Guilford County Schools lose 37 teaching positions
Angela Henry, CFO for Guilford County Schools (GCS), sent NC Policy Watch a full accounting of all of the cuts GCS has had to make as a result of state budget reductions and the accumulation of reductions in state funding over the last several years:
- Increased class size by .25 = a reduction of 37 teaching positions;
- Eliminated $5.1 million in funding schools use for tutoring /instructional supplies/professional development/summer programs;
- Eliminated mentor pay for teachers serving as mentors of first year teachers;
- Eliminated seven middle school literacy facilitator positions; and
- Reduced days of employment for teacher assistants and other paraprofessionals by 2.5 days.
Fortunately, GCS was able to place all impacted employees into vacant positions, so layoffs were not required.
Check out our growing list of school districts that have been forced to make difficult cuts for the 2013-14 school year.