An Open Letter to the Glorious NC Senate

Dear NC Senate,

I am writing to thank you for your courageous vote to punish the poor. I think believers from all major world religions would agree that people who can’t get what’s theirs should have millstones tied around their necks until they can. Just like Jesus said. Your vote forcing needy people to pay up front for their own drug testing before they can receive benefits that might allow them to feed their children is both bold and righteous. I know that our state program, Work First, primarily aids children, and I am so glad that you were not swayed by logic or compassion when you decided to add to the delays and bureaucracy that keeps those kids off welfare. And food.

You were brave to stand up to conservatives who would say that smaller government that is both streamlined and stays out of people’s lives is best. Because it is truly better to use government as a cudgel to punish those who would rather not see their children starve. Sure, 68% of our state’s Work First cases last month were child-only cases, but that is no reason not to expand government and possibly violate the US Constitution. People who call the drug testing you have required of Work First applicants “suspicionless” are obviously misguided. Children who are hungry and can’t pay for food are clearly suspicious. And the US Constitution is just standing in the way of our freedom to create a state religion and leave the union over Obamacare. So, really, you are intrepid, and I thank you for it.

Now I have come to a difficult point, but one I must make. Of the less-than-one-third of NC Work First cases that are not child-only, many are single-mother families. This is bad and wrong and such families are deserving of special scorn. Taking up to $100 from that kind of woman is just the sort of gallantry I expect from the inestimable NC Senate. The fact that you will allow her to get it back if she can actually pass her drug test demonstrates more mercy than is perhaps wise, but who am I to question you? I am just a female, and can’t expect to keep up with the 31 benevolent white males who voted for this measure. Lucky for me, I have such role models in the NC Senate! A whopping eight women serve in that august 50-member body! I believe that extra thanks are due to the four (all white, YAY!) female senators who voted for this kind and not at all punitive bill. These women, for such I must inevitably call them, are demonstrating another great truth, that it is OK to have a vagina as long as you are ashamed of it and remember to penalize other vagina-bearers whenever possible. Their wisdom and courage in shaming poor women and children is harder won than that of the men who supported this. Some people believe that women are more compassionate and caring, particularly when it comes to children, but these four ladies really show us that lack of a penis doesn’t have to keep you from spiting the poor and preventing their children from eating.

To the worthy members of the Senate who voted for this with malice aforethought, I offer my heartiest congratulations and thanks. Huzzah!

1. Doug

April 23, 2013 at 11:02 am

Jesus also said give Ceaser what is Ceaser’s. He never promoted the government being the ultimate provider for the poor, only God. I have not studied religions, but I would challenge you to find one that promotes government as the end all be all. Oh, wait there is one. There is Communism/Socialism/Marxism which promotes the government as the center of all provisions for people’s well being. Good luck with that one, let us know if it turns out better when you try it than it has for others…..the Communist religion has killed more people than all other religions combined, even Islam.

2. love my state

April 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

he also said if you see a man without a coat give him yours.

3. RJ

April 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

This site, which I enjoy a lot, needs a better troll than Doug. His comments could be produced by a spambot, albeit one that time-traveled from the 1950′s. I mean, c’mon, red-baiting in 2013? Doug, please step up your game.

4. Gene Bridges

April 23, 2013 at 11:39 am

Doug writes: Jesus also said give Ceaser what is Ceaser’s. Yes, he did, and that was about paying taxes. Jesus also delegated his authority to Apostle’s like Paul, and Paul wrote about people who complain about taxes in Romans 13. He writes to admonish his readers to stop complaining about taxes. (I’d add that even Joseph and Mary paid a tribute to Caesar which was under Jewish law, illegal). He writes all of that in the backdrop of a very high view of God’s providence (Romans has a lot to say about predestination by the way) that basically says that when you complain about your taxes you are complaining to God, because God has, by His own hand, created your soul (Scripture calls Him the creator of our souls) and put you in this time and place under this particular Government, and that includes living at time when we have social safety nets, a social contract, and programs you don’t like. Well, apparently God does like them enough to put you here and now, and He further says that Governments are His own agents insofar as He has delegated His own authority to them. He even wrote that whine and moan about it like you frequently do is to invite God’s personal judgment on you. So, yes, I concede you know little about religions, especially the one your purport to believe.

