Raleigh an “orgy of meanness”?

The Asheville Citizen-Times had an opinion piece today about the actions this year by the N.C. General Assembly and Republican Gov. Pat McCrory. The author, who makes no bones about his disappointment in the two, is Martin Dyckman, a Waynesville resident and former editor at Florida’s St. Petersburg Times.

From Dyckman’s piece:

I covered politics throughout a long career in journalism without ever seeing a legislative session as overwhelmingly radical as that of the current General Assembly.

It’s an orgy of meanness, prejudice, nastiness, cruelty, shortsightedness, selfishness, spite, arrogance and conscious brutality. Three examples, among many, are the cynical forfeiture of extended unemployment insurance, expansion of Medicaid and repeal of the earned income tax credit. Now, they’re hatching a tax scheme that will increase the burdens of the poor and middle class, give a windfall to the wealthy and impose more destructive cuts on the schools and colleges.

The pretext for all that is to make North Carolina more attractive for investment. That is, to put it politely, enough fertilizer to enrich the soil of a thousand farms. Business goes where it can find a skilled workforce and good transportation; tax rates are far down the list. The real object, one suspects, is simply to make North Carolina a trophy for wealthy freeloaders and right-wing ideologues, to serve as an example to be applied wherever else the Democratic Party is disorganized or complacent. Raising money to run for the U.S. Senate has something to do with it, too.

You can read Dyckman’s entire editorial here.

1. david esmay

June 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

Brilliant analogy.

2. Frances Jenkins

June 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Come on Sarah, investigate the Rural Center and Billy Ray Hall. It appears he would make some of your other stories look like Sunday school stories.

3. Doug

June 20, 2013 at 11:02 am

Frances,
    Sarah is not really an investigative journalist as thought of in the traditional sense. She is not tasked with investigating just any government corruption or in this case a situation of meanness. She is only tasked with what Fitzsimon deems as corruption….which is only corruption by people with R by their name. My guess is when some R gets caught in with the Rural Center Sarah will then be on this blog multiple times daily “covering” the situation while ignoring decades of corruption by her chosen good ole’ boy network. It is only a problem when “they” do it not when “we” do it.

And by the way…I have seen a couple of conservative blogs on top of some R’s in association with the Rural Center. Funny how we can call out our own isn’t it?

4. Sarah Ovaska

June 20, 2013 at 11:53 am

Doug and Frances,

All of my articles are there for you to read, or dismiss, if you wish. This post was simply pointing out an opinion piece out of Asheville that was getting a lot of attention out there. I do not target people based on R’s and D’s, but look at state agencies and tend to take closer looks to see how public resources are being used (or misused). A recent investigation on a Winston-Salem charter school found that DPI (which is headed by a Dem) fell down on the job in their oversight of the school. I’ve written about the Rural Center before, though I’ve found Andy Curliss’ recent work over at the N&O to be much more thorough and exhaustive then anything I dug up in my smaller piece last year. the series in the N&O has been quite good, and I made sure to direct our readers to it.

The name-calling is getting a bit tiresome. I’ve extended offers multiple times to check out any tips you have, but I have never heard anything from either of you. Once again, my email is sarah@ncpolicywatch.com and I’d be more than happy to consider any specific tips you have .

5. Doug

June 21, 2013 at 9:52 am

Sarah,
    I would like to see the piece you did on Rural Center then. You have the link? My issue is that you fall in with the rest of this site in that it is ignored if a D is the offender. For example, I saw nothing on the comments the head of the state democrat party has said, I also have not seen any links to the Rural Center mess even though it is currently I guess a R problem, but it stems from the good ole’ boy politics of old.

I also do not see where we called a name up there…but I do agree in that certain commenters continually do call names vs. contribute an actual fact based retort (looking at you esmay). I have gotten to where I scroll past the typical offenders post (esmay). If you disagree with my position that is fine…but you may want to consider if there is some merit too. The reason journalism and newspapers are dying in the USA today is due to the fact that many stories have the “spin” put on them. I do know what I am getting at this site of course, but I do want to call out these, for the lack of a better term, political corruption stories because neither D or R have a monopoly on corruption. I would hope that this site would detest the corruption of their own side as much or more so than the other side’s….and I do not see that is the case. Heck, even Civitas and Haymaker brings out R corruption on a regular basis.

6. Frances Jenkins

June 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Sarah has not, will not investigate corrupt Democrats in NC.

7. Doug

June 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I know, but it is good to try to clue her in. I also think it is quite rich how she blasts name calling when I have to put up with esmay calling me something cute like Republiturd or RJ in essence calling me a child. The funny part is they rarely express a logical or adult like response to any comment I put out there. At least Sarah refrained from that.