TV documentary on North Carolina’s unemployment cliff

WRAL aired this documentary last night on the state’s new unemployment insurance, focusing on the estimated 170,000 longterm unemployed who were rendered ineligible for federal unemployment help when the N.C. General Assembly adopted changes for the state’s unemployment system.

North Carolina, which has the third highest unemployment in the state, was the only state to reject the federal funds as it sought an expedited way to repay $2.5 billion borrowed by the unemployment system in the height of the recession. Businesses saw a modest increase in what they pay into the system, while the length of time and amount of benefits were significantly reduced for those who find themselves suddenly without jobs.

Veteran WRAL anchor Bill Leslie talked with people whose benefits had been cut off, to see how they’ve fared.

You can watch the video here, or below.

1. Susan

September 13, 2013 at 11:28 am

That was very well done. I recommend watching it.

2. Alan

September 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’m tired of hearing lazy useless deadbeats complaining about not getting their “government checks”. Maybe if they got up off the couch and looked for a job, rather than relying on government handouts, we wouldn’t be in the state we’re in. I’ll happily give one of those deadbeats in the WRAL propaganda “documentary” a job, my grass needs cut and I don’t want to get up off the couch to go cut it.

3. wncgirl

September 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I looked intothe eyes of one of those lazy, useless deadbeats in a grocery store line the other day and all I saw was sorrow, anxiety and hopelessness. Alan and his ilk of CINOs will happily boot-lick and worship a CEO who runs a business into the ground causing massive unemployment while packing their own golden parachute -which us lazy, useless deadbeat 99% provide with our overly taxed meager incomes. I would like to cut more than Alan’s grass if you know what I mean. I am tired of selfish greed, disdain and self-entitled a-holes ruining my country. The baggers should be tried for treason or at the very least deported. And I have noticed the rock star baggers have very shallow roots in this country… from Romney and his Mexican heritage (yes polygamous deadbeat grandparents count against the right ) or Santorum who is barely an American by his own definition. I am a DAR and my ancestors have fought in every war or conflict in our history. I think I should have more say than a family of border running, non-serving, pseudo patriots like ol mittens, but then again I recognize that diversity makes us a great nation… while the Conservative agenda is clearly about whining and screwing over others…. yeah give me a true patriot over a hundred baggers and we might get out of this mess with an intact country. You might wonder why the tea bags get singled out … well in my county our local freedom works leader and his spose are both living it up on disability while denying kids basic necessities… and they are the norm for this group of mouth-breathing troglodytes….

4. Alan

September 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Dear wncgirl,

I think you may have (understandably) misinterpreted my post as a serious comment, it was not. It was loaded with sarcasm from start to finish, and I thought the end of the last sentence would have been a clue :-).

PS. I agree with your post 100%.

5. keith aiken

September 14, 2013 at 10:40 am

The cuts have hurt alot of people. That’s what happens when you don’t vote.

6. Frances Jenkins

September 15, 2013 at 9:06 am

WNCGirl misunderstands lots of things.

7. Alan

September 15, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Methinks it is Frances who misunderstands a LOT of things…

8. Frances Jenkins

September 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I understand what a race between James and Roy would do for the Democrat Party.

9. Alan

September 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Frances,

Yet another unrelated comment, what exactly is it you are trying to convey?

10. Alex

September 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

The Dunning-Krueger symptoms are beginning to show again. It seems to be recurring more often !