Doug writes: I have not studied religions, but I would challenge you to find one that promotes government as the end all be all.

The Old Testament, you know, the theocratic kingdom, was, in fact, the Government that was the “end all and be all’ of some things. It did not own the means of production until the Monarchy, which by the way was filtered through an eldership system via tribal elders (something that is frequently forgotten). The Monarchy, by the way, was explicitly endorsed by God and it happens to extend to the present day via the Davidic Covenant, but the difference today is that the covenant community is nonspatial and transtemporal. However, that’s another discussion. What you asked for was an example of a religion that promoted Government as the “end all and be all,” – and that was certainly true in OT Yahwism.

The Bible does not, strictly speaking, endorse the Government owning the means of production except under the Davidic Covenant, and that is because God owned Israel and the King was his unique representative (but, once again, you didn’t ask about that). Nothing about a social safety net in either this Government or a Social Democracy involves that. You choose the target called “Communism,” but only a simpleton doesn’t know the difference between Social Democracy and Communism or would even seek to equate the two. (McCarthyism is alive and well in Doug’s addled brain). There are some wonderful monographs on Jewish taxation here: http://www.michaelsheiser.com/TheNakedBible/Taxation%20in%20biblical%20Israel.pdf

Finally, here’s a quickie for you: God gave Moses numerous commands instructing Israel to care for the poor. The Sabbath guaranteed a day of rest for the slave and alien (Ex. 23:10–12). The Sabbath year canceled debts for Israelites, allowed the poor to glean from the fields, and set slaves free as well as equipping the slaves to be productive (Deut. 15:1–18). The Jubilee year emphasized liberty; it released slaves and returned land to its original owners (Lev. 25:8–55). Other laws about debt, tithing, and gleaning ensured that the poor would be cared for each day of the year (Lev. 25:35–38; Deut. 14:28–29; Lev. 19:9–10). The commands were so extensive that they were designed to achieve the ultimate goal of eradicating poverty among God’s people: “There should be no poor among you,” God declared (Deut. 15:4).

Hmmm, that looks an awful lot like what our social safety net looks like in many respects. The OT prophets also have a whole, whole, whooooole lot to say about income disparities between the rich and poor – the same sort of income disparities that exist today and that pesky stuff like our graduated income tax system is intended to reduce to some level and prevent, except that people on your side of the aisle have forgotten that and are now promoting policies that place under the yoke of God’s judgment on Israel for exacerbating the very same disparities that the OT condemns and treating the poor the very way that the Bible condemns in not one but both testaments.Thanks for citing the Bible today on social justice. You really need to bone up on it. It may do you some good.

5. Cmplxz

April 23, 2013 at 11:56 am

Preach it, Gene! And you even kept the sniping to a low level. I am not over impressed with the letter, though I empathize with the author’s outrage, but Gene’s reply is worth a facebook share. Gene, you got a blog?

6. whoyallfooling

April 23, 2013 at 12:04 pm

How much do it cost to take care of a child in FOSTER CARE? Clothing, food, room & board, schooling. How much would it cost for a child to seek counseling because they were taking from their families. It’s bad enough the school system sends our kids home from school still hungry because 3/4 of the kids don’t eat 3/4 of the meals NEW MENU ITEMS.
    Then y’all still have this NO Child Left BEHIND BS. Y’all passing kids with F’s & D’ s saying that’s ok

7. whoyallfooling

April 23, 2013 at 12:11 pm

So now y’all have uneducated children because of NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND. Y’all worried about people getting Welfare who’s on or who’s not on drugs. IF THEY CAN’T AFFORD TO FEED THEMSELVES OR THEMSELVES & THEY FAMILY WHAT MAKE Y’ALL THINK THEY CAN AFFORD A $100 DRUG TEST

