Another day, another national media takedown for NC

As I noted in Wednesday in the Weekly Briefing, North Carolina has been the butt of more national media takedowns of late than Anthony Weiner. Today’s skewering is authored by Dean Obeidallah of the Washington Bureau of the Daily Beast and it’s entitled: “North Carolina, Your Anti-Sharia Law Takes the Cake.” It’s definitely worth your time. Here’s a highlight:

“Why would Republicans in North Carolina feel the need to prevent a threat they admit isn’t real?  Even the North Carolina Bar Association called the legislation unnecessary.

Maybe looking at the legislative history of this proposed bill will give you some insight. The Republican-controlled House’s version also included provisions to restrict a women’s right to an abortion. So in the very same breath these Republicans were trying to prevent Islamic law from being imposed, they were trying to impose Christian law.

No surprise, then, that they fear Muslims will be trying to impose their own religious-based laws—it’s exactly what these Republicans are trying to do.”

Read Obeidallah’s entire post by clicking here.

1. Doug

August 9, 2013 at 8:28 am

Considering the sources of the “takedowns” it is actually a high compliment to NC that we are making changes we can believe in. When the state controlled media is this upset you know we are going in the right direction.

2. gregflynn

August 9, 2013 at 9:07 am

“state controlled media”? No state controls Tina Brown, least of all NC.

3. Susan Moses

August 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

Changes we can believe in? Only if you’re of the rare breed that reads The Handmaid’s Tale to their children as a bedtime story.

4. Doug

August 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

greggy,
    The government controls most of the liberal media outlets with the “carrot” of access as well as the overall political bent of most “reporters” being liberal/progressive. When you all sit around and agree to agree it is in essence a state controlled media. Regardless what you propose, there is a major control factor in her and all the usual (ABCCBSNBCCNNMSNBC etc.) media’s reporting since to get the story you have to go along with the rules.

5. Doug

August 9, 2013 at 10:48 am

Susan,
    Changes to get the state’s fiscal house in order have a huge majority of support here in NC. You can keep hiding under your rock with the fairy tales and rainbows but that is a fact now in NC.

6. Alan

August 9, 2013 at 11:15 am

Doug,

Can you cite your source, data or statistics that support your comment “Changes to get the state’s fiscal house in order have a huge majority of support here in NC”???

7. ML

August 9, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Doug attacks the source without addressing the blatant contradictions pointed out by the author. Or most likely didn’t read the piece and rubber stamped his normal talking points.

8. Jacob J Jacobs

August 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Alan,
    I can site Doug’s source and data for you: FAUX News 24/7.

9. Jim Wiseman

August 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

…Then we know we’re doing something right.

10. Alan

August 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Appears Doug is just another troll (Civitas anyone?)…all talk and no substance, let alone data or facts. I must confess, the “state controlled media” did give me a laugh, at Dougs expense.

11. Doug

August 9, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Alan,
    How about you look at the sea change that has happened in the NCGA and Governor post. All that happened before…yes before liberal/progresso accusations of gerrymandering and voter ID “discrimination” could be made. The proof is in the results so that is all the “data” you need.

As an aside, I find it funny that you guys demand data and hard facts all the time from the conservative side, but there is never any hard data coming from the liberal/progresso pipeline. All that is ever put out on this site are hysterical chicken little theories and liberal massaged “studies” funded by their own “think tanks”. The whole: circular data production by our pals…send to our “journalist” pals….raise hysteria on data we created with no real vetting……that whole thing fascinates me. And you guys don’t even go to other outlets to see if there could be truth elsewhere to compare it to..quite the lemming approach.

12. Doug

August 9, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Alan, saw your last comment now. Laugh if you will, but I too laugh as you have never thought to question the media and their motives….just as long as they are saying what you want them to say. I for one have gone on my, for lack of a better term, liberal journey in the past. I have however seen the light myself (and experienced the ill effects) how liberalism/progressivism enslaves people and actually makes thier lives worse off. I have also seen how the state controlled media has come to be an arm of the progressive movement in waaay too many cases for it to be just a one off situation. One of the first things a progressive/socialist/facist organization does in infiltrate the media outlets, just think on that when you get the news each day.

13. Alan

August 10, 2013 at 10:38 am

Doug,

Your comments are hysterical. The sea change you state is simply a fact of voter turnout, well known fact that Democrats aren’t all that engaged in mid-term elections, so I blame those who chose not to vote for what we now have in NC. The vast majority of Republicans I know here in NC are pretty much horrified by what they see happening here, the GOP is implementing stuff that was never part of their campaign strategy, and certainly not what many Republican and independent voters voted for. A classic bait & switch.

You either have data that supports your assertion or you don’t, a mid-term win isn’t indicative of the sea-change you mention. So, when next election comes around and the GOP gets clobbered in NC, will you state that as a sea-change also?

Also, your paranoia about “state controlled media” is laughable, these types of comments put you firmly in the ‘tin-foil hat’ category. Next you’ll be telling us President Obama isn’t a US citizen and can’t possibly be legitimate. What about Benghazi, was that a pinko/commie/socialist/liberal/fascist cover-up, assisted by the lame-stream media? Do you question Fox News in the same manner, or are they the only true patriotic ‘trusted outlet’?

And please, “progressive/socialist/facist organization”, really? I can use the terms progressive, socialist and fascist and actually know they are different things.
    At this point, you’re probably wondering why I can’t take your comments seriously…

14. Doug

August 10, 2013 at 11:42 am

Alan,
    Once again you verify my comments in your hysteria. OF Course it is voter turnout….the sea of voters coming to change the direction of NC..enough said.

I am far from paranoid. My suspicions are well documented by many studies of the media out there. Just google leftist media or some such term and you can see for yourself. I also have personal experience in that a huge percentage of stories out there are from the leftist view with no other view presented. Maybe you should ask yourself “why do I agree with everything in the media” as a check on your naivete…..

What is the difference of progressive/socialist/communist….maybe you should do your research and compare the methods of how each attempts to gain power….you would be surprised.

Now….since you are so ill informed and unable to intellectually grasp these concepts….I am now done with you on this. I have laid way too much smack down on you to continue to waste on one person’s ignorance.

15. RJ

August 10, 2013 at 2:18 pm

16. Alan

August 10, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Doug,

I am deeply humbled to have so much “smack down” laid on me by such an intellectual giant such as yourself.

Please, if you’re going to make comment, then back it up with something other than your opinion. You look foolish when you post an opinion then are clearly unable to back it up with anything, other than more opinion.

Like I said, pure ‘tin foil hat’ material.

I look forward to your future intellectual and insightful commentary, hopefully with some data behind it.