Crocodile tears

Pat McCrory 4Art popeAldona WosMore “you can’t make this stuff up” statements from the McCrory administration today — this time about the impact of the federal government shut-down on poor people in need of assistance.

At a made-for-the-media event at a food bank in Charlotte that also featured State Budget Director Art Pope and DHHS Secretary Aldona Wos, the Guv made a big show of his concern for the poor by publicly releasing a whopping $750,000 to food banks. McCrory also made this remarkable statement:

“Federal services are not political chess pieces. Real people are being impacted in very real ways. The political brinkmanship must end.”

Wos was quoted in the Guv’s press release as saying:

“This is heartbreaking. My top concern is that, as the shutdown lingers, there will be hardship for those who depend on these services.”

You got that? The very same people who played political chess with hundreds of millions of dollars in federal Medicaid and unemployment dollars that would have helped millions of people if myriad tangible and critical ways (and in Pope’s case, the very same guy who is funding the anarchist/Tea Party campaign to hold the government hostage) are now crying crocodile tears about “hardship” for people in need.

All in all, it was a truly shameful bit of dishonest and hypocrisy-ridden political theatre.

1. Alan

October 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

The blatant hypocrisy of this leaves me just about speechless. If Grand Wizard McCrory wants to end “political brinkmanship”, then he needs to take a look at his own administration. It would appear that all the negative publicity they’ve been receiving is causing them to panic, and rightly so.

I’ve witnessed a great deal of political deceit and obfuscation in my time, but this whopper goes to the top of the list. In addition to having no morals and no shame, it appears they also have absolutely no sense of embarrassment either.

2. Steve Harrison

October 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm

“Heartbreaking?” Give me a break. Wos hasn’t lifted a finger to help those in need, even when resources were readily available. WIC, SNAP, TANF, it’s the same old story. Massive fail, followed by tear-jerking sound-bites.

It’s one thing to fail in your mission, but to follow that failure with theatrical fakery to convince the public that you really care is just…the word “disgusting” falls short, but it will have to do for now.

3. john guillaume

October 14, 2013 at 3:02 pm

WHY would anyone believe the group of MORONS.

4. April

October 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm

The food banks certainly need the money. The decisions made by McCrory, Wos, and the General Assembly this year have increased the demand being placed on the food banks. How ironic that this funding comes on the same day that the state has decided to shut down Work First, which will place further demand on the food banks.

5. MS

October 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm

The State Fair is in town. And just like the fast talking roadies who steal your quarters on a rigged game on the midway, McCrory, Pope and Wos will smile as they empty your pockets and snatch the fried dough right from your crying child’s tiny hands. These three Jones Street Cretins have shown their evil Tea Party stripes – their goal is to throw NC’s middle class and poor under the bus. But if caught, they will act completely shocked and oh so concerned that NC’s citizens are being run over by said bus. And then, because they think we are stupid and not paying attention, they will make up some outlandish story about how it must have been YOU who drove that bus over those poor people. “We really do care about non-rich folk”, they will smirk. Hateful liars and thieves are all they are. NC needs to keep up the public pressure on all of McCrory’s criminals. I bet under all these political games are some impeachable acts – don’t stop investigating and airing their putrid laundry until we can replace them with real leaders!

6. david esmay

October 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Didn’t McCrony just add 358 people to the unemployment line by laying them off at NC Division of Workforce Solutions? How Orwellian. “I will reduce unemployment by increasing unemployment”, Pat McCrory.

7. Sandra Richardson

October 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Taking responsibility for your political revenge against President Obama isn’t something I expect from you Pat McCroy. You are deceitful, and along with Wos and Pope incapable of doing your job for all North Carolinians. I REALLY DON’T CARE ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL ADGENDA! Your decisions are baseless and hurting the people you were elected to protect and serve. I predict you will be a one term Governor. Your blantant lying has been proven. The idea that you would spend 230,000. now down to 100,000. on bathrooms while me and my fellow citizens are not going to reap the benefits of the Afforadable Care Act and are literally starving to death is incomprehensivle, inhuman, and plain ole dirty politics.How do you people sleep at night?! I am no longer a proud North Carolinian, I am ashamed of my government and damn mad.

8. Alan

October 14, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I guess the Civitas trolls and interns must be having a hard time figuring out how to respond to this one.