Char-O: Five people getting great deals on health insurance through Obamacare

Great reporting by the Charlotte Observer’s Karen Garloch over the weekend. While early frustration with the website showed, the five people she profiled were all getting a better deal on health coverage – much, much better. And to Garloch’s credit, she went into the details of people’s current plans and what they were purchasing now.  Just one example:

Simmons was laid off in June 2012 after 30 years with a Suffolk, Va., chemical plant. He and his wife, Briding, both 59, moved to Gastonia to live with their adult daughter. Simmons collects unemployment pay, and both he and his wife are going to school to prepare for new careers.

Today he pays a premium of about $300 a month for health insurance for himself and his wife. That’s a reduced rate. Because his previous employer was adversely affected by foreign imports, Simmons gets federal assistance with expenses for education and insurance.

Knowing that will run out at the end of the year, Simmons went online when enrollment opened Oct. 1 for the Affordable Care Act. He could never get the website to work properly. But in mid-October, he stopped in at Carolina Health Insurance Market in Gastonia, and an agent got through that day to compare plans and view subsidies.

Because Simmons’ current income is between 100 to 150 percent of the federal poverty level, the couple was eligible for a $1,150 premium subsidy as well as assistance with deductibles and co-pays.

For a “silver” plan with Coventry Health Care of the Carolinas, they will pay $17.74 per month instead of the “sticker” price of $1,168 a month. Instead of a $3,750 deductible, theirs will be zero. Instead of a $10 co-pay for each primary care visit, they’ll pay zero. And instead of $75 to see a specialist, they’ll pay $20.

Last week, Simmons made his first premium payment for coverage that starts Jan. 1. If he finds a job in 2014 and his income goes up, the calculations will change. But for now, he said: “I think it’s a great deal.”

1. Alex

November 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

What a bizarre posting ! Millions of folks are getting cancellation notices of their current insurance with no replacement in sight, and he’s celebrating over just these 5 folks.Obamacare is a total disaster ! Either Adam is in a state of denial, or he has drunk the Kool-Aid way too long.

2. ML

November 13, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Or it proves the system does works. Remember Rome wasn’t built in a day. #obamcarenotafailure!

3. CarolinaSistah

November 13, 2013 at 3:44 pm

The article fails to mention that someone else’s premiums, co-pays, and deductibles will increase in order to subsidize this man and his wife. This is posing a problem for millions of people who can’t afford the increases. What are they suppose to do?

4. Alex

November 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Someone else has also been drinking the Kool-Aid, and incidentally remember what happened to Rome. !

5. ML

November 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Yea I do, the rise of Christian influence, seems they cause a lot of destruction…

6. Alan

November 13, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Alex,

Perhaps you are the one addicted to the Kool-Aid? The policies you cite as being cancelled are for the most part termed “junk” policies, from 2nd and 3rd tier insurance companies. You know, the ones that offer ridiculously low premiums and then refuse to pay out on any claim? Many folks would refer to this type of insurance as a con.

7. Alex

November 14, 2013 at 8:30 am

As usual ML or his namesake Alan, you are totally misled by Democratic strategists trying to downplay this huge problem. Most of these policies are Blue Cross,Humana etc, individual major medical policies that do exactly what people wanted them to do at very good prices, and with no frills. In every case premiums will be significantly higher if they try to go into the exchange. Most of these cancellations have been coming from reputable insurance carriers like BCBS .If I had to guess,I would expect you know probably next to nothing about health insurance, and are simply repeating the talking points

8. DCW

November 14, 2013 at 11:06 am

I don’t know too much about insurance but I know enough to read and think for myself. So..I
    tried to enroll today with ACA. no problems, and took 40 minutes. Compared to BCBS NC plan I had at $1216.00 per month have I now have better plan by going through the exchange for $704.00 per month. Deductible went from $2500 to $1000. Copay dropped to $10.00. This new plan is with BCBS NC!! What a horrible experience it was for me to take some time to save thousands of dollars a year. And, I am not a Democrat!!

If you do not check out the ACA you are crazy. Educate yourself. BCBS NC told me I would lose my existing plan permanently if I chose a plan from the exchange. They didn’t tell me I would be shocked at the opportunities to get a better plan with BCBS NC for less if I went through the exchange. They don’t want you to shop around and hope the scare tactics will work. Ignorance is bliss.

9. Ziad K Abdelnour

November 19, 2013 at 7:49 am

It is clear to me today that Americans want health care; but they don’t particularly want health insurance.

Health insurance companies, however, convinced the government that they are instrumental to the delivery of health care, so the government is compelling people to buy that.

The Administration’s argument is that too many people prefer to be “free riders” — that is, they prefer not to pay for their own insurance while health care reaches an emergency status and is paid for in full by government services (such as emergency rooms)