House avoids fiscal cliff, splits NC delegation

The dean of North Carolina’s congressional delegation broke with many in his party in voting to approve a Senate compromise to avoid the “fiscal cliff.”

Rep. Howard Coble was among 85 House Republicans, and the only Republican in the state delegation, to OK the deal, which offsets middle class tax increases and delays defense and domestic spending cuts while raising tax rates on incomes over $400,000

Reps. Brad Miller and Mike McIntyre were among Democrats who voted to reject the compromise deal.

Here’s how the rest of North Carolina’s House delegation voted:

Rep. Walter Jones – 3rd District
Rep. Virginia Foxx – 5th District
Rep. Mike McIntyre – 7th District
Rep. Sue Myrick – 9th District
Rep. Patrick McHenry – 10th District
Rep. Brad Miller – 13th District

Tuesday’s late-night decision was the last critical vote for Kissell, Shuler, Myrick, and Miller. The new 113th Congress will be sworn in Thursday, January 3rd.

1. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 8:40 am

The 800 lb gorilla sitting in the room and which has not been addressed yet is the overspending. Just raising taxes is not a “balanced approach.” With the debt ceiling being reached in February, hopefully somebody will have the courage to do the right thing and cut federal spending.

2. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

Where was this Boomer interest in 2000, when spending should’ve been addressed? Gore proposed a lockbox that would’ve ended raiding the Trust Fund which would have necessitated Boomers to take responsibility for their spending and pay more in taxes, but no. Not only did the Boomers continue the spending (including Cold War defense overspending) and the raiding, but they elected a president who lowered taxes for themselves across the board while putting two wars on the credit card. Right now we have to focus on a sluggish economy— when the economy is churning along, government revenues will rise and the deficit spending will cease. That is, if the avarice of the rich would stop bleeding to death so many companies (ie Hostess) and start “creating” those jobs they claim they create.

3. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 10:57 am

The Conservative Boomers have seen the problem with funding Social Security for some time and have raised the alarm again and again, only to be told by the leftwing boomers that there is no problem with social security. The left wing boomers are still saying that to this very day. So please point that crooked millenial finger in the proper direction, the left.

4. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 11:03 am

With the exception that the left was who was proposing the lockbox in 2000 (a good proposal) while the right suggested privatizing it in 2004, which would have been rather disastrous considering the housing bubble on the horizon. And it isn’t JUST Social Security, but the general irresponsibility and dereliction of duty on display by the entire generation that is at fault.

5. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 11:39 am

The lock box scenario was a fraud to begin with and everybody knew it. The people who are paying into social security goes out to those who are accepting social security. The only people who are raiding social security are all the people claiming disability and really aren’t. Its the lawyers who are raiding social security. Al Gore said lots of things. I will remind you that Al Gore was also the guy who said the sea level would go up 20 ft by 2100, that prediction is also not going very well thankfully.

Again don’t group the conservatives into the irresponsibility of the left wing boomers and I won’t group you with the irresponsible millenials who elected Obama. Now we’re all stuck with him.

Its worth repeating, the left is still saying that there is no problem with social security. Prove me wrong, find any politician on the left who thinks we should address the problems with social security.

6. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 12:13 pm

It is the federal government raiding Social Security because tax rates were too low. One-third of the federal debt is intragovernmental holdings, a total scam that the government writes IOUs to itself, which is basically an unnecessary burden on future generations to replace the Trust Fund so that the Boomers can squander their retirement by subsidizing their own irresponsible low taxes. It’s fake debt and should be expunged from the ledger— that fixes your false dilemma of the “fiscal cliff” and need for raising the debt ceiling.

As for sea levels, they are rising but who knows where they will be in 87 years— what a ridiculous misdirection, by the way. Luckily for 2100, regardless of where sea levels are, at least the Boomer generation will be 6 feet under.

I happily voted thrice for Obama— once against Rodham and twice against terrible Republican candidates (McCain would’ve been a great choice in 2000, but not in 2008). And speaking of your request— here is President Obama on the issue of Social Security: http://www.ontheissues.org/2012/Barack_Obama_Social_Security.htm

I don’t abide by your left-right divide partisan nonsense either, such a hideous political scam that has given us the worst and least productive Congress in history.

7. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Since you happily voted for Obama, then don’t complain, you elected him, a spend thrift, lousy no good, corrupt, weak kneed, leadership deprived, pathetic excuse for a president. He cares nothing for improving business but just wants to redistribute income. The quote you provided said nothing. He believes that social security is sound and all it needs is tweaks. There you go, my statement stands.

As proof of my statement regarding the irresponsibility of the left, when was the last time you saw a federal budget come out of the Democratic, repeat, Democratic Party controlled Senate. Is that what you call doing their job? Its been 3 years.

The rising sea levels are a scam and it was appropriate for me to mention that since that was Al Gore’s prediction. What a fool! Sea levels have been stable for the past 50 years. You have been taken in by the leftwingnuts who claims there is a problem. The data says otherwise. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/1520-0442(2004)017%3C2609%3AEOTRDO%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Look at the conservatives who actually want to solve problems and look at the left who just want to throw stones, misdirect, whine and run when the going gets tough.

You have a problem with Boomers, don’t put that on me, its your problem. The problems with the economy are coming from the foolish policies coming from the left. It has nothing to do with boomers.

8. Mike B

January 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Its no secret the left has a spending problem. However you’d never get a Republican to admit that they have a spending problem equal to or greater than the Democrats. How the heck can Republicans with a straight face call themselves “Conservatives” ? You sure are not Fiscal Conservatives nor are you Consititutional Conservationist. The only the I can see you on the right trying to Conserve is some deranged version of Christian Law. Much like the Muslims with their Sharia Law.

9. Mike B

January 2, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Oh and before you group me off as a millennial Obama leftist.. Guess again. I am a Gen X registered Libertarian. Republicans you are out of control. You party deserves to belly up.

10. Mike B

January 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Your*

11. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Your statement was to find a politician who wishes to address the problems; he was responding to problems— ergo, don’t move the goal post.

I don’t see how the president’s job is to improve business– cite that from the Constitution.

If it weren’t for gerrymandering, we’d be talking about a Democratic Party controlled House too. However, if you’d look over my statements, you’d see I was criticizing all of Congress.

As for sea level rise— the abstract alone states that there has been demonstrable sea level rise over that period in various places, to quote: “A regional pattern of sea level rise is identified. The maximum sea level rise is in the eastern off-equatorial Pacific and there is a minimum along the equator, in the western Pacific, and in the eastern Indian Ocean. A greater rate of sea level rise on the eastern North American coast compared with the United Kingdom and the Scandinavian peninsula is also found”. What that period has to do with 2100 is most fascinating if I were, say, a house pet who gets easily distracted by those laser pointers. I am not. You disproved nothing, and yet you claim the left “throw stones” (like your opening paragraph against Obama?), “misdirect” (sea levels in 2100?), and “whine” (as you do about the “left”?)? In fact, all 3 of those apply to the false left-right political divide fabrication to which you cling.

Yes, I do have a major problem with the Boomers— they are the worst generation ever in US history. They have created so many problems for this country. They are leaving a worse country than what they inherited and the largest debt burden ever— absolutely despicable. What is it you expect? Gratitude?

12. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Obama said nothing. He talks fine though (see I complimented him), but there is no substance.

Business provides jobs, are you content with more unemployed, video game playing millenials?

Gerrymanding was a Democratic invention. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Tough luck.

You must have missed this quote from the study on sea levels “With the decadal variability in the computed global mean sea level, it is not possible to detect a significant increase in the rate of sea level rise over the period 1950–2000.” The statement on sea levels was made to reinforce all the stupid things that Al Gore has said or done. He is a clown.

You have a personal hangup against Boomers which is obvious. Tough. As a boomer myself your hangup is not my problem. Live with it. I make no apologies.

13. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Stop moving the goal post— I met the criteria you set forth regarding finding a politician on the left.

I’m content with job creation, which hasn’t been done under the feckless policies of conservatives who have offered little more than obstruction since President Obama took office.

