No Medicaid expansion in NC means rejecting more federal $ than we get for highways, military

commonwealth rprtA new Commonwealth Fund report finds North Carolina gives up $2.6 billion in net federal funds by not doing the Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act.  The total amount of net federal money that NC gives up by rejecting the Medicaid expansion far exceeds the total federal money we get for our highways and also exceeds the total federal money spent in our state by the military.  I think many people don’t realize the economic hit we are taking by turning down this expansion.

One other interesting statistic from the report.  The Fund estimates that while NC would spend $690 million by 2022 for its Medicaid expansion (remember the NC Institute of Medicine estimated this state spending would actually be more than made up for by the billions of federal money that would be drawn down and replace current health spending).  Compare to this to what NC will spend in incentive payments to attract business to the state by 2022:  $817 million.  Amazing that sort of spending is OK, but insuring 500,000 of our people and creating 25,000 health jobs is not.

1. LayintheSmakDown

December 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Based on the state of roads in my area, we need to lobby more for those road dollars. That would do a lot more towards recovery and helping people than anything else outlined in this post.

2. Alan

December 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Tin foil hat time again…. repeat ad-nauseum… “I hate Obamacare”.

We get it, Civitas trolls hate Obamacare.

3. GOP Rules

December 6, 2013 at 10:31 am

Alan/ML,
    Please, as a paid policy watch employee troll, spare the repeated ad-nauseum mantra of “Obamacare and Medicare are great!!”

4. Alan

December 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

GOP Rules/LSD/NWC/Doogie et al.

Please, as paid interns at Civitas, spare us the repeated ad-nauseum mantra of “We hate Obama”.

5. wncgirl

December 6, 2013 at 3:31 pm

At least Alan… last time I checked… isn’t paid by the state budget director… talk about corruption/conflict of interest/pay to play/ NCs GOP reeks.

6. mgoodri

December 6, 2013 at 5:39 pm

I live in SC, and I feel the decision made by hateful Haley was a fiscally incompetent decision. It was made purely on her irrational political ideologies. I’m afraid we’re going to lose our hospitals because of her selfish political beliefs. Who is going to reimburse hospitals for the people that get their health care through the Emergency Room? She’s giving up $4 billion. To me it’s a breach of the oath she took as governor!

7. GOP Rules

December 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm

wnc, what did you check on? I can assure you I am not paid by anyone to do this…..me gracing this comment board with my presence is my own little cross to bear. It is quite cute for the commenters here to think they and their opinions are on the radar of a leading think tank like Civitas…LOL.