What other states are doing who accepted federal $ to implement Obamacare

When Governor McCrory and the NC General Assembly rejected federal money under the Affordable Care Act to expand Medicaid to 500,000 lower-income North Carolinians, they also sent back a $74 million grant NC had already received to help advertise and enroll more moderate-income people in the new NC Health Exchange.  This is where people buying insurance on their own who don’t qualify for Medicaid will get tax credits to buy affordable health plans.  In states like Oregon where they accepted federal money to expand Medicaid and get the word out about affordable coverage advertising is already starting:

YouTube Preview Image

One final thought:  States like Oregon are thanking states like NC profusely.  NC citizens are now sending their federal tax dollars that used to be marked for making insurance affordable in NC to Oregon and other states now moving forward with the Affordable Care Act.

1. Nessie Siler

July 9, 2013 at 4:23 pm

So, a question. If NC refused the State Health Exchange, does that mean that a Federal one will take over where NC wouldn’t? Or are we stuck?

2. George Greene

July 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Yes, there will be a federal exchange. But the people who were going to use Medicaid instead, while we are not “stuck”, will be paying more than we otherwise would have. To me (I am one of those people), *I* feel stuck! Actually I’m double-stuck because my employer would’ve had to provide coverage (since I work more than 30 hrs/wk, I am not poor enough to qualify for normal Medicaid, but since I have such
    a crappy low-wage job, I *would’ve* been poor enough to qualify under the expansion), but since Obama himself is delaying that mandate on employers, I have to pay the exchange out of my subsistence job.
    Some employers (including mine, had the mandate not been delayed) are reacting to the mandate/penalty NOT by providing the required insurance, but by cutting their employees to 29 hours.
    That is going to result in a group of people (don’t tell me how small it is, since *I’M IN* it) basically needing to get a SECOND part-time job to buy their insurance on the exchange.

3. George Greene

July 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm

&another thing: doing these things video-only is kind of silly.
    Text is better. It’s easier to search and copy. It’s easier to scan for relevance.
    At least you could provide a SUMMARY. :-(

4. Doug

July 9, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Be sure to follow up when this scheme blows up in their faces too. That will be a fun post to read! Told you so will be the main comment of the day!

5. Frances Jenkins

July 10, 2013 at 7:59 am

Why were parts of the Affordable Care Act for business being kicked down the road? Enough state are not participating so the finances are not working out for the feds. It is not working, you are not telling the entire story. Just more Bluepoint/ Blueprint misinformation and this organization should lose its nonprofit status.

6. david esmay

July 10, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Really “Frances”? If that’s the case why have Arizona and Ohio opted in?