to condone the behavior of one party over another. They should all do the job they were elected to do or resign.