Micromanagement: State employee wrestles with three page DHHS email signature policy

Earlier this week I noted McCrory’s Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Aldona Wos had issued an email signature policy for employees that was longer than the bill put together touting the Governor’s plan privatizing health care for the poor.  I got a great comment I wanted to share from a state employee, S, who is wrestling with implementation (of the signature policy, not selling off our public health care system):

This email signature policy is the dumbest thing I have seen in quite awhile!!

As a state employee with antiquated Windows programs (I still use Word 2003) it has taken up a good hour of my time today, and assistance from two coworkers, to try and get 11 pt font in black color for the signature on the emails I reply to – and we did NOT succeed! So now it is on to IT guy to get it fixed! What a brilliant use of public resources, right?

1. Doug

April 24, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Well, when you consider the recent report on how poorly run the state IT department is after decades of democrat rule. This is not surprising.

2. Jeremy S.

April 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I wonder who pays Doug to troll the Policywatch blog… Civitas? Art Pope himself?

This email signature policy is some stupid, stupid stuff. Total waste of public resources.

3. RJ

April 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I think Doug is a spambot programmed to reply with talking points from The New American and Red State. Sophisticated enough to pass the Turing test, but barely.

4. Doug

April 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm

No, I do this pro bono, but I get so much in return through the interactions here. Although my circuits do sometimes overload because so much….does…..not….compute so they have to insert the alternate reality transition chip into my spambot processor.

5. david esmay

April 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Doug’s statement’s are fine examples of the GOP’s willful ignorance in regards to salient facts of governing, economics, geology, radiometric dating, and evolutionary biology and hope to be a full participant in society. That GOPers can’t manage manage this is indeed indicative of some oddity in the Republican brain that turns them into elementary beings on subject after subject, offering simplistic answers, incapable of harboring doubt about complex issues, and unable to see the absurd extremes to which this black and white attitude pushes them.
    Wingnuts and Baggers tout small government- except when it comes to restricting the rights of others, or handing vast sums of tax payer money to subsidize corporations, and consider anything the government does for them to be social progress, and anything it does for others as socialism.

6. Doug

April 25, 2013 at 11:34 am

dave,
    you need to put the tin foil hat back on dude.

7. S

April 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Doug – so far, the IT guy is NOT involved…. because he is so busy with more pressing issues than email signatures that are 11 pt type not 12 pt type and that are in BLACK not BLUE.

So, blaming this situation on the IT department does not compute. You might as well blame the problems we are having on the weather today.

As Jeremy said, this email signature policy is some stupid, stupid stuff.

8. S

April 25, 2013 at 10:17 pm

oh, and the IT department is not responsible for the fact that we are still using Microsoft Office Word 2003. They have been asking to upgrade for a few years now…. I guess you could blame that on the Democrats, except now it is the Republicans who are not approving funding to upgrade (and frankly, I am fine with continuing with Word 2003 except when they send me a “.docx” file and I cannot open it!)