8. whoyallfooling

April 23, 2013 at 12:37 pm

We are trying to BUILD OUR STATE BACK UP & NOT HAVE IT JUST OVER LOOKED BECAUSE OF OUR ECONOMICAL DOWNFALL. Now since yall want to go there what about the medicine that has OPIUM in them that people has to take for pain or whatever the cause may be. Do they get turned down to or they get a PASS? WELFARE only gives out $242 worth of WORKFIRST MONEY. Let’s break that down, you have RENT, LIGHTS, WATER, GAS(HEAT), now all this comes out of $242 a month. Y’all can’t take care of y’all families off this $242 a month what makes yall think “POOR PEOPLE” (middle class- blacks&hispanics, whites&others) can do the same thing? Y’all would rather tare yall people down than build us up. So it says y’all would take drug tests to…FACT: cocaine stays in a persons body for 3 DAYS. If not taken by blood or hair how do yall know our SENATE is abiding by the laws. LET YE WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE. I honestly believe y’all can’t do that so please stop throwing STONES at us middle class society

9. Doug

April 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Gene,
    That is all and good. But you only serve to make my point. It is up to individuals, churches, charities etc to perform the social duties, not the governement. Unless you are advocating to have them be the same? That would be quite a revelation on this site.

Fact is, your treastise supports more that God and his churches as well as other entities are more charged with this nebulous “saftey net” that you so love. The government needs not be in the cradle to grave nurturing that we have now unless we want to admit we are going to the Marxist/Communist way. I appreciate you making my point here, it is refreshing that there may be some people who understand the place that government should be out of. .

10. Doug

April 23, 2013 at 4:06 pm

One more point Gene,
    When you typed that teastise you may not have gone far enough in the new testament. When those governments became corrupt, society too morally off, and too secular then God took care of them. Look at the stories of the kings, the Babylon years etc. I really hope God takes a different tact now since those societies that relied on all that government had hard times. With how Barry and the dems have run things we may be in a load of hurt.

11. Frances Jenkins

April 23, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Oh Gene, where is thou love for sinners? It is just hate for the lesser on your part.

12. Rev. Carl Johnson

April 23, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I wonder where the haters in the GOP/NCGA got these distorted beliefs to punish the poor, the hungry, the downtrodden, the children. I don’t recall ever seeing a more hateful agenda with legislators and supporters so unconcerned with voices of the majority of the citizens who stand against those tactics and agenda.

I find myself trying to find the good. I can not! As a faith leader, I condemn their behavior and their agenda. I’m fairly sure that their Judgement Day will not be as they believe it will be. And before they seek forgiveness for their sins from God, they must first repair the harm and seek forgiveness from those they hurt. Only then, have they any hope of approaching God.

13. Doug

April 24, 2013 at 10:36 am

Rev…it is not to punish but to have the right entity do the “nurturing”. Government handouts and reliance is in effect slavery and God would not want us in slavery and worshiping at the idol of government. You can deny that is the case, but as I see it government has replaced God in the US as far as who is worshiped and relied on for all needs. How often do you hear people referencing “have the government do it” rather than relying on their own strengh, morals, and values to gude them to help the poor and downtrodden. I know I for one help support the food bank in my community. I have heard their needs at church and personally gone to pick up food for them to help. This is how it should work.

14. Kathy B

April 24, 2013 at 11:07 am

Doug I can see you continue to blather on about the church. This is a lovely concept but not workable in any real way. A food pantry is helpful but not enough to feed a family. Prayer may feed the soul but it doesn’t put food on the table for the kids.

15. Doug

April 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Only because not enough people participate, and you notice in other posts I note charities and other organizations. Although churches make up the majority of local based giving. The reason it does not work is that morals in this country are such that they worship the god of government to provide for them. If more people had a sense of helping their neighbors it would do more good than the governement.

Oh, and from media reports on welfare it is evidently not enough to feed a family on either. So you are in the same pickle either way other than being a slave to the government.

16. RJ

April 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm

So, Doug, does your church make folks pay for and take a drug test when they come in and say they’re hungry? Do you do a background check to make sure that they’re not also worshiping the false “god of government” by accepting the EITC?

And I know, Doug, you’ll get the last word on this thread and every other one you participate in, so enjoy your feeling of superiority over us “leftists” and “communists” and go brag on Red State or somewhere about it. Although I’d prefer you go upstairs to bed so that the grownups could talk about important things.

17. Doug

April 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Nope, but if we wanted to do it as a condition we would be in our rights to do so.

If I have to continue answering questions or rebutting stupid premises then I guess I will have the last word until the thread dies out, or I become tired of addressing the same closed minds. Your choice to answer me or not.