WRAL has video of all 36 minutes of Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger’s surprisingly far-ranging press conference today and today’s edition of the Fitzsimon File will have a thorough analysis shortly.
For those looking for some preliminary quick takeaways, however, here were a few of the highlights/low-lights:
Berger has decided to go all in with the far right agenda and appears to see it as his pathway to seeking the GOP nomination to take on Kay Hagan in 2014. Moreover, his legislative “agenda” was/is an utterly predictable recitation of Locke Foundation/Civitas/Art Pope priorities:
- A new round of state budget cuts;
- Education “reform” that focuses on turning most public school teachers into, effectively, “temps”;
- Unemployment insurance “reform” that slashes benefits and eligibility for out-of-work people;
- Mandatory photo ID for all voters;
- Complete resistance to implementation of Obamacare;
- Abolition of the state corporate and personal income taxes and re-institution of the state sales tax on food;
- No new laws on guns, except perhaps, an examination of whether we might be able to move ahead with arming teachers and hiring armed guards for schools;
- No movement on the legislation passed last year by the GOP-controlled House to provide compensation for eugenics victims.
To which all a sane body can say in response is: God help us.