Chart – The real winners and losers from Obamacare

Justin Wolfers created this chart with data from John Gruber and Ryan Lizza. It shows clearly and graphically how the insurance market is affected by changes in the law, including the fact that  the vast majority of people with either employer or Medicare/caid coverage are not really affected at all:

wolferschart

1. NitWitCharmer

November 1, 2013 at 5:09 pm

80% ‘Unaffected” (largely people who keep their current employer plan)

Otherwise known as those who benefit from the one year extension made available to corporations. Just wait a year and the 80% shoe will drop…

Centralized bureaucracies picking winners and losers is unAmerican.

2. Jack

November 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm

If only you knew what you are talking about and knew how to say it.

3. NitWitCharmer

November 2, 2013 at 1:29 am

Jack said:

…and knew how to say it.

Fair enough.

Who are the 80% in that blue area?

They are the employed who get to keep their plan because the corporations they work for are not being held to the same standard individuals currently are.

While individuals have been required since Oct 1 to meet ObamaCare’s Cadillac insurance plan standards, individuals who work for corporations are protected from those same standards for one year.

This is the the result of the one year exemption Obama gave to corporations. But note that that exemption will expire in 11 months. When that exemption does expire we will see an avalanche of citizens not keeping the plans they like… the 80% listed in blue above.

4. Jack

November 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Again, “If only you knew what you are talking about.”

5. NitWitCharmer

November 3, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Jack repeats:

Again, “If only you knew what you are talking about.”

If you believe that employer insurance plans will be unchanged after corporations are forced to meet ObamaCare requirements 11 months from now you must believe that if one likes their plan they will be able to keep it…period.

Sad.

6. NitWitCharmer

November 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Found this comment over at the Charlotte Observer

<blockquote cite="The fact that there are no left wingers here supporting it speaks volumes at the moment. I am black and I can honestly say by a margin of 8-2 my friends do not like this and will voting against Democrats in my circle and it's wide. They did this mess without Republicans and they are going to pay a price for the next 2 elections they didn't dream would happen. My company insurance has sky rocketed and will be cancelled after Dec. 2015. I got a one year reprieve because Obama gave businesses that reprieve. They will however help with finances to seek insurance from a private company. The question no Democrat can answer is why mess up an entire system to give 20 million insurance? Of course the reason is to control the citizens of this country in every way possible and gain access to everything we own.”>

7. NitWitCharmer

November 3, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Take two:
    I found this comment over at the Charlotte Observer:

The fact that there are no left wingers here supporting it speaks volumes at the moment. I am black and I can honestly say by a margin of 8-2 my friends do not like this and will voting against Democrats in my circle and it’s wide. They did this mess without Republicans and they are going to pay a price for the next 2 elections they didn’t dream would happen. My company insurance has sky rocketed and will be cancelled after Dec. 2015. I got a one year reprieve because Obama gave businesses that reprieve. They will however help with finances to seek insurance from a private company. The question no Democrat can answer is why mess up an entire system to give 20 million insurance? Of course the reason is to control the citizens of this country in every way possible and gain access to everything we own.

8. Alan

November 4, 2013 at 12:51 pm

NWT, you really should stop with the unAmerican comments. It makes you look like a fool.

9. LayintheSmakDown

November 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Alan/ML

Actually the 80% portion seems to leave out a key demographic. All the people who had insurance the past 3-4 years who have had to eat the pre-implementation increases the majority of insurance companies have implemented. I know my insurance has increased an average of $50-60 per year each of those years and I expect the same or more this year.