Uncategorized

Some good news this Friday for one unemployed woman

Many of you had read last week about Yvette Jocelyn and her son Antonio, a Cary mother and son we profiled in an article we ran about the long-term unemployed.

Jocelyn had been one of the long-term unemployed who had her benefits cut off when the state moved to a new unemployment system July 1. The changes, which cuts the length of time and amount that unemployed workers receive, also made North Carolina ineligible for federal benefits for 70,000-plus long-term unemployed workers.

Yvette Jocelyn and her son, Antonio

A single mother, Jocelyn and her son Antonio were facing the possibility of becoming homeless.

Here’s the good news – she was offered a full-time job yesterday in her field, doing home visits with the mentally ill in the community.

The job offer came on the same day Yvette was trying to figure out how to pay the August rent for her Cary home, cover utility bills and buy food with only a few hundred dollars to her name.

Her new job will begin mid-month, and she’s hoping to find ways to help tide her over until then.

“I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders,” Jocelyn said. She was able to sleep last night for the first time in months without walking up from stress and panic.

She said that she had been looking for a job just as hard before her benefits ran out, but being without the benefits pushed her into an area of despair she hadn’t felt before.

“It felt like there was nothing I could do, you can’t make someone hire you,” Jocelyn said. “If they (the legislature) had not passed the bill and they would have continued the benefits, it would have given me padding and a little hope.”

Congrats to Yvettte and Antonio, and best of luck to them in the future.

We still want to hear from those affected by the July 1 cut-off of unemployment benefits. If you are willing to share your story, please contact reporter Sarah Ovaska at sarah@ncpolicywatch.com or(919) 861-1463.

Check Also

UNC Board of Governors face protest, chooses new board chair and interim president

It was a busy day at the final ...

Top Stories from NCPW

  • News
  • Commentary

North Carolina election employees could soon be facing stricter scrutiny. House members rolled out a [...]

In one of the largest campaign donation forfeitures in state history, 48 improper donations from the [...]

Friends, neighbors, colleagues of commission chairman Jim Womack submit nearly identical letters cla [...]

When N.C. House Speaker Tim Moore and Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger addressed reporters last [...]

In the aftermath of the recent successful push to ward off huge cuts to food assistance programs in [...]

There are a lot of important statistics that confirm just how out of whack the U.S. economy has grow [...]

The post Bite the Apple & NC’s HB2 Legacy appeared first on NC Policy Watch. [...]

When I headed off to college, I could not have predicted that many of the funding streams, positions [...]

Now hiring

NC Policy Watch is now hiring a Managing Editor – click here for more info.