Gay students and children from gay families barred from private Christian school eligible for taxpayer funds

The Star News in Wilmington reports that Myrtle Grove Christian School, which is eligible to receive taxpayer-funded private school vouchers beginning with the 2014-15 school year, will also begin denying admission or continued enrollment to gay students and children from gay families in 2014.

All students’ families will be forced to sign a policy that says they will not support or participate in homosexual activity.

A letter outlining this policy change said:

“The school reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse admission of an applicant or discontinue enrollment of a student if the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home or the activities of a student are counter to or are in opposition to the Biblical lifestyle the school teaches.”

Myrtle Grove Christian School is listed in the Division of Non-Public Education’s Directory of Non-Public Schools, which means it will be eligible to receive taxpayer-funded private school vouchers in 2014.

The Wilmington Faith and Values website has an interesting post up about the intersection of discriminatory practices like Myrtle Grove’s and the school’s eligibility for taxpayer funds, in addition to examining other Wilmington private schools’ policies on homosexuality.

1. willard cottrell

November 20, 2013 at 9:58 am

This has been the goal of those supporting ‘charter schools’ from the beginning. It’s simply the separate but equal bull**** we’ve been thru in the past. One can look at the news and each day see that charter schools are experiencing bad press. (Just recently in Ohio) However, the Michelle Rhee propaganda machine continues to lure Americans into the false premise of private is better than public as far as education goes.

The teaparty/gop has honed its message very well and continues to find new ways to keep the ‘southern strategy’ alive and well. Frankly, I have little confidence that any of the lies really matter to the average N Carolinian. They’ve been hoodwinked by simplistic ideas.

2. Cheryl

November 20, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I am so very glad my children are all out of school now. Theres no way I would let my children attend any charter school, they are only promoting hate bigotry. I don’t believe our taxpayer money should be used for charter schools.

3. Teresa

November 20, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Myrtle Grove Christian is not a charter; it’s a private Christian school.

That said I was personally out front protesting this last weekend and will be there next week.

While they may legally be able to do this as a private school, it’s morally reprehensible.

4. Joe Nathan

November 20, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Many people who have worked for and believe in charter public schools strongly oppose public funding for private and parochial schools. I helped write Minnesota’s charter law and have worked on this issue in a number of states. I oppose public funds to private or parochial schools.

I also oppose public funds to public schools that have admissions tests.

5. Mike

November 20, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Wrote a length article about these issues in 2003: http://www.yalelawjournal.org/images/pdfs/375.pdf

6. Pleaseclarify

November 20, 2013 at 9:42 pm

The school referenced in the blog is a PRIVATE school. Charters are termed as public schools. I’m confused about how private organizations can receive federal funding and yet not be accountable for following federal guidelines when it comes to discrimination policies. It is my understanding that once an entity accepts federal funding, it cannot ignore such expectations/laws. Any help?

7. John

November 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm

There are huge parts to each side of this. Going with the Christian side, it isnt fair to them to make them pay taxes for children to attend an Evolution-centered school. (Especially with there being such little evidence for Evolution comparatively). Going with the Liberal side, they dont want to pay for the taxes of people who dont support “equality.” Well, my challenge to America is this: If you don’t like what the government is doing, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to change it.