McCrory claims to have attended Moral Monday events

Pat McCrory 4Say what?!

Yesterday I had a conversation with Wilson Times reporter Janet Conner-Knox who read me a quote from Gov. McCrory that I simply could not believe I heard. This morning she reported it in this story. Here’s the excerpt:

“MORAL MONDAYS

McCrory said he has come out to hear what protesters are not happy about on the Moral Monday protests.

‘I go out in the crowd all of the time,’ McCrory said. ‘Frankly, yesterday I went out and talked to several of them and they were not very respectful. They did not represent the majority of those who call themselves moral by cussing me out. But that’s the way things go some times.’”

Got that? According to the Governor, he has been a regular attendee at Moral Mondays.

Now, by “crowd” he could also mean something more generic I guess. But frankly, it strains credulity to think the Guv has attended multiple Moral Mondays without anyone (like the news media) noticing. The comment he made to Conner-Knox is especially strange given that he uttered it on Wednesday and the only event he could have attended on Tuesday (the “yesterday” he referred to) was a pro-choice event at which he would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

Frankly, it’s hard to know what to make of such a strange statement. Is the Governor simply confused? Is this something like Ronald Reagan’s infamous comment in which he mixed up his participation in a movie with the actual liberation of a WWII concentration camp? Judging by the blatant distortion/fib he told Conner-Knox about the demise of emergecy unemployment benefits earlier in the story, anything is possible.

As I told Conner-Knox, however, if the Guv is serious about all of this, there’s a simple way for him “go out in the crowd” in a meaningful and productive way:

If he really wants to interact with this growing movement and its many legitimate concerns, he should come up to the podium and speak. Better yet, he should sit down and engage with its leaders in real and meaningful dialogue and condemn conservative groups – one funded by his budget director – that have printed scurrilous attacks accusing the Moral Monday leaders of corruption and theft.

Anyway, stay tuned for more details, but don’t get your hopes up.

1. david esmay

July 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

“I go out into the crowd all of the time, and by that I mean I stare at the crowd from the safety of a third floor window guarded by security.”

2. Doug

July 11, 2013 at 10:38 am

If he actaully pays attention to the crowd then he is even worse than I feared. He is already pretty much a RHINO in many respects so it would be one more nail in the coffin if he is doing more than tangentally hearing the sounds of the “crowd” by accident.

3. love my state

July 11, 2013 at 11:21 am

liar, liar, pants on fire!

4. George Peterson

July 11, 2013 at 11:23 am

Doug, he’s a “RHINO” ? RINO is “Republican In Name Only,” but I’m not sure what the “H” stands for.

I like your idea that a governor should ignore his citizens, though. It gives an interesting insight into the mind of a conservative.

5. HighTechRedNeck

July 11, 2013 at 12:12 pm

I’ve been to a couple of the Moral Monday gatherings, and I’ve never seen the Governor there. After reading this article, I spoke to several people who have been at ever MM, and none of them could recall seeing the Governor, either. I’d like to know what he means by “crowd”, and I’d like to know who cussed him out.

6. Bendal

July 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I bet what McCrory really meant was “I stood on the corner of Jones Street outside my mansion and listened to the chanting on Moral Monday.” Considering he’s already called the protesters “illegal” and that the legislature shouldn’t pay attention to them at all, I’d say he is fabricating his claim of going into the crowd.

7. ML

July 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Clearly our governor is either a liar or an idiot…probably both but there isn’t a third option.

8. Cheryl

July 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm

My mom always said never trust anyone without an upper lip. If he truly went to the protest the media would have seen him, or a crowd would have gathered around him. He seriously needs to stop lying. I’m sure if he wanted to go to the meeting they would let him speak. Now that would be intresting.

9. NCCaniac42

July 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’d say to Gov. McCrory – prove it. I want to see the photographic evidence you have been ‘in the crowd’. And if you felt that the Moral Monday Crowd was disrespectful.. well.. you have to actually EARN respect and from what I have seen (or not seen since you seem to be invisible) you haven’t earned it. Or the respect you have ‘earned’ is from your BFF Art Pope.

10. Dr. B

July 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Considering MOST of the protestors are people of faith, I find it extremely hard to believe anyone “cussed him out.” It would not have failed to create a spectacle if he were actually present!

11. Doug

July 12, 2013 at 10:24 am

I think Bendal has what happened…..maybe he heard something from the governor mansion…