How come Dalton doesn’t have an N&O icon?

Maybe someone else has already raised this — if so I apologize for missing it — but how come Walter Dalton doesn’t seem to rate an N&O icon?

In the online version of the “Under the Dome ” section of Raleigh’s News & Observer newspaper, numerous politicians have their own little cartoon likenesses.  Bev Perdue, Richard Burr, Kay Hagan, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney (complete with silver sideburns) have little caricature icons. Even Senate leader Phil Berger has one. Pat McCrory’s mug has appeared scores of times to accompany stories about him.

But for some reason, Lt. Governor Dalton doesn’t seem to have one. Maybe I missed it, but a search of dozens of posts mentioning Dalton failed to turn it up.

Anyway, it’s obviously not huge deal, but it does raise at least a small question about the N&O and the balance of its political coverage. Every time a reader goes to Under the Dome these days, he or she has a good chance of seeing Pat McCrory smiling back in what is at least a semi-flattering mug shot. But not so for his opponent, Walter Dalton– a man who’s been a fairly significant political figure for several years.

What gives, N&O?

1. Rob Schofield

August 16, 2012 at 11:02 am

The N&O contacted me to say that, as I supsected, they don’t have a cartoonist anymore to do one. I guess I buy that — though Dalton has been a statewide figure for several years.

Anyway, still seems to me unbalanced to feature a smiling McCrory face every time a story is about him and a no visual for Dalton.

2. Andrew Ray Gorman

August 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

For the record, I’m not sure it matters. Both seem to represent the monied interests. We are given so little choice this election.

3. Adam Searing

August 16, 2012 at 11:33 am

Darn – I always dreamed of the day when I would rate an N+O icon.

4. James

August 16, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Sounds like a pretty lame excuse for being unfair and unbalanced. Or maybe I should say pathetically lame.

5. Frank Burns

August 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm

In my opinion, Dalton offers no inspiration politically and therefore does not rate having an icon.

6. Jeff S

August 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Slow news day? I can only hope this post was a joke.

7. sundance kidd

August 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

“The N&O contacted me to say that, as I supsected, they don’t have a cartoonist anymore to do one.”

Sadly, McClatchy newspapers don’t have many investigative reporters anymore, either.

8. Frances Jenkins

August 17, 2012 at 5:41 am

Does this mean that the fair and balanced Rob will be keeping count when the Republicans are treated unfairly in the press? We have come full circle. I will be looking every hour and day for a report on the unfair treatment of the Republicans as pointed out by Rob. I know this nonprofit, seekers of justice, always fair and truthful will be on the constant look out for such a violation. You go Rob, time is passing.