The real terrorist threat

Leonard Pitts of the Miami Herald tells it like it is in this column that was reprinted in the Charlotte Observer this morning:

Can we finally say the thing we have not said so far?

Last week, a white supremacist shot up a Sikh temple near Milwaukee, killing six people and wounding three. It is considered likely that the shooter mistook the Sikhs, whose men wear beards and turbans, for Muslims. The massacre came a few weeks after a characteristically baseless charge by Michele Bachmann and several other conservative legislators that a Muslim aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has ties to Islamic extremism.

The juxtaposition of those two events is emphatically not meant to suggest Bachmann somehow “caused” the Wisconsin rampage. No, the point is that we are looking for terror in all the wrong places. Or, perhaps more accurately, that we are not looking for it in all the right places.

In the almost 20 years since the first attack by Muslim extremists on the World Trade Center, the following things have happened: the bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City leaves 168 dead and 500 injured; one person is killed, over 100 wounded, in a bombing at the Olympics in Atlanta; seven people are arrested for plotting to attack U.S. military bases; Dr. Barnett Slepian is shot and killed in Amherst, N.Y.; five people die in a shooting spree near Pittsburgh; the FBI arrests a man who tried to buy ingredients for sarin, the deadly nerve gas, from an undercover agent; Dr. George Tiller is shot and killed in Wichita, Kan.; a man and his daughter are killed in their home in Arivaca, Ariz.; a man flies a small plane into a building in Austin, killing himself and one other. And now, this.

These incidents and dozens more comprise a list maintained by the Southern Poverty Law Center. What they all have in common is that they spring from motivations (i.e., opposition to taxation, government, immigrants, blacks, gays, abortion and Muslims) that more or less define modern, mainstream, conservatism. So yes, it is time to say the obvious thing no one seems to be saying:

America is under attack by right-wing terrorists.

You can read the rest of the article by clicking here.

1. david esmay

August 16, 2012 at 9:41 am

The Koch brothers and the neo-cons tools that soak up their propaganda are our greatest terrorist threat, no doubt about it. In NC it’s the GOP in the GA.

2. Frank Burns

August 16, 2012 at 9:49 am

We should not allow ourselves to be lulled into taking our eye off the ball and that is the real danger that Islamic extremism poses to any free society. The influence that the Muslim Brotherhood has within our government should be investigated. They are attempting to get Sharia law authorized within this country.

3. frances

August 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

All the folks who committed these acts were sick, disturbed individuals. Anyone has to be sick themselves to somehow try to connect them to a political movement.

4. david esmay

August 16, 2012 at 10:10 am

Really Frances? Do you honestly think any of these people don’t identify with a political movement?

5. Nonanon

August 16, 2012 at 10:34 am

Really David? You think they do?

I tend to agree with Frances, disturbed individuals cut across political bounds. While I will say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, in the case of anti-abortionists.

Hate exists on both sides. To deny that and blame conservatism is ludicrous. With a society split 50/50 on what course of action to take to right our economy, we have played into the hands of the oligarchy, who want nothing more than divide and conquer.

Which of course, includes disarming the populace. When martial law comes, not if, when, then we’ll find neither side is right, and we’ve all been played by the chief conspirator, the Devil. He is the true enemy of God, not a political persuasion.

Rob, you’re being played. You heard it hear first.

6. Ricky Leung

August 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

Actually we’ve been played by God. If that is your religion. Since God is omnipotent and omniscient, he controls and created everything, including the Devil. Did you not ever hear that common say, “it’s God’s plan”? Everything, even what the Devil does, has been planned by God. (Also God has no enemies. Nothing can challenge His power because He is omnipotent. How can an omnipotent, omniscient being have enemies? Especially when He created them in the first place?)

Nonanon, you’re being played. Ever since before the beginning of the universe.

Disclaimer: this is all using the logic of the religion of the Judeochristian God, not necessarily reflective of my own beliefs. Also not necessarily not reflective of my own beliefs.

7. Nonanon

August 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ricky, so using your own logic, you don’t believe a word you’re saying. If you’re going to mock, let me correct you on one count. Satan is an enemy of God. But since you reject God, what business is it of yours what I believe. You can simply say so, or is the real terrorist threat from God haters? Islam extremists shout, Allah Akbar when committing acts of war or terror. They do it in the name of their god. Anti-abortionists do it in the name of their god, which should tell you something. Is Islam a terrorist organization? Then why even attempt to label conservatism as such. Something is very clouded in the minds of those who do, and I know who is behind it,

Oh, that I had one to hear me!
    (Here is my signature! Let the Almighty answer me!)
    Oh, that I had the indictment written by my adversary!
    (Job 31:35 ESV)

It’s time to choose a side, and I see you’ve chosen yours.

8. Joe Coletti

August 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm

The Sikh Temple shooting is a terrorist attack, but why did you choose to post this the day after someone tried shooting his way through the Family Research Council in an attempted terrorist attack?

From the Washington Post: ‘Corkins said “I don’t like your politics,” according to the FBI affifavit. He then shot at Johnson, the affidavit said, and hit him in the arm.

‘D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier credited Johnson with preventing a tragedy by stopping Corkins from reaching the upstairs offices in the group’s six-story building at Eighth and G streets NW.

‘The FBI affifavit said authorities recovered the 9mm Sig Sauer handgun, plus two additional magazines of ammunition. When agents searched Corkins’s backback, they found another 50 rounds of ammunition, and 15 sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A.’

9. Nonanon

August 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm

What, no twinkies?

10. david esmay

August 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Yes, disturbed individuals cut across the political spectrum, it’s just that the vast majority have been armed right-wing extremists.

11. Ricky Leung

August 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Nonanon, I haven’t told you what I believe. I only used the logic of popular Judeochristian beliefs. I was not trying to mock, but to clarify. I never rejected God. If anything, what I wrote before is a glorification of God’s omnipotence and omniscience. I can only imagine that you might be the one interpreting my words as mockery. That only shows the depth of your faith in God’s omnipotence and omniscience.

Satan is not really an enemy of God. Lucifer is a fallen angel. God can squash him like a bug anytime He wants. If I were a devout Southern Baptist (and I am not saying that I’m not, nor that I am), I would have so much faith in my God that I wouldn’t even worry about the Devil, only pity him for his eternal separation from glory.

I was mainly confused in your original comment why you brought in Devil and God in the first place. First you say you agree that they are disturbed individuals and then blame the Devil? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If you are blaming the Devil, you are also blaming God. Because God created the Devil. He created everything.

12. JeffS

August 16, 2012 at 9:17 pm

The other guy’s religion makes him an extremist.
    The other guy’s god is a false one.
    The other guy’s religion is a threat to government.
    The other guy’s killing makes him a terrorist.

For me, it’s laughable to hear people in this country decry Muslims as dangerous terrorists and a threat to their way of life while your government occupies their countries and slaughters civilians by the thousands.

Perhaps the concern is that if they ever rose to power politically and militarily that they would treat you the same way you have been treating them.

Anyone who cannot see that the “terrorist” label is a tool to control the population are well… sufficiently controlled.

13. Frank Burns

August 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Jeff,
    Allow me to correct your error, Islamic extremism is what I was referring to not peace loving Muslims. The only people I see trying to control the population are from the left.