Another state capitol building more impressive than ours

I’ve been to at least 16 state capital cities this year and I’m embarrassed to say that in every one, the state capitol building has been much more impressive than North Carolina’s effort. ┬áLast week in Harrisburg, PA – not exactly the biggest city in the country – I walked by their capitol building:

1. Frank Burns

December 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

From my experience in living in NC, guady and glitz are not traits commonly found with it’s citizens. With NC, you get more than is visible on the surface. There is an understated level of performance with its citizens, along with depth of character. Showy buildings may have curb appeal but lack functionality regarding maintenance. The NC capital building reflects the traits of her citizens, solid, and functional. Along with most citizens of NC, we are mostly incapable of placing form with a higher priority over function.

2. Sean D Sorrentino

December 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

The PA capital building is beautiful. I’ve been inside it and it’s wall to wall marble and glitz. It probably cost more money than I care to think about.

I hope that you are not suggesting that we waste enormous amounts of money building something like it. I’m sure we could find better uses for taxpayer money than a monument to our government.

3. david esmay

December 19, 2012 at 11:08 am

From my experience listening to Frank, intelligence and insight are not found in his comments and observations.

4. david esmay

December 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Sean, look at the era most capital buildings were built, most were built as monuments to reflect the growth, progress, industry and architecture of the states. Most were built from the 1870s-WWI.

5. Jack

December 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Your embarrassed?!

My other question is, “Why did NCPW allow your nonsensical comment to be posted?”

6. Alex

December 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

It’s interesting that Harrisburg Pa. is completely broke, a bankrupt city. Looks can be deceiving as esmay proves every day with his incessant ramblings.

7. Adam Searing

December 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Folks – it isn’t just Pennsylvania – in my opinion even Austin, Columbia, Madison, and Jackson do a better, more impressive job than we do – at least with regard to their capitol buildings. As a proud North Carolinian, I’m merely suggesting that we may want to take this into account the next time we do some renovations in Raleigh. I understand that some may not be proud to be a North Carolinian or even may be from some other state and so don’t share my desire for the Old North State to keep getting better, but I for one am ready to move forward.

8. david esmay

December 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

It’s interesting to note AlexDougFrances is a complete tool.

9. Alex

December 20, 2012 at 7:05 am

When you have nothing else intelligent to say, the last resort is to call someone names….. quite childish I would say !

10. david esmay

December 20, 2012 at 9:27 am

AlexDougFrances the thread is a comment about architecture, what’s childish is your daily inability to comment on the subject at hand. You are incapable of making an intelligent fact based comment in any discussion. Despite their financial woes Forbes rated Harrisburg one of the top ten places to raise a family and the Daily Beast ranked it #7 in recession proof metropolitan areas. Harrisburg played a significant role in the industrial revolution and the Civil War. They have a lot to be proud of, yet every juvenile snarky comment you make, doesn’t high light their deficiencies, only yours.

11. Alex

December 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

If it’s so nice david, maybe you should consider moving up there. I’m sure Frank would help you move. Don’t expect many city services though !

12. david esmay

December 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Alex, maybe you should consider placing you lips on my posterior, you can choose the location and I’ll give you half an hour to draw a crowd.

13. Alex

December 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm

David, my grandfather used to say a person’s lack of breeding would always show up eventually. He was a very wise man !