First year teacher already looking to leave

Today’s Soapbox submissions include a story from one first year teacher who is already looking for a way out of her path toward financial ruin.

I literally scrape by every month to make ends meet with maybe only 10 dollars to spare after the necessary costs (food, rent, gas, etc). If I am sick, I try to not go to the doctor as my copays are $30, which is too much for me to spend.

I would love to get my master’s degree, but cannot afford to get it with my current pay. I teach very low-income students, so I pay for everything they need (pencils, folders, markers, pens, erasers, notebooks, binders and anything else required for my class throughout the semester).

I am not bitter in doing so, but I have to eat and take care of myself too. While I love teaching in the state of North Carolina (I love my school and my location), I do not foresee myself staying here much longer due to the current pay level.

Read this teacher’s story and more over at Your Soapbox.

1. Alex

November 21, 2013 at 7:42 am

Why is this news ? There has always been a very high turnover rate for this profession in the first 5 years.Salaries haven’t decreased any so it’s fairly easy to look at the salary levels before going into teaching. In this lousy economy, there are many jobs that are not keeping pace with inflation.Try getting by on a fixed income these days.

2. RG

November 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

Name another profession where the employee is EXPECTED to purchase supplies REGULARLY out of their salaries. There aren’t many. Sure, some trade jobs might require you to buy closed toe shoes or uniforms, but few jobs require you to buy your own supplies or supplies for your customers (for most self-run businesses, these would be business expenses, the cost of which you pass on to the customer).

I spend $1000-2000 a year as an educator, out of my own pocket. The tax benefit, by the way, is minimal.

3. Alex

November 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

Any out of pocket expenses are more than offset by the future pension and healthcare benefits for teachers that far exceed other comparable occupations in the same salary range. There are not many jobs available now that you can retire at age 50 with both pension and health benefits.

4. gregflynn

November 21, 2013 at 10:43 am

There are not many jobs available where present day expenses can be paid with future benefits.

5. DCW

November 21, 2013 at 10:46 am

NC teacher pay is ranked near the bottom nationally. Move to Maryland and double your salary with real benefits and education ranking in the top 5% in the country. It is easy to compare the effects of poor education in this country, just look at the results. NC is determined to create a education system of “haves”, private, vs “have nots”, public school. This system allows for the bigots to have their own schools and “select” the students that attend.

6. Alex

November 21, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Also greg, there are not many countries where present day expenses are paid with future debt !

7. Alan