(Editorial) NC Insurance Commissioner: Governor, legislature tried to weaken Affordable Care Act

From the full editorial at the  Greensboro News and Record:

North Carolina residents face fewer choices and significantly higher prices than the national average. Goodwin traces the reason for that to the bill enacted in February and signed by Gov. Pat McCrory in March.

The decision to refuse federally funded Medicaid expansion left “500,000 North Carolina residents, by my calculation,” without that option for health care coverage, Goodwin said. It created a large pool of potentially expensive-to-cover consumers.

Goodwin also said his department could have worked to recruit insurance carriers to offer residents the widest possible menu of options, increasing competition and potentially dropping costs. But, because of the dictates of the legislature, his staff isn’t even permitted to answer questions posed by residents who call his office. Callers have to be referred instead to federal offices.

1. Single Payer Action

October 2, 2013 at 6:30 pm

2. david esmay

October 2, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Another example of the catastrophic stupidity and the sadistic nature of Republican ideology.

3. Kathy

October 3, 2013 at 8:20 am

Yet another reason to leave North Carolina. They’re piling up.

4. Cheryl

October 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm

We have to take our state back from the idiots.

5. wncgirl

October 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I’m with you Cheryl… most of these clowns moved here, saw progress and decided to stop it…

6. LayintheSmakDown

October 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm

First – 500,000 is grossly over stated. That has been disproven many times over the past 10 months.

Second – The Feds should have been working harder to get some choice for their constituents more choices. Just one more case of the Fed’s unfunded mandate mentality. Kay and her buddies should have stepped up to get their law running smoothly.

We will look wise when time reveals all the destructive and dismantling aspects of this poorly thought out law. At least we will not be left holding the bag on Medicaid we can’t afford (and we can’t even afford the program we have now).

7. Alan

October 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm

LSD,

500k, disproven by who exactly?

“We can’t even afford the program we have now”, why not? Perhaps we should just shift the funds we have in all of those “slush funds” you keep ranting about?

2014 can’t come quick enough…

8. Starms

October 3, 2013 at 10:59 pm

One thing that really rubs me the wrong way about these debates and discussions on the ACA is that it’s often framed that if you don’t have a subsidized option (whether through work, subsidized rates, or medicaid), that you don’t have insurance.

For those without preexisting conditions, the option is still there. I’ve been paying out of pocket for 5 years, unable to even afford the copays to go because I spend my last dime on it every month.

Now my premium is going to more than double for ‘comparable’ coverage. Really, there is no comparable coverage because the closest plan to what I had would have to actually cover maternity. I had not purchased the separate maternity rider because I can’t afford it.

But because I make 0$ a year and live off a very modest savings (less than 10k for the past few years), I can’t get any subsidies. And medicaid wasn’t expanded.

I wonder what the figures really are when you don’t look at uninsured NC residents, but those who will lose coverage by being priced out of private individual policies without receiving a penny of govt aid.