Federal judge blocks Texas abortion law

U.S. District Judge Lee Yeakel  today struck down provisions of abortion restrictions enacted in Texas this summer, finding that the requirement that doctors have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the abortion clinic unreasonably restrict a woman’s legal right to an abortion.

The full decision in the case, Planned Parenthood v. Abbott, is here.

1. NitWitCharmer

October 28, 2013 at 5:59 pm

And yet again we have an example of an unAmerican individual, likely a Democrat, who in this case does not believe in the liberty of individuals to simply have a chance at life….

2. ML

October 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I don’t see how deciding that the governments intrusion into what happens in the body of a woman is as important as the liberty of “individuals” to have a chance at life make a person unamerican.

3. NitWitCharmer

October 28, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Is a foundation in liberty not a uniquely American characteristic?

I believe most Americans would believe so.

If one does not protect the most fundamental of all liberties, the liberty upon which all others rest, life, then how can one claim to be American?

Defending the liberties of all, whether black, white, indian, prenatal, gay, religious, etc is the most fundamental of government duties and those who believe otherwise are unAmerican.

4. ML

October 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm

His right to think as he wishes is pretty American too. Being told what to believe is not. You can be anti-abortion, pro-choice and American at the same time. That’s America right there.

5. DarthVelma

October 29, 2013 at 7:16 am

Tell ya what Nit Wit, the day the US passes a law that requires men to donate organs to anyone who needs them at any time, then maybe we can talk about banning abortion. Because that’s what forcing a woman to go through a pregnancy is…forced organ donation of EVERY organ in her body. No one can be forced to even donate blood for someone after they are born. But you’re perfectly fine telling woman, and ONLY women, that they MUST donate every system in their bodies for 9 months. And a lot of times, not all of those organs return to their pre-pregnancy state afterward. Pregnancy can have life-long consequences.

Even the most normal pregnancy is hell on a woman’s body (not that you care). There’s no other situation where a person would be forced to sacrifice their health (and potentially their life) for another person after they’re born.

And don’t think we didn’t notice that in your list at the end of people whose liberties should be defended, you didn’t include women. Kinda says it all.

6. NitWitCharmer

October 29, 2013 at 9:04 am

The list included “all”.

Do you not include Women under “all” people. If not, what drives you to exclude or single out women from “all” Americans?

I would also note that nearly all parents would give their lives for their children. I know I would give my life for not only my children, but the children of others. But you? Apparently you would not even donate an organ, not even if that donation is temporary.

The selfishness is staggering.

7. Alan

October 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

NWT yet again calling eveyone who he disagrees with unAmerican. How very unAmerican of you, again.

Yet more bat-**** crazy talk from the right. World Net Daily is missing one of it’s contributers….

8. DarthVelma

October 29, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Nit Wit, your name couldn’t be more appropriate. Yes, I include woman in ALL Americans. Just thought it showed where your head is at when in listing specific groups, on a topic about women, that you couldn’t be bothered to list them specifically.

And while you might be willing to risk your own life for your children, there is NO law that FORCES you to do so. You can’t be forced to donate blood for your kids. You can’t be forced to donate bone marrow. Or a kidney. Not even it that person will die otherwise. If the law cannot force someone to donate those things to a child after it is born, then it is treating fetuses BETTER than already born people if it forces women to stay pregnant.

Selfishness is demanding that women act in accordance with your beliefs in a situation that you will never have to be in. Selfishness is demanding that women carry every pregnancy to term no matter the impact on her life, her body, and the lives of any children/family she may already have.

I can guaran-damn-tee you would be up in arms about your “liberty” if the government ever tried to pass laws that tried to control your life to the same extent. You say you believe in liberty, but apparently you don’t…at least not for everyone. Not for people born with uteri.

9. NitWitCharmer

October 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

DarthVelma said:

I am just an American who still believes in American values and who is extending an invitation to others to consider embracing liberty for all, even the prenatal.

That said, I recognize that it is difficult for some to give to another’s need to live.

10. DarthVelma

October 29, 2013 at 12:38 pm

“Fidelity to individual liberty is a foundational American belief that has little to do with me.”

What a crock of s***. I seem to recall from my history that the founders of this country only believed in individual liberty for property owning white men. I guess we can all see where you get your antediluvian opinions from after all.

I stand by my assertion that you absolutely do not believe in individual liberty for all. You most certainly do not believe in individual liberty for women.

11. NitWitCharmer

October 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Alan said:

NWT yet again calling eveyone who he disagrees with unAmerican.

That would be offensive.

I only note that those who demonstrably do not believe in liberty for all are not operating under American values and as such denying the liberty of the prenatal is an unAmerican value.

12. NitWitCharmer

October 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Yours is an odd assertion being that women aborted in the womb do not have the “right to choose”. ..but I suppose you are empowered by the sense that you are more equal than they…

What you call liberty for women is really just liberty for you.

Americans like myself, however, do not feel that some women are more equal than others. Americans feel that all are deserving of the same liberties you and I enjoy.

As to the founders, they overlayed the ideal of liberty over an imperfect nascent nation, an ideal that has shown the way to liberating blacks from a system of slavery coddled by Democrats, a system of segregation arranged by Democrats, even liberating blacks from the Democrat founded Klan.

That light of liberty has even shown us the way from the progressive embrace of eugenics across our nation and within our state borders.

One can only hope the light of liberty will deliver the unborn from the modern Democrat iteration of slavery and eugenics that is abortion.

Would you consider embracing liberty for all?

13. DarthVelma

October 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm

You really don’t get it, though that isn’t a surprise. If I can be forced to support a fetus with my organs against my will while you cannot be forced to do anything even remotely similar, then you and I DO NOT enjoy equal liberty.

No one ever argues that your body does not belong to you. Until you can be forced to let another being use your body against your will, I don’t want to hear your blibber blabber.

14. NitWitCharmer

October 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm

If you truly believe your sense inequality trumps the life of another then you have entirely lost sight of American virtue.

And furthermore, if you feel that you are being forced to respect the liberty of any individual, black, white, indian, prenatal, Jewish, etc. then you should question your underlying morality. For Americans respect for liberty should be automatic.

Please consider returning to American values. It is there that you will find virtue.

15. Alan

October 29, 2013 at 6:16 pm

DarthVelma, you nailed it. What a crock of s***. NWC is caught in a time warp… GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS!

16. NitWitCharmer

October 29, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Alan said:

NWC is caught in a time warp

Why do you wish to relegate liberty to history?