Kannapolis City Schools reports that they had to eliminate 20 positions for 2013-14 thanks to reductions in state spending on education.
Ellen Boyd, KCS’ director for community relations, reported the following cuts to NC Policy Watch:
- We eliminated 20 positions due to cuts in state funding. The positions are specified below. Only one person lost a job due to the reductions. We absorbed the other cuts through attrition and transferring personnel among our schools. However, as you can see, the cuts are significant and affect the school and classroom levels.
- 7 regular classroom teacher positions
- 5 EC teaching positions
- 1 ESL teaching position
- 2 Literacy Coach positions
- 1 Math Coach position
- 1 Spanish teacher position
- 2 Teacher Assistant positions
- 1 Health & Wellness Coordinator position
- We cut $244,815 from our supply budget (72% of the supply budget)
- We closed our Alternative Program location to save $125,000. Our alternative program is now operating inside of our high school instead of having its own separate site.
Click here to see our growing list  of school districts that have been forced to make difficult cuts for the 2013-14 school year thanks to reductions in state-level education spending.