Governor courts controversy again

In case you missed it, The N&O’s Rob Christensen reports that Gov. McCrory has selected controversial former marine and two-time congressional candidate Ilario Pantano as assistant secretary for the State Division of Veterans Affairs.

As Christensen also reports, Pantano is not your typical state government appointee:

“Pantano is a businessman, author and former Marine who first came to national attention when he was accused by the Marines of murder after shooting two unarmed Iraqis held in captivity during the Iraq War in 2004. An article 32 hearing found no credible evidence or testimony for the accusation and the Marines declined to prosecute Pantano, dropping all charges.”

His autobiography: Warlord: No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy reflects the words on a sign that he placed above the corpses of the two men he killed – “No better friend, No worse enemy.” You can read more about Pantano (who also, rather remarkably, worked for Goldman Sachs at one time) in this lengthy profile written in New York Magazine at the time of the murder investigation.

1. Rev. Carl Johnson

August 29, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Another has been Tea bagger who couldn’t get elected and now is dependent on the McCrory teat (at our expense) for a job.

2. Alan

August 29, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Rev,

Yet another Republican depending on the state for handouts? I’m shocked….

3. Gene Hoglan

August 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Guess this means that pathetic war criminal won’t make a third failed run against Mike McIntyre next year.

4. James Protzman

August 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’m sorry. This is just crazy. I wonder if McCrory may actually be spinning into some kind of psychotic break. Pantano seems to me to be a dangerous person, representing the worst of military service.

5. Eden Belle

August 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Pantano will do a great job advocating for our veterans, they are so fortunate to have him. He will represent our protectors of freedom well.

6. wncgirl

August 30, 2013 at 8:09 am

Another failure finds his place with McCrory. We have far more qualified and honorable vets who would do a better job. McCrory is taking cronyism to another level.

7. Gene Hoglan

August 30, 2013 at 1:42 pm

wncgirl: It’s more about getting him out of the way so a candidate of Art Pope’s choosing can go up against McIntyre.

8. Frances Jenkins

August 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

You weak pieces of human beings, you have never fought the fight and there by the Grace of God go I.

9. Frances Jenkins

August 30, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I am putting my pennies back just in case there is a small snow ball chance that old James Protzman would run for governor. That would be my highlight. I would love to display all the crap he has said about people. He is not even a piece of work. He would never hear the gunfire and the Democrats know it. They are running like chickens from him. Right James??

10. gregflynn

August 30, 2013 at 7:51 pm

“My professional life began as a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy. After graduation in 1972, I became a Navy officer and was eventually assigned to duty at Camp Lejeune. During that tour, I worked with the Army and Air Force units, completing more than twenty airborne operations.” – James Protzman

11. Skeptic

August 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Good lord, McCrory is stupid. Does he literally not know what he’s doing?

12. Frances Jenkins

August 31, 2013 at 9:12 am

Are you endorsing James?

13. Alan

August 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Frances,

Not that I’m counting, but you’ve mentioned god twice…tin-foil hat material, again…

14. david esmay

September 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

Frances Jenkins: ” Raymond Shaw, I mean Ilario Pantano is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.”