NC Budget and Tax Center

Prosperity Watch: Recovery continues to bypass African American workers

As the continuing stream of underwhelming jobs reports from the Division of Employment Security reminds us, North Carolina’s workers haven’t experienced much of a recovery since the end of the Great Recession almost four years ago. But if overall unemployment remains persistently high for all workers across the state, the story for African Americans is bleaker still. According to the most recent issue of Prosperity Watch, the recovery continues to bypass this historically marginalized community.  See the latest Prosperity Watch for details.

1. Doug

April 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I am not sure it is marginalization. More likely a culture with a lack of realization of the value of education is the culprit. At least that is what my personal experience in the NC government schools taught me, as well as years of hearing stories from multiple family members who were teachers in government schools. Eventually they have to pay the piper for not trying in school, then I get to pay when they get on the government dole.

2. Chris

April 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I agree with Doug, more tax dollars should be going to education.

As for prosperity, it bypasses those of us who have to pay for the Boomers who broke the country right when they are about to get on the government dole, since they failed to properly pay for their future expenses by shoring up Social Security instead of saddling us with their irresponsible debt.

3. Doug

April 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I don’t think it is throwing dollars at the situation. The current direction of getting back to basics, starting curriculum based on trades or higher learning, and cancelling wasteful programs like head start need to done to free up current dollars that are wasted.

I do agree on your second paragraph fully. The boomers have participated in a ponzi scheme of voting ever higer benefits for those on the government dole until it has essentially bankrupted our system. Unfortunately it has doomed their kids and grand kids to ever poorer futures. I like to call them the “selfish generation” instead of boomers. If you think about it every phase of their life has left the country worse off 1960′s….hippie culture, decline of morals…1970′s continue decline of morals but add in the malaise…1980′s spend spend spend, excess consumption, add to government programs, 1990′s bid up stock market, put in poor lending controls so we set up for housing bubble….2000′s begin the financial crisis then start bankrupting the nation.

4. Chris

April 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I can agree that throwing dollars at any situation is pointless and fixes nothing. If you can accomplish more by spending less, then that is always preferable. Not really sure how you get that head start is wasteful though.

5. Allan Freyer

April 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Doug, your first comment violates the posting standards of this blog. Generalizing about an entire racial group by saying that they all don’t try in school and all go on the government dole–aside from being obviously factually incorrect–is blatantly racist.

6. Doug

April 10, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Head start has been a pretty wasteful program with little results from it. I have seen several news items on it lately, but dont have time to reference links.

Alan, sorry if you feel that way. I just speak from general experience, but I have had some limited experience to the opposite as I got out of government schools and have seen some people of that culture get out of the clutches of said culture. You can deny that a culture of ….what is the opposite of excellence, a politically correct word escapes me?….exists but go to the schools I went to and see what the culture is like before you bandy that opinion about. Like I said, I have been proud to associate with many members of the race and have counted many as great friends that I would rely on in jobs or other contexts…but the overall culture does not promote learning and hard work as a virture. Make of that what you will.

7. Chris

April 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Right or wrong, Allan Freyer, it seems like Doug is agreeing with points made by Bill Cosby: http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/cosby.asp Otherwise, I’m walking away from this discussion since I (a) have no experience on which to base an opinion, (b) don’t care to look up facts to support an opinion, and (c) have no black friends on which to put on display so as to deflect from any comments that may be deemed racist.

As for head start reference links, Doug, it isn’t that big a deal. We seem to agree overall (a preference for effective spending before more spending) and I really doubt quibbling over a single detail will accomplish anything.

8. Doug

April 10, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Nice to have a good discussion Chris. You are a breath of fresh air in that you don’t make us all have to agree on the same grounds, and that we all have had different experiences with different people.

9. Allan Freyer

April 10, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Doug, you can disagree with the factual material we post here as much as you’d like. What you may not do on this blog is generalize about an entire group of people in the way that you did with your first comment. I realize you probably don’t understand how your ideas that black people don’t try in school and end up on the government dole are offensive. (In fact, this may not be what you intended to say. But, it is in fact what you said.) But I can assure you that in most places across this state, the broad, sweeping generalizations you made about an entire group of people are considered racially offensive.

If you want to talk about culture, talk about culture. Just don’t make a blanket perjorative statement about an entire group of people.

Seriously. I have no problem with you commenting and critiquing the research I post here. It’s what the forum is for (although preferably, you could occasionally include some factual evidence to back up your claims). But we do have a problem with the kind of racially offensive commentary you engaged in with this post.

10. Doug

April 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

Well then…I will let Cosby say essentially the same thing….he’s black so I guess you won’t think it is “racially insensitive” then. But maybe some need to assess their culture or race and try to make a change rather than attacking the person who says something.

For example, I hear a lot of racially pointed comments directed at people who live in rural areas (rednecks, trailer trash and hicks have the same stereotype that can be directed at the afam culture)….rather than obsess about the comments, I and my wife have come out of that through hard work and applying ourselves instead of being obsessed with pop culture and procreation at a young age. There are many even in our own family that are back in that culture and we try our best to motivate them to get out of it.

So, if you write a post on some rural area that is being bypassed by the job market, which if you look at it, it will likely be true that they are bypassed too, then the same things can and will be said regardless of race. The crux of the matter in this market is that the uneducated are getting left behind so you can read whatever you want into whichever race makes up the majority of the uneducated class.

11. Allan Freyer

April 11, 2013 at 10:17 am

Doug, making blanket perjorative statements about an entire racial group of people is racially offensive. It doesn’t matter if you say it, or if Bill Cosby says it, and it doesn’t matter what racial group is being attacked.