Your sea level distraction is quaint. I’ll give you that. Gore, however, has not been disproven by your clinging to a study about sea levels that have nothing to do with 2100.

Typical irresponsible Boomer narcissism… I expected no apologies, but my problems are your problems passed down to us. We’ll fix the country, just as soon as you guys relinquish control or give up the ghost.

14. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

No, your problems are from irresponsible leftwingnut politicians. Spend, spend, spend with no end in sight. Obama is returning to his vacation in Hawaii which will cost the taxpayers $7 MM. Money is no object. I think the basic problem is the left is incapable of restraining their spending ways.

I reckon its easier on you to blame other generations instead of your own actions by contributing to the re-election of Obama and other left leaning politicians who ignore problems but create many others. Your president was successful in getting re-elected by blaming somebody else and splitting the country into groups, so you have a pathetic example to look up to, a leader who never accepts responsibility. It’s Bush, the wind, the waves, the weather, etc.

15. Mike B

January 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Frank – the Republicans.. Spend Spend Spend.. as well just on different crap. Those proposed spending cuts by the Republicans only tinkered around the edges of automatic future spending increases. They have no realistic cuts on the table. All the Republicans want to do is slap a bandaid on a dam about to burst.. Instead of a real solution. So, I don’t know what your problem with the left is? Because the Republicans are in the same place on spending.

16. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Typical narcissism— there you go telling me what my problems are. Typical, because isn’t that what you did for Generation X and Y, defining them as scum before they ever had a chance to climb out from under your generation’s heel? That is, after all, how Generation X got that label…

Here, let me use your words in a manner that might put perspective on things: “You have a personal hangup against progressives which is obvious. Tough. As a progressive myself your hangup is not my problem. Live with it. I make no apologies.”

But, really, let’s rewind the clock, as you claim gerrymandering was invented by Democrats— Bush II divided America when he put forth the “if you’re not with us you’re against us”. He vilified gays while Republicans vilified Muslims. Limbaugh’s been vilifying the left and Democrats since before I was born— I listened to it while growing up, even read his books. So me blaming a generation that I can easily prove has done measurable damage to this country is at least a defensible position unlike the quote of yours I mocked in the paragraph above this one. Just as it can be proven Obama inherited a ridiculous, preventable mess from Bush II— it’s like a microcosm preview for the future when Generation X takes the mantle of leadership from the Baby Boomers, aka Generation Abaddon.

And blame my own actions? My actions contributed next to nothing to the trillions of debt. That’s all Boomer right there. How about how you guys whined about fighting in a jungle to contain Communism (a noble goal), and yet send X and Y to the optional sand trap in Iraq for no reason at all? Oh, and you did that on the country’s credit card. A lot of the Bush II years were done on the country’s credit card. You say the lockbox was a bad idea, but your proof is sea levels over the last 50 years and how that somehow translates to 2100. In fact, locking the Trust Fund out of Congress’ hands would have prevented 1/3 of the federal debt and have had the money for when it is needed— which, if I recall correctly, is better than spending it and expecting future generations to pay up. But then your generation would’ve spent the last 12 years paying up on all those tax dollars you spend on yourselves instead of borrowing it to the tune of trillions because, you know, it isn’t your problem— it’s Xs and Ys, the no-good crybabies we are, too busy playing video games and working crap jobs to pay for expensive college education. Why can’t we be more like the adults in Congress, those Baby Boomers who act like petulant children because their effective tax rate isn’t in the negatives?

You are all sorts of wrong, Mr. Burns— with antiquated notions rather reminiscent of the Simpsons’ character of which your name reminds me. Wrong and unfortunately ignorant of your own wrong-doings, and that is why your generation’s legacy will not be positively viewed in retrospect. After all, Boomers mastered the art of political framing, but just as dead men tell no tales, they can neither frame them either, and history will be free to judge you as I do now, without Boomers there to “throw stones, misdirect, whine and run when the going gets tough.”

17. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Mike B, I agree with everything you’ve said. Both parties are going to have to work together and be responsible about effective tax rates and budgetary control, but when you consider my arguments aimed against the generation in power in both those parties— the prerequisites of paying their debts, controlling their spending, and otherwise being responsible just isn’t there. But, you know, sea levels in 2100 or some such— look, a squirrel!

18. Alex

January 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm

This is the first good old knock-down, no-holds-barred fight of 2013, and I’m enjoying it. Where the heck is esmay ?

19. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I refuse to get into defending my generation against yours, as that is not the problem. You have made it a problem, its you.

It’s the left who has mastered political framing and that started with Slick Willy Clinton himself. Do you know what the meaning of is, is? The conservatives get villified by the complicent press when they speak the truth and try to stop the insanity of spending gone wild. Its the left who continues to bury their head in the sand and say that there is no problem with spending. I don’t care what Limbaugh has to say, I can see the problem with my own eyes.

You can mock my words which is your privalege but it rings hollow. The left has a record and Boomers come in all persuasions (left and right). Your generation split is hereby rejected as having no basis but in your own mind.

Its the left that is splitting this country into groups, which you yourself are trying to do and I refuse to accept. The left is creating a nation of whiners. Where are the leaders who roll up their sleeves and solve problems? I don’t see that from anybody on the left. Thriftiness is not a virtue with the left. Have you ever in your lifetime seen a politician from the left urge fiscal restraint? We can see with our own eyes how loose they are with other peoples money and how miserly they are with charities. Again where is the US budget?

20. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 3:06 pm

“Do you know what the meaning of ‘is’ is?” would have been the proper way to write that. It makes no sense to use commas to separate the sentence’s verb from itself. As for political framing, that isn’t even— it is a legal distinction and a philosophical argument. Reframing is what you’ve been attempting to do, and noticing you can’t you’ve decided to somehow shame me by tossing the generational argument under the bus.

Let’s face it— you have no defense. It is indefensible what your generation has done. And you don’t even have the testicular fortitude to apologize for the destruction you’ve wrought. But neither do locusts, and there really is no difference.

You guys started the generational argument decades before I was born, against your parents’ generation when you rallied around with ‘free love and drugs’ and you’ve decided to rail against those of us who follow, “Generation X” and now the Millennials.

Fox News has made political reframing into a grotesque art form, feeding nonsense to a viewership filled with whiners and from there I can see various splintering of the country away from, what is it you guys call “Real America”? With your Tea Party, and your Christian Coalition, and your hatred of immigrants, and your attack on the mentally ill (yeah, that was me in that post actually defending your argument that their needs ought to be addressed), and those who were against the Iraqi invasion, and Muslims having the right to assembly anywhere within the hemisphere as Ground Zero, and the War on Christmas, and atheists, and etc etc etc. It’s tiresome. So you’re being disingenuous if you think I’m going to buy this argument that the left is somehow splitting this country into groups and somehow conservatives are fiscally responsible (all 3 conservative presidents going back to 1980 increased the debt— the last one by 5 trillion dollars). I’ve littered this page with so much evidence to the contrary of your left-right partisan lies that it is laughable you persist. Face it, Boomer— the handwriting is on the wall.

21. Jack

January 2, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Frank, you need to listen to the up and coming generation. As for political framing or reframing – do you really think it all began with Clinton? Really?! You need to read at least a little of American political history.

22. Frank Burns

January 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Jack, I try not to judge a prerson by the color of their skin, sexual orientation, religion or age generation. Doing that is highly destructive to our society. No group deserves more attention than any other., no matter how much of a fit they pitch.

23. Chris Patrick

January 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Who was judging individuals here? This is as legitimate a criticism of the ruling generation as it is how you cling to left-right partisan politics, and with plenty of evidence unlike your vapid “leftists did so-and-so” and “sea levels in 2100″, Mr. Burns. Your last sentence, however, is as ridiculous as it is hypocritical, considering your stance on the mentally ill.

24. david esmay

January 2, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Wow, hate that I was working in the mud all day and missed this, but I have to agree with Mike B, I haven’t met a conservative republican yet, who wouldn’t spend five dollars to save a nickle, all the while thumping his bible and talking family values while filling his own pockets with money.

25. david esmay

January 2, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I like this Chris Patrick